Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #121
Winnebago Owner

tmandoug1: That would be a good question to ask the factory.

We have our 3rd Winnebago (12 Tour) and all three have been relatively easy on the maintenance part. No major problems.

If we were to trade for a 2015, a preliminary scouting trip to the factory would be in order. In my opinion, Winnebago has the rest of the coach down pat, except for the doggone DOME on the roof. Others may disagree.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #122
Winnebago Camper

We have been through two slide repairs so far on our 33C. The kitchen/drivers full side slide is the problem. However, the slide still creeps out 1 to 2 inches. Somewhere there is mention of slide locks but my last conversations with them didn't mention this.

We love the coach (except for the engine and wind noise) but this slide problem is making us wonder. Yet Winnebago isn't the only one with this problem.

Right now they seem to be pushing out a ton of product without much QA/QC.

Some are talking class action and that would be a big one.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 10:26 AM   #123
Winnebago Owner

If your slide creeps, and don't have a slide lock...it's easy to get one like:
Slide Lock for your RV on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

The original slide locks for our RV were lost by the dealer...easy to replace.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
If your slide creeps, and don't have a slide lock...it's easy to get one like:
Slide Lock for your RV on Sale - PPL Motor Homes

The original slide locks for our RV were lost by the dealer...easy to replace.

Best luck
yep thats the same one i use took care of all slide creep.
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #125
Winnebago Owner

We'll add another one to the full wall slide break. Out this weekend and the slide would not move out, buddy and I pushed it while wife was on the button. From the inside, it was the left side that was hung up. After I had it out I noticed the screws on the rail were loose and one on the upper rail snapped off not to mention 2 screws that completely came out. I tighten them back up and the slide went in ok. Got it home and screws were loose again. Tighten up moved slide in and out a few time and heard the bang near the upper motor, slide did not want to go out. Will have to take it in. Had rv just over 1 year and had the full wall slide in and out about 30 times or so.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #126
Winnebago Owner

We've had our 35F a little over a year and the factory has added larger rails. I also noticed the screws were loose after 8 hr ride home. I tightened every screw on the 4 rails that were loose and seemed to work quieter. We have used rv 2 or 3 times since then (slide in and out 3 times) and screws are loose again. Thought I might use Locktite (sp.) but will consult factory first.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #127
Winnebago Owner

I have wondered if the slide creep contributes to some of the slide failures? When the slide is all the way in the weight is held by the endwall. When it creeps out, even a little, the endwall offers no support and all the twisting force is held by the rails, motorgear and guide wheels. The bigger the slide the more force, but mechanism is still the same size.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:53 AM   #128
Winnebago Watcher

I have a new 2016 Winnebago Vista 27N with 3 Schwintek slides. Lots of trouble with the large slide. timing and stalling have had to use "manual overide" to get it in.
Also it does not stay locked in place when retracted. When I make a left turn it comes out about 3 inches. Seems the motor brake is not working. I have only had this "New" rig 2 months. unhappy camper.
Fiddlin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:23 AM   #129
Winnebago Owner

Slide

I thought for 2016 they went to the single gear, not screwed to the slide, but a stainless steel rack gear only attached at the end on all 4 corners. When they made this improvement, looks like they forgot to provide with a positive lock to secure the slides
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #130
Winnebago Owner

Slide issue

Just spoke with Winnebago customer service about a slide failure on my 2013 Winnebago tour QD ,large passenger slide. They will replace entire mechanism under goodwill warranty. Was told that lippert is working on a power gear assembly that will fit and replace the current mechanism if the replacement unit were to fail a second time. The power gear assembly is not yet developed but they are hoping it will be available soon. Good news for all of us who have had to endure slide failures.

Ranger Rick
2013 Winnebago Tour QD
2010 Chevy Equinox
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #131
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
Just spoke with Winnebago customer service about a slide failure on my 2013 Winnebago tour QD ,large passenger slide. They will replace entire mechanism under goodwill warranty. Was told that lippert is working on a power gear assembly that will fit and replace the current mechanism if the replacement unit were to fail a second time. The power gear assembly is not yet developed but they are hoping it will be available soon. Good news for all of us who have had to endure slide failures.

Ranger Rick
2013 Winnebago Tour QD
2010 Chevy Equinox
Hope they come up with a fix soon as I have just put in my second one. Wich they are paying for in my 2013 Journey

Rick Moseley
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #132
Winnebago Owner

Hopefully the cure does not turn out to be worse than the disease...
Old 09-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #133
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Well, after reading all these posts I feel extremely lucky to have a HWH slide system. I am on my 3rd Winnebago with the HWH slide and jack system and I have only had a couple of minor problems. I am a happy camper.

Don
Agree.....seems these wall slides with the electric motor gear and rail system just don't work out over time. Over the years, folks I have talked to at the RV parks, as well as many online posts, have said to avoid the "wall slide" due to the weight as well as recovery from failure. Never will buy a wall slide unit. Wonder why they went away from the HWH system? My 2002 just requires some adjustment and will need to replace the nylon pads at some point, but seems reliable (14 yrs...). Must be the cost of the hydraulics.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:49 PM   #134
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanan View Post
Wonder why they went away from the HWH system? My 2002 just requires some adjustment and will need to replace the nylon pads at some point, but seems reliable (14 yrs...). Must be the cost of the hydraulics.
Less initial cost? Usually it's the bean counters that enter into it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:04 AM   #135
Winnie-Wise

The in-wall slides are supposed to save room so the storage bays could be taller.
My Power Gear electric slides have been trouble free.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #136
Winnebago Camper

They are sending me a set of slide locks to "fix" my creep problem. It isn't really a fix but they will do. Essentially they are a block that fits between the side wall and the inside flange of the slide. By all means you need to go to the lippert site and down load all of the technical information. They show a 2x4 cut to the right length and jammed between the wall and the slide flange. There is also mention of a brake mechanism built into the slide motor but given the motor technology it is difficult to understand how that would work. Our problem is the big slide on the drivers side of our Sightseer 33C model. The general concept of those slides seems OK but the execution is not well done. It would seem to me that a mechanical motor actuated positive lock similar to the power gear one would be a sound investment by the manufacturer. Yes the bean counters like to be in charge but they only look at the short term up front cost. With all of the warranty claims manufacturers have had would have been better spent up front on a better product.
Wsufans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #137
Winnebago Owner

They made it so the slide no longer loosened up and no more squeaking.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #138
Winnebago Owner

Seeking advise. My 2015 Winnebago 38Q is in for the second time with slide issues. First time was noise and squeeking going down the road. Dealer installed shims to tighten up frame. Second time now, the slide would start to shutter once it came within about three inches from fully retracted. Dealer says parts are on order (motors and rails). My full warranty just expired, however, I have the extended warranty which I hope will pay the tab.

Is there anything formal regarding Lippert or Winney owning up to flawed design? I dont want to get stuck paying for something I shouldn't.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:29 AM   #139
Winnebago Owner

Slide issues

Check with customer service, Winnebago has been very good about covering cost of slide mechanism replacement. The unfortunate side is they are still only able to replace with the same system that has the high failure rate. Lip pert is supposedly working on a system that will carry the load of the larger slides. We feel your pain as I am on my third failure.
Ranger Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #140
Winnebago Camper

Good luck

I agree with Ranger Rick. Winn should pay for any repairs but you might have to 'push' a bit. After 3 failures on 2 slides, and another one imminent (based on the noises we were hearing), Winn is finally replacing ALL components (supposedly stronger). You can see the complete list under the ChrisKW posts.
Also, know that there have been alignment issues at installation, so even with the upgraded parts there still could be problems. Winn & Lippert came to my dealer so that they could 'see' a complete reinstall (dealer had 2 units w/ slide issues). When they fixed my unit, 1 slide was so badly aligned that it needed paint work. The unit went to the dealers in Aug and it just got finished (well, with the slides, anyway). Note that I have not used the unit yet so don't know if we are finally done with slide problems. Good luck to everyone with these problems.
mccra003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide