Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Leveling jacks

Hello I have a problem with the front leveling jacks they will not retract they will extend fine I have hwh 310 series in a 2000 Adventure any help would be appreciated thank you
davegerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 04:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am by far not an expert on jacks, however. Have you wiped the ram part of the leg down with the mfg recommended lubricant. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Leveling jacks

Hello thank you for your reply I have lubricated the jacks and still the same I have taken the springs off one side and am waiting for delivery to try and see if that’s the problem
davegerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The springs of that era were flat on the ends, the replacement springs have a conical shape on the ends. If that's what you have coming, that should fix your problem. I know it helped mine a lot. I first did the fronts and was able to limp along for a year before I did the rears.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:44 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The new, stronger springs should help with the retraction. I also wipe down the exposed part of the ram with WD40 (this is the recommended lubricant that HWH recommends ---- they caution strongly against using silicone or any other lubricant). The lubricant will help if you have a slow or stubborn ram.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you have HWH jacks with dual spring retractors, and you are able to help the springs retract the jacks with hand pressure, then try replacing the springs with new ones from HWH for about 40 or 50 per pair.. You can temporarily put broken off pieces wood craft sticks in the extended old springs to remove the old springs, then same to lengthen the new springs to put the new springs on. You remove the wood pieces from the new springs after you extend them.

If it takes a LOT of effort to help the jacks retract, then new springs may not be enough. The pistons are not moving freely in the jacks - that can happen if you drove your RV in winter in cold climates and got chemicals on the jack pistons that ended up damaging the seals , HWH says replace the jack ( aprox 600 plus labor each) but some have found hydraulic repair places that will rebuild them for much less than what new jacks cost.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I had the same issue on my 2011 Journey. I replaced the springs, and it helped a little, but most of the time it stuck - replaced for around $750 (I could not get a wrench in to remove the nut, so I had the shop do it) I have a similar issue with another and just carry a small jack with. It takes 2 minutes to nudge it up - call me cheap, but not worth the $750. I have tried cleaning with WD40, new springs and they seem to be short term fixes and work for a few times, and then get stuck again.
Kevinbrown01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I clean and lubricate them however I also keep a length of 2X4 with a bevel cut on one end to just pry them up when they stick.

I believe some have issues from accidentally putting the rig in gear while the jacks are down and then once they have been torqued in that manner no amount of lubricant is going to really make them retract properly 100% of the time. Some also get dirt into the reservoir (from not cleaning around the cap when checking the fluid, using alternate fluids with dyes in them or just rubber residue from the hoses, etc) which causes the solenoid release valves to stick and again no amount of external lube is going to fix that either.

If your parking brake slips allowing the coach to roll a bit it can also put lateral stress on the jacks causing them to stick too.

The 4 foot length of 2X4 is pretty good at dealing with this even on pavement as long as a wedge has been cut on one end so it can be worked under the foot plate. Even my daughters can deal with performing this task.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

One of my rear jacks got tired lately. It would retract all but the last 4 inches. The small compact floor jack I carry helps it the rest of the way. The “store” button must still be on when I do this. I will try new springs eventually.
Farco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2000 Winnebago purchased in 2006. Most of the time we have owned it, we have had trouble with the rear leveling jacks not retracting. I have tried WD-40, Marvel Mystery oil and several other liquids and nothing worked. 303 is good for all vynal and rubber including tires. I cleaned the loose dirt off the jacks and sprayed 303 on them and they are slow but are working. Another thing is have the engine running for more voltage at the release valves. If that stops working I will post another answer.
1killowatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks