Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Loose floor joints..repair?

I have taken up the carpet in my 22ft Chieftian....The floor boards are good but I have three loose joints where the floor boards are seamed. I thought I would go below and back them up but the metal under the floor is over two inches below the actual floor boards.

I cannot put in new vinyl floors until I make these joints secure. The problems are 4 feet apart and are not across the whole floor but only down the high traffic areas down the middle of the coach.

Because I cannot get to the underside to back the joints up. I'll have to do something from above.

Surely someone has had this problem before.

Thanks, Dan
britcardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:08 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Drill some holes in the offending areas and inject some Gorilla Glue in there, or something else. You cold try using a disposable plastic putty knife to force GG into the joints too. Gorilla Glue foams 3x its volume and will try to fill in voids and such.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

How about gluing a 1/4 inch underlayment across the whole floor?
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

these are butt joints with no backing or support underneath.
britcardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Rout, chisel, or make multiple circular saw passes along the seam to make a dado (flat bottomed groove) say, a half inch or 3/4 wide, and no more than half the thickness of the subfloor. (I like his 1/4 inch idea.) Then glue and tack or screw in strips from the top to fit the dado. I would use strips of plywood rather than lumber so it doesn't split along the joint.

Actually, Old Engineer was suggesting that you lay a new 1/4 inch "underlayment" atop the entire existing subfloor. Masonite would work, or ply. I'd glue and screw it down. with extra care along the joints. That should stabilize the joints plenty.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOweather View Post
Actually, Old Engineer was suggesting that you lay a new 1/4 inch "underlayment" atop the entire existing subfloor. Masonite would work, or ply. I'd glue and screw it down. with extra care along the joints. That should stabilize the joints plenty.

This.

I was thinking 1/4 inch plywood staggered over the existing subfloor joints using a good quality floor adhesive applied per product directions. Then using a weighted floor roller to ensure it has a good seal to the existing subfloor. I wasn't thinking of screws because they can damage the new vinyl. If they are counter sunk and then filled that should preserve the integrity of the new vinyl. I would screw along the existing subfloor joints, perimeter and in the field. When doing this in a house I used 1 ft spacing but I'm not sure that would work well in an RV so would just wing it to what looks like enough. The main purpose of the screws is ensure a tight adhesive bond.

The reason I was thinking of plywood is even 1/4 inch will add some rigidity without a lot of extra weight. Not a bad thing in an RV. 1/4 inch shouldn't throw off heights of toe kicks and other finishing materials either. You can get it with one good side for the vinyl and a rough side for underneath which should help the adhesive get a better grip. If you are only redoing a portion of the floor you should be able to get thresholds that will compensate for the height differences.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair