Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
Lights on an auto awning

We recently purchased a 04 Itasca Sunrise with an automatic awning. We've seen some rigs with the cute awning lights, and wondered if there was a way to put them on our awning. One problem is the awning doesn't come down far enough to attach something without some difficulty. Another problem we assume is if it automatically retracts with the lights attached. Any ideas folks?
Old 05-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not sure if there's any substitute for getting on the ladder to put your lights up but you should have a switch to disable your auto retract awning. Mine is located on the awning control box in an outside bay. I disable mine when I install the tie down straps.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My coach has the A&E weatherpro auto awning, I do not know if this would work with carfree.

I drilled two small holes about six inches in from the end of the arms One on each arm

I have a "Adjustable" cloths line that is long enough to extend from arm to arm, I put "S" hooks in the holes (Slightly modified S hooks) and streatch the line between them

The lights clip to the line

Should the awning roll up unexpectedly.. no problem the lights hang below the roll

When I take down... I disconnect the cloths line and store it with the lights.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
My coach has the A&E weatherpro auto awning, I do not know if this would work with carfree.

I drilled two small holes about six inches in from the end of the arms One on each arm

I have a "Adjustable" cloths line that is long enough to extend from arm to arm, I put "S" hooks in the holes (Slightly modified S hooks) and streatch the line between them

The lights clip to the line

Should the awning roll up unexpectedly.. no problem the lights hang below the roll

When I take down... I disconnect the cloths line and store it with the lights.
This is a great idea! I wonder about using a couple of those awning clamp clips that velcro around the arms and string the cord between them.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

lights on awning

hang them along the ground on short stakes, this way whatever the weather is they stay put
Old 05-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to J&SW
Light strings on auto awning

wa8yxm,

That is a great idea! I think that will work. But, how do you attach the hooks and string up near the top of the awning arm? Do you use a ladder, or do you have a long pole tool of some kind?

I am thinking I could attach eye bolts to the awning arms, and then hook the light string with S hooks to the eye bolts. The S hook would be closed on the light string and open enough to hook to the eye bolts on the awning arms. And, all would be safe when or if the awning retracts.

Another idea would be to have a piece of string past the end of one side of the light string, that you could loop over an open hook (instead of an eye bolt on one awning arm) and once looped over that hook you could pull that string from below and make it taut. You could also tie that extra piece of string to a hook on the lower part of that awning arm. If the awning retracts the whole thing moves and doesn't get tighter or looser. Does that make sense? Since I haven't done it yet this is all speculation.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I'm thinking I will go with I-bolt idea and use a cord with small bungee cords tied to each end. Using the awning pod or other long pole hook one bungee into the first eye. String the lights and then hook the other bungee. Just need to figure the length of cord plus bungees so that it is under enough tension to not sag but not so much that it will be hard to get up and down.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have rope lighting that used to hang from my old manual awning. Now I just place it on the ground between my front and rear wheels. Looks good, and I don't have a headache from trying to figure out how to use it on my auto awning

2009 Vectra 40WD
jimjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
I have rope lighting that used to hang from my old manual awning. Now I just place it on the ground between my front and rear wheels. Looks good, and I don't have a headache from trying to figure out how to use it on my auto awning
Ditto -- I've also run the rope type lights around the MH attached to the chassis with the terminal (plug) end located at the power cord bin. Arrive at the campground and plug in the lights.

Tags
auto awning, lights