Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2014, 12:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Leveling jacks

They won't retract. Pump works on the slides but when I hit "store" on the jackpad, no movement. I'm stuck in the backyard!
Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Check the power connections to the hydraulic pumps. On ours each function has a separate motor.

Is the ignition on ACC?
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
Check the power connections to the hydraulic pumps. On ours each function has a separate motor.
Power at the pump, works the slides.
Is the ignition on ACC?
Yes it is and keypad lights and clicks
Old 12-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Can you try it with the engine running? Our rear slide only retracts with the engine running. Matter of higher voltage I suppose.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If it comes down to it, each jack has a separate valve under the coach. Ours are located beside the hydraulic reservoir. Each of these has a T handle on it that you can open and release the fluid back to the tank. The springs should retract the jacks this way.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Be careful though, I broke one of those T handles off trying to force it open. I suspect that if you clean those terminals that may be the problem.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
If it comes down to it, each jack has a separate valve under the coach. Ours are located beside the hydraulic reservoir. Each of these has a T handle on it that you can open and release the fluid back to the tank. The springs should retract the jacks this way.
Yeah I guess when I'm ready to move it that will work, I'd like to find the problem first. I've tried it with the engine running too. They seem to be extended more so than ever too.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Well, good luck. I have to run now and get parts for our snow plow. SNOW PLOW! We should be somewhere warm by now but wife still works.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossilhog View Post
They won't retract. Pump works on the slides but when I hit "store" on the jackpad, no movement. I'm stuck in the backyard!
Fossilhog,
Just wondering, what kind/maker of jacks do you have? HWH, Power Gear, Lippert, Kwikee? What?

If you have HWH, typically they don't employ the motor/pump when retracting. Now, at least on our system, the HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System, I don't hit the store button unless the engine is running 'cause I'm either ready to move or, am wanting to build air pressure for varying reasons. Now, also, when that button for "Store" is pushed, it not only sends the signals to the appropriate hydraulic manifold solenoids for each jack, but it also triggers the air bags to be refilled.

So, this is why I ask what kind of system you have. You really don't need the engine to be running since there's very little power needed to electronically trip the correct solenoids to allow the hydraulic oil to be sent back to the reservoir. But, that's for the jacks. If your slides are hydraulically powered, then you will hear the pump motor running because they're "powered out and, back in".

Some coaches, coach builders etc. wire the systems in such that, the main engine needs to be running when slides are retracted. But, you're not asking about slides right now, just jacks. The return springs do all the work in most jack systems for returning the jacks to the travel position. So, you just need to find out why the solenoids are not activating.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Fossilhog,
Just wondering, what kind/maker of jacks do you have? HWH, Power Gear, Lippert, Kwikee? What?

If you have HWH, typically they don't employ the motor/pump when retracting. Now, at least on our system, the HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System, I don't hit the store button unless the engine is running 'cause I'm either ready to move or, am wanting to build air pressure for varying reasons. Now, also, when that button for "Store" is pushed, it not only sends the signals to the appropriate hydraulic manifold solenoids for each jack, but it also triggers the air bags to be refilled.

So, this is why I ask what kind of system you have. You really don't need the engine to be running since there's very little power needed to electronically trip the correct solenoids to allow the hydraulic oil to be sent back to the reservoir. But, that's for the jacks. If your slides are hydraulically powered, then you will hear the pump motor running because they're "powered out and, back in".

Some coaches, coach builders etc. wire the systems in such that, the main engine needs to be running when slides are retracted. But, you're not asking about slides right now, just jacks. The return springs do all the work in most jack systems for returning the jacks to the travel position. So, you just need to find out why the solenoids are not activating.
Scott
I have HWH
Old 12-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Also, the pump does not need to run during retraction. I suspect the retract solenoid is not getting energized....too cold to work on it now.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Tim,
On many Jack systems, the emergency brake must be deployed as a safety measure in order for the systems to work. Could yours be the same? And if so, is it possible that your emergency brake has been released and therefore, your jack system has become inoperative? I've not ran through all of HWHs trouble shooting lists here so, at present, I'm guessing.
Scott
Old 12-16-2014, 03:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Tim,
On many Jack systems, the emergency brake must be deployed as a safety measure in order for the systems to work. Could yours be the same? And if so, is it possible that your emergency brake has been released and therefore, your jack system has become inoperative? I've not ran through all of HWHs trouble shooting lists here so, at present, I'm guessing.
Scott
Not the case here, there's a warning light on the panel if the park brake is not actuated. Mine brake is on.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

On mine it was the shuttle valve. This valve is a two way valve. When the pump is running it applies pressure to the manifold valves. When the pump is not running it defaults open to bleed the pressure from the manifold solenoids back to the tank. It is easy to pull and replace and costs around $75. I also replaced one on a friends unit.
Dgcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

HWH Jacks

Wait till it's warmer then check the circuit board for the HWH System. It is located attached to one end of the pump/solenoid assembly. It is about 10" square and has a plexiglas cover. The cover comes off by removing the rubber seal around the outside (note the direction and how it came off). Inside this panel are several fuses, the glass automotive type. Pull them 1 at a time and check with a meter. Only replace with the same value. Usually printed on the circuit board, is what that fuse activates. On the panel you will see a number of LED's Most should be lighted when operating.
There also is a plug going to this panel, make sure all its connections are good.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:09 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgcarver View Post
On mine it was the shuttle valve. This valve is a two way valve. When the pump is running it applies pressure to the manifold valves. When the pump is not running it defaults open to bleed the pressure from the manifold solenoids back to the tank. It is easy to pull and replace and costs around $75. I also replaced one on a friends unit.
I'll have to look for that, thanks
Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgcarver View Post
Sound's like it could be the OPs problem. Might be worth checking.
Scott
Old 12-16-2014, 07:12 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Be careful raising the jacks if you are underneath the coach.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

jacks

Our jacks would not retract, called HWH, they said shuttle valve. Could not find one in our area, so was instructed to loosen one of the lines going to the valves, said it didn't make any difference which valve. It worked, was able to get home and order another shuttle valve.
Billy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

You can go to HWH's web site and download the manual for your system. They have a very complete set of documents with good information. One of the best I have seen. That was where I went and figured out it was the shuttle valve for my unit.

When mine quit, I pulled the shuttle valve, cleaned it and replaced it. It had a broken o-ring but there were two of them, so I just left it off. It worked after that. It happened when I was at Forest City for GNR and HWH had a booth there. Guess what, they had plenty of shuttle valves in stock with them! Bought one and thru it in my tool box. Two weeks later it quit again, so put the new one in. Carried the old one with me for two years and a few months ago one of my friends had the same problem with his Journey. We pulled the shuttle valve and it was broken. Put my old one in and it worked and got him back on the road. Boy, was he happy!
Dgcarver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks