Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am a first time Class A owner, having recently purchased a 2008 Itasaca Suncruiser.
Up to this point I have always used the "autolevel" function and it seems work fairly well. At times it appears I might be off level a tad. My question is: If I "autolevel" can I complete the function by using the Manual buttons and finsh leveling to my satisfaction??? Does annyone do this? Or
once I use the Auto Level must I be happy with the final result.
Thanks -
dutchwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am a first time Class A owner, having recently purchased a 2008 Itasaca Suncruiser.
Up to this point I have always used the "autolevel" function and it seems work fairly well. At times it appears I might be off level a tad. My question is: If I "autolevel" can I complete the function by using the Manual buttons and finsh leveling to my satisfaction??? Does annyone do this? Or
once I use the Auto Level must I be happy with the final result.
Thanks -
Old 09-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sounds like your leveler needs adjusting. Attended the HWH seminar at GNR and they suggest once a year putting a level in fridge to check and adjust as needed. It is not a big deal to adjust once you know where it is on your particular coach. I do not have auto levelers but I would imagine manual adjustments are okay as the jacks operate bi directional.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We always auto-level. Then we open the shower & commode room door to see if they swing open or shut on their own. If they move (maybe 50% of the time?), I tap the low side up a second to two and check the doors again.

You likely will also notice that after a day or so, one or more jacks may have settled a bit (soft surface there, etc). If it is enough to affect the shower door, I'll tweak the low side up again. You might accomplish the same by activating the auto-level procedure again (don't store the jacks, just initiate auto-leveling again) and letting the system adjust itself. Often it will apply more pressure to one or more jacks to even things up after a few hours or days of settling.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #5

The answer to your question is YES. We do it all the time.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Dutchwind:

Welcome to the forum . You've already gotten some excellent responses to your question and that is what you will get on this forum.

Congrats on your new rig and come back often to ask questions and share your RV experiences.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We have also found that if we run a long day in the hot summer the hydraulic jack leveling oil will heat up. We set the jacks at the end of the day. The next day when the hydraulic oil cools off the jacks will sometime need an adjustment. We can always tell because the bath room door becomes un-stable. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We often adjust our level just a hair, using a bubble gauge to increase our comfort. Perception in everything. And yes, we often need to re-level later in the day, or the following day to allow for settling. On more than one occasion, hours after leveling successful, I found I had to bring up the jack to place a solid surface on the ground to prevent sinking.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I used the auto level a few times and noticed that only 3 jacks were on the ground. If I had to re-level that makes it harder to do. I have LoadLeveler system so I do not know how others work.

I now only manual level, 1st Drop rear until both on ground, 2nd Drop front until level F-R. If front higher than rear I reverse procedure, make sure not to lift rears of the ground at least on Ford as parking brake does not affect brakes at all, it locks the driveshaft so BOTH rear wheels need to be on the ground. Now all jacks on ground, I then level L-R and done. I find my control panel fairly accurate for leveling. I do walk around a bit to check level and adjust if needed, but usually I am happy with the panel and my eye.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the forum Dutchwind.
See if this helps. I bought a couple of small bubble levels, the kind that self-stick,and drove my unit to someplace that was level (usually a new gas station is pretty level) and stuck one level on the dash just above the steering column and the other on the drivers fixed window. That gives me a fair indication when I first pull or back onto a site. After I put out the slides, I manually lower the jacks according to the bubble levels and then refine the level using the bathroom door method mentioned above. Happy RVing,
Old 09-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the help.
I think I found my answer.
When I set up today, I Auto Leveled then
put out my slides and noticed I was off a bit.
Touched Auto level again ( without retracting them) and it self corrected the problem.
Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:23 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hi Dutchwind. Do a search and find the process on how to calibrate your system. It's always a plus to know how your systems work.

Have fun.
Tom
Fakrwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Thanks for posting this question. I am also a first time Class A owner. This Thursday is my maiden run with the SKI-mobile and the articles here will help.

I have a 6 degree bubble in my driveway so I cannot use the auto level feature. Looking forward to using it.

Thanks.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote