Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #141
Winnebago Camper

The front mechanism of our full wall crapped out a couple of weeks ago and we made it down to LaMesa in Florida and are awaiting parts. As far as the slide being too heavy for the mechanism, I don't know. I have been able to get it in and out without too much effort,,, can move the front half most of the way from inside the coach. Hope the fix takes care of the problem for good, but if not I know I can deal with it till we can get it to the factory in the spring. I still love the Winnie.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #142
Winnebago Camper

Got the coach back in one day from LaMesa, and the slide is working as it should again. Can't say enough about the folks at the dealership, especially Nate, one of the service writers. This is the LaMesa in Sanford.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #143
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteyboy View Post
Got the coach back in one day from LaMesa, and the slide is working as it should again. Can't say enough about the folks at the dealership, especially Nate, one of the service writers. This is the LaMesa in Sanford.
Hi Peteyboy... Mine is making noise again, just like it did before it crapped out on me in May. I had to take it to Camping World (big mistake) for a repair - I was stranded for nearly 3 weeks. The bottom extends about a 3/4 inch out while the top is nearly flush. May be an alignment issue? I hate this Lipper / Scwhintek system..........

I live about 45 minutes from Sanford and I bought this coach at La Mesa in Fort Myers. I will make an appointment with Nate and have them check the system. I am about to embark on a 6 month trip and don't want another issue.

Thanks for the info...

Rick
Old 01-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #144
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grumpy- View Post
Hi Peteyboy... Mine is making noise again, just like it did before it crapped out on me in May. I had to take it to Camping World (big mistake) for a repair - I was stranded for nearly 3 weeks. The bottom extends about a 3/4 inch out while the top is nearly flush. May be an alignment issue? I hate this Lipper / Scwhintek system..........

I live about 45 minutes from Sanford and I bought this coach at La Mesa in Fort Myers. I will make an appointment with Nate and have them check the system. I am about to embark on a 6 month trip and don't want another issue.

Thanks for the info...

Rick
For what it's worth I'll throw in my experience with the front passenger slide on my 2014 Journey. It was doing all the things described in this thread and finally crunched to a halt about 1 1/2 years ago. Took it to Miller's RV in Baton Rouge after several horrific experiences with several Camping Worlds (Don't Go There). Miller's RV took about 2 weeks to remove the slide, reposition it 3/8" toward the rear, replace the 300:1 ratio motors with 500:1 ratio motors, and repaint the side where the molding was moved along the front edge. In the 18-19 months since, I have had NO noise and the slide has worked as it should. It does creep out about 3/4" at the bottom during travel, but this has not been a problem. Miller's RV in Baton Rouge is the BEST RV Dealer I have ever worked with in my 20+ years of owning 5 motorhomes.
lestortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:50 AM   #145
Winnie-Wise

Winnebago should have stayed with HWH, 2 coaches with HWH, 150,000 miles no problems except needed a roller replaced and the slide realleigned afterwards.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:50 AM   #146
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestortue View Post
For what it's worth I'll throw in my experience with the front passenger slide on my 2014 Journey. It was doing all the things described in this thread and finally crunched to a halt about 1 1/2 years ago. Took it to Miller's RV in Baton Rouge after several horrific experiences with several Camping Worlds (Don't Go There). Miller's RV took about 2 weeks to remove the slide, reposition it 3/8" toward the rear, replace the 300:1 ratio motors with 500:1 ratio motors, and repaint the side where the molding was moved along the front edge. In the 18-19 months since, I have had NO noise and the slide has worked as it should. It does creep out about 3/4" at the bottom during travel, but this has not been a problem. Miller's RV in Baton Rouge is the BEST RV Dealer I have ever worked with in my 20+ years of owning 5 motorhomes.
Well, after making my post... I checked the rails and noticed they were chipped away. I lubed the rails with a silicone spray and retracted the passenger front slideout. I was lucky to get it retracted I now have an appointment with La Mesa RV in Sanford, Florida, with NATE (February 9), which is recommended in one of these threads. I also talked to Winnebago and they advised that they are now putting a shim behind the motor, with very good results. Many apologies later, I was told that Winnebago and Lippert are still working on a final solution to the Lippert systems, including the fact that slideouts do tend to extend out a little during travel. I told the Winnebago rep that I use a wood brace on both sides while traveling, and he said he wished everyone would do the same. I told them they should have a braking system. We spent a lot of $$$ and should not have to use wood braces. He agreed...

I have an appointment at the Forest City, Iowa, plant for September 12, 2016. I have quite a list (seals, tile backsplash in both bathrooms, rear AC making a noise different than the front and middle, etc.) for them to repair. After my upcoming 6 month trip around the south, west and northern States, I imagine the list will get longer.

I will keep everyone posted regarding what repairs are done February 9 at La Mesa....
Old 01-31-2016, 11:56 AM   #147
Winnie-Wise

After our slide finally gave out on us, I was at the Tampa RV show and talked to the Winnebago VP over service about the issue. He admitted W made a mistake back then. I did ask who would he recommended in the central FL area that he would take his own coach to get this fixed. He recommended CW in Cocoa, I was shocked being the small dealer the are. He told me that is the dealer he has no issues with and the technicians are more than qualified. I even asked about other dealers in the area and he still said that CW. I called them and talked to the service manager. She got me in that week. It took the technician about 1 hour to write up the form and do all the measurements. They got my extended warranty approval to replace both top gears/rails on the slide the next day. Now we are waiting for Schwintek to build the kits. they were told 2-3 weeks plus 1 week for shipping. then they will get me in that week. we will wait and see. currently living a smaller living space.

bob
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #148
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
After our slide finally gave out on us, I was at the Tampa RV show and talked to the Winnebago VP over service about the issue. He admitted W made a mistake back then. I did ask who would he recommended in the central FL area that he would take his own coach to get this fixed. He recommended CW in Cocoa, I was shocked being the small dealer the are. He told me that is the dealer he has no issues with and the technicians are more than qualified. I even asked about other dealers in the area and he still said that CW. I called them and talked to the service manager. She got me in that week. It took the technician about 1 hour to write up the form and do all the measurements. They got my extended warranty approval to replace both top gears/rails on the slide the next day. Now we are waiting for Schwintek to build the kits. they were told 2-3 weeks plus 1 week for shipping. then they will get me in that week. we will wait and see. currently living a smaller living space.

bob

WOW... That is where I took my coach to have the slideout fixed. NEVER AGAIN. It took 3 weeks to get all the parts, when they installed the rails, I noticed screws missing, I noticed three screws were stripped on another rail, the seal they replaced at the top was not put on properly and I had a major leak until I could get it fixed. They also had to replace the front AC and of course they screwed that up. Another major leak during a rain storm because they did not seal it properly. Sorry to pass this information along but I was warned not to take it there, but I was between a rock and a hard spot... I took my coach to La Mesa to have them correct some of the stuff that CW did wrong.

If you check out the approved Winnebago warranty locations, they don't even get a star. The only one with a star in this area is La Mesa in Sanford. Just FYI
Old 03-01-2016, 04:54 AM   #149
Winnebago Owner

Well... I had another passenger front slide out failure. This was my second complete failure in 7 months.

I took our coach to La Mesa, Sanford, FL. It took 2 weeks to get the parts. The slide out extends and retracts level and evenly. When CW (Cocoa, FL) did the first repair, it never sounded or acted right. I should have listened to the warnings to stay away from CW...

Anyhow, I think... And hopefully... My slide out nightmares have been resolved. I am starting a 6 month road trip April 1 and I have an appointment at Winnebago, Forest City, September 12. I intend to give them a piece of my mind then... I know Winnebago has been fair (rightfully so) in picking up the expense for failed Scwintek slide out systems... I just wish they would pick up the expense of having to move into a motel while the system is being repaired.

Anyone out there having Schwintek issues and are staying in Central Florida, I highly recommend La Mesa, Sanford, FL. Ask for Nathan (service advisor). He was absolutely great. He kept checking the status of the ordered parts and he kept me informed. I ended up with Nathan and La Mesa after I saw a recommendation posted on IRV2. I am glad I saw that post...
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #150
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Grumpy- View Post
Well... I had another passenger front slide out failure. This was my second complete failure in 7 months.

I took our coach to La Mesa, Sanford, FL. It took 2 weeks to get the parts. The slide out extends and retracts level and evenly. When CW (Cocoa, FL) did the first repair, it never sounded or acted right. I should have listened to the warnings to stay away from CW...

Anyhow, I think... And hopefully... My slide out nightmares have been resolved. I am starting a 6 month road trip April 1 and I have an appointment at Winnebago, Forest City, September 12. I intend to give them a piece of my mind then... I know Winnebago has been fair (rightfully so) in picking up the expense for failed Scwintek slide out systems... I just wish they would pick up the expense of having to move into a motel while the system is being repaired.

Anyone out there having Schwintek issues and are staying in Central Florida, I highly recommend La Mesa, Sanford, FL. Ask for Nathan (service advisor). He was absolutely great. He kept checking the status of the ordered parts and he kept me informed. I ended up with Nathan and La Mesa after I saw a recommendation posted on IRV2. I am glad I saw that post...
Forgive me if you mentioned this in a prior post, but how large is the slideout that failed? Was it a full wall slideout? How long is your motorhome?

I have a 27' motorhome (2013 Sunstar 26HE) and my one small slideout has failed once. It was repaired at my local RV dealership and things have been good so far (knock on wood).

I agree with you about these Schwintek slides. Way too many failures IMHO.

Thanks
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:18 AM   #151
Winnebago Watcher

winn

Well I was thinking about going to look at a Itasca 2014 33c. After reading all the issues I will pass. Thank goodness for rv forums.
edfgrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:44 AM   #152

Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Being in Central South Florida for the winter, this is the place to go and get your MH fixed !

B & E RV Service & Repair - RV | Ocala, FL
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 PM   #153
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfgrf View Post
Well I was thinking about going to look at a Itasca 2014 33c. After reading all the issues I will pass. Thank goodness for rv forums.
You should not let the forum sway your thinking, only educate you. You mainly only hear about people with problems and not the thousands of others who never have any. I love my coach and am glad we got this model.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #154
Winnie-Wise

I concur with 530KTM. There will always be good and bad comments on any brand of RV. I went almost 3 years of traveling without any slide issue, then my luck ran out. Got it fixed and it works better than before. Remember these are houses bouncing down the road.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 AM   #155
Winnebago Camper

Lippert Slide Mechanism

I agree with both 530KTM and Majfrizz....have had big passenger side slide "re-engineered" on my 2014 Journey, i.e., the dealer moved it 3/8" toward the rear and replaced the 300:1 ratio motors with 500:1 ratio motors during the initial warranty period and I have not had any noise, or other problems since. If you find a model you like, don't let the Lippert slides stop you.
lestortue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #156
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone had the new Powergear system installed to replace the Schwintec system in the Tour/Ellipse kitchen slide? It looks like the 2016 Tour has the new in wall Powergear system in the kitchen wall slide. My kitchen slide failed on my Ellipse. I'm waiting on parts, but Winnebago claims the new Powergear system is stronger and better than the Schwintec. I hope they are correct.

Scott
smack2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #157
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack2020 View Post
I'm waiting on parts, but Winnebago claims the new Powergear system is stronger and better than the Schwintec. I hope they are correct.
Scott
Well, it can't really be any worse.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:21 AM   #158
Winnie-Wise

I have the 2016 24J, already had the rear motor replaced on my slide. Hope it won't happen again.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #159
Winnebago Owner

The full wall slide with the Lippert system has failed 6 weeks after we bought the unit. It is a 2014 Itasca Sunova 33C. The good news is that Winnebago has agreed to pay for the repair. It turns out the slide was already fixed by another dealer at Winnie's cost in Feb this year. I was also told by Winnie that Power Gear is engineering a retro fit fix and should we have additional problems in the future our unit should qualify for the retrofit.

Winnebago has gotten a lot of bad press over this issue and thought some good news was in order.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:49 AM   #160
Winnebago Watcher

Chalet 2009 slide out issue

I have Winnebago Chalet 2009 (Access(200) 231J )
I have a problem with big (passenger side, rear) slide out. Slide out is Power gear, using DigiSync room slide system by Kwikee. This is a system with two rails each has separate motor (vendor part # 1820111).
Symptom: when I push “OUT” button both arms (left and right) start extending simultaneously for 2 inches, then right (front) motor stops and left(rear) extends for another 2 inches. After that second motor stops and I’m getting fault code 7 – “Stall on rear and front actuator”. When I push “IN” button both motors start and slide goes completely back (no difference between left and right arm when it’s back). Additionally, when I’m pushing the slide from inside I’m able to deploy slide further compare to using only motors.
One more thing: Crank mode works just fine, I’m able to fully deploy slide out with 2 crank handles.
I analyzed codes and one of the suggestions to “replace damaged components on the actuator mechanism” or “re-adjust room to remove excess drag”.
I was able to open rear (left) motor and inspect the gear box, however this rear arm/gear box is not the one causing the code. Front (right) motor is located between fuel tank and the main floor.
I have the following questions:
1. If you had similar symptoms did you have to mess with gear box, rails, motors or it was a simple fix?
2. Is there a way to dis assemble/inspect motor without disconnecting the fuel tank?
3. Is it possible to separate whole right slide out mechanism from slide out room, when slide out is “IN” position?

Thanks
Chalet2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide