Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2023, 02:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

locked out of RV 2012 Vista 26P

We started our journey from WI to TX in December & have been locked out twice, keys inside. We were in Bald Nob, AR the first time, when it was blustery cold. Sat at a McDonalds for 2 hours trying to find a locksmith who would come out. One did but couldn't get in. My husband talked to a very nice local man - a trucker has had to break into his truck a time or two, who gave suggestions and finally, after assurance we wouldn't hold him liable if he broke a window, he was able to open passenger side, crawl in, hand our dog out the window to my husband, then looked at the door, which was NOT locked. A friend told us he always leaves driver side window unlocked because this happens with some frequency.

It happened again. My husband was just about to climb in the driver side window when I pounded on the door. HARD. Out of frustration. Near the lock and near the handle. Tried it and it opened. So Yay for that. The same friend sent us a You Tube video about fixing the striker plate. In that case, the door wouldn't open from outside or inside.

Anyone out there have the same problem? What was your fix?
Sueh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 04:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Sue,
Absolutely no doubt that there are plenty of Threads to be found here when you do a site-search for:
locked out
So sorry this has happened to you. From your description, you are driving a Class A. Why Winnebago ever stopped making a second door in the Class A is beyond me. A Driver's door is a great thing to have.
I would recommend that you get an entirely new lockset for your only door.
Eagle5
Old 02-02-2023, 05:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

This does not sound like your problem, but when our RV was new I got locked out twice as well. By chance my wife was inside both times

But I played with that door and bolt and I never could see an issue. I finally assumed what if it was User error?

After close review I noticed that in my case if I am not paying attention, and in haste while opening door from inside, you can inadvertently press that little red know while simultaneously opening door. So when you go out and shut the door it locks behinds you. I could easily repeat the error. Coached my wife on the issue and we have not been locked out in 2 years.

I did buy a 3rd set of spare keys that we keep in undisclosed location.

I say it may not be your problem because you seem pretty sure door was NOT physically locked by the knob inside?

I will say this, if someone could prove to me the locking mechanism actually failed, I would not have it fixed or buy another. Get a new electronic / keypad unit.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had the same problem with the red inside lock . Put tape to keep it unlocked , not locked out since . Do have both keys hidden .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Had the same problem with the red inside lock . Put tape to keep it unlocked , not locked out since . Do have both keys hidden .
I believe if the design was to press red know UP to lock, the unwanted phenomenon would not occur. In some RVs you are actually stepping down at about 45 degrees while at the same time pressing the handle down, it does not take much to accidentally hit that red knob while door is swing open locks or barely locks just enough to NOT be able to open the door.

2 plus years now, no money spent, and it has never happened again
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 08:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Hi again Sue,
What year and model Winnebago do you have?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 02-02-2023, 10:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueh View Post
We started our journey from WI to TX in December & have been locked out twice, keys inside. We were in Bald Nob, AR the first time, when it was blustery cold. Sat at a McDonalds for 2 hours trying to find a locksmith who would come out. One did but couldn't get in. My husband talked to a very nice local man - a trucker has had to break into his truck a time or two, who gave suggestions and finally, after assurance we wouldn't hold him liable if he broke a window, he was able to open passenger side, crawl in, hand our dog out the window to my husband, then looked at the door, which was NOT locked. A friend told us he always leaves driver side window unlocked because this happens with some frequency.

It happened again. My husband was just about to climb in the driver side window when I pounded on the door. HARD. Out of frustration. Near the lock and near the handle. Tried it and it opened. So Yay for that. The same friend sent us a You Tube video about fixing the striker plate. In that case, the door wouldn't open from outside or inside.

Anyone out there have the same problem? What was your fix?

I suggest a low tech and low-cost solution: keep a set of RV keys, or at a minimum an extra door key, clipped to a beltloop of your jeans.

I've been doing that since we bought our Minnie Winnie and never have to worry about a lockout.
Old 02-08-2023, 04:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Door Frame

This happened a lot in our first RV on both doors—2004 Adventurer. It was more that the door was jammed than locked. It was especially noticeable able when all four wheels weren’t level. The door frame flexes but the chassis doesn’t.

Try lifting up or pushing down on the handle as you pull it open.
HouseofFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Words cannot express how glad I was to find this solution for under two hundred bucks!

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

numeric pad OR remote fob. Installation was a snap.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:44 PM   #10
1996 Itasca 29Q

You can get an electronic lock to replace the keyed lockset on the main door, a fairly simple replacement and will still have a key if the batteries fail!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Do we have ANY IDEA what make/model/year/chassis/ this coach is the person is asking about? The original post was on the 2nd, this is the 8th!
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:52 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

$37 dollar solution

We use one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We hang it off the roof ladder. We have never needed it, but our repair shop needed to get into a compartment and this lock box saved us a drive to his shop.
Noah4448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:53 AM   #13
Just Trying to Help

The OP's profile says "Winnebago Vista 26," no year listed. Neither of the other two threads the OP started (link here) have more info about their coach. The profile also says:

"Last Activity: 02-02-2023 05:28 PM"

which explains why we haven't heard more since post #1.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 12:22 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Also happened to me twice, the second time I really trashed my door opening, it was not fully closed and I didn't want to fully close it cause I had some room to work it. After much trying, I finally just closed it all the way, what do you know, the dam thing opened!
Cr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 12:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Locked out of motorhome

Our Winnebago Vista 26p is a 2012. Thanks for your replies & ideas

Sorry I haven't given info. The park we're in has poor wifi. Hard to get on and kicked off randomly. Finally figured out how to use my phone as a hotspot. Now I can get on anytime as long as my phone is charged. This is a learning experience trip!

. All 3 times we were locked out, the door was not locked. A friend sent us a You Tube video of how a repairman couldn't get in to fix something else, crawled thru window and couldn't get out. Had to take the door apart and adjust something. Way beyond our desire to fix ourselves.

I love the idea of an electronic lock. That would disable the original system, right?
Old 02-20-2023, 12:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The guy who got in the first time checked the lock and it was not locked. The next 2 times, we checked it right away, and it was not physically on. At least the last 2 times, we were in warm weather.
Old 02-20-2023, 01:13 PM   #17
Site Team

Hi again Sue,
So now that we know your year & model, we can search for ...
2012 Vista Door Lock
... and these two results look very interesting:
  1. 2012 vista OS door locks by accident
  2. Keyless entry for Vista
Thanks, Eagle5