Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Leveling jack issue

2002 Itasca Sunova, HWH Leveling system. Jacks will go down but don't really seem to apply any pressure to the ground. Essentially they just hit the ground and stop. At first I thought that they may be losing pressure but there don't appear to be any leaks. Wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing?

Thanks

Huberman
Huberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Let me ask you a question: are you trying to use only one pair of jacks, say for a low side or end, withput letting all 4 jacks contact the ground? If so, that's the problem. All 4 jacks need tp be in contact with the ground in order for any of them to push the coach up.

If you are doing that, then I would retract all 4 jacks, then check the hydraulic fluid level. Don't check or add fluid with any of the jacks down though; if you do, when you retract them, it will overflow the reservoir and run out on the ground. If the fluid is low with the jacks retracted, I would add to the correct level. The system is self-bleeding, so don't worry about that.

If none of this helps, well, I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Another test would be to put several spacers (2x8x8) or something like that under all four jacks to insure they are contacting something firm before reaching their max extension. If they stop at a reduced extension point, you have other problems. However, they should not be able to bleed back when they meet with resistance, they should try to lift the unit off the ground.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Let me ask you a question: are you trying to use only one pair of jacks, say for a low side or end, withput letting all 4 jacks contact the ground? If so, that's the problem. All 4 jacks need tp be in contact with the ground in order for any of them to push the coach up.

If you are doing that, then I would retract all 4 jacks, then check the hydraulic fluid level. Don't check or add fluid with any of the jacks down though; if you do, when you retract them, it will overflow the reservoir and run out on the ground. If the fluid is low with the jacks retracted, I would add to the correct level. The system is self-bleeding, so don't worry about that.

If none of this helps, well, I'm fresh out of ideas at the moment.
CaptBill,
Am I missing something here? On my previous coach, a '99 Bounder with the F-53 Chassis and Power Gear leveling system and, our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD D/P with the 330 CAT, neither one of those coaches "needed" all four jacks to be in contact with the ground for any "two" of them to do any lifting.

If I put the fronts down and hit the ground with them, they'd keep going and lift the front end off the ground, likewise with the rears. On our present coach, it has the HWH leveling system and although I normally don't do this, I have put either set, front or rear down and they continue to lift the coach without the other set touching the ground.

On the Horizon, if I hit the "Autolevel" button, the air bleeds out of the bags, drops the coach, one set of jacks comes down, lifts the coach some, then the other ones come down and help level the coach 'till the sensor tells the system , "It's level" and everything shuts down automatically.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Huberman,
While I've not experienced your issue(s), if all seems to be working well in terms of the pump motor, the jacks (all of them) are extending down 'till they hit the ground, but no force is being used to lift the coach, I'd say maybe a relief valve is malfunctioning. It's relieving too soon. Everything on this planet that's hydraulic has a relief valve of some sort. It's designed to relieve pressure above and beyond the systems limit. I'm just guessing here. Surely let us know what you find out.
Scott
Old 01-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Does the HWH system have an "Out Of Stroke" sensor?

If it does, it, or the main computer could be at fault. Once they touch the ground, can you manually operate the jacks, or is it just an auto system, or manual only system.

Just asking.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

leveling jack issue

Thanks for the input, for what it's worth, this is a manual only system. I'm leaning toward a relief valve but haven't had time to check things out. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

If they are not applying any pressure they your coach would NOT level (raise the low side). It is possible that the shuttle valve may be leaking back to the reservoir in which case you wouldn't see any leak. However, once the jack looses pressure the springs would retract the jack and it would rise off the ground. Have you noticed any slide "creep" with your slide outs? This may indicate that you may be losing pressure on the return side of the hydraulics. Give a HWH a call and they will assist you in trouble shooting your system. They are VERY helpful but be patient it may take a while to get a technician.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sorry Scott, I missed that one by a mile :0... you are correct, in that it should lift the low side with any one pair of jacks down. I think one of the other replies are on the right track. I'd try calling HWH, and ask to speak with their tech, Stacy.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
That is not the case on my 2002 Itasca with HWH jacks.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I concur with MaverickBBD regarding the shuttle valve as the problem.
I had that trouble myself, in addition to the slides moving very slowly. Shuttle valve sticks and does not pressurize the rams properly. Could be a minute piece of crud in the fluid causing the valve to stick - mine came loose and started to work on its own.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for all the input guys, sounds like a bit more diagnosing and then a call to HWH

Huberman
Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sorry Scott, I missed that one by a mile :0... you are correct, in that it should lift the low side with any one pair of jacks down. I think one of the other replies are on the right track. I'd try calling HWH, and ask to speak with their tech, Stacy.
Roger that Sir, no biggie. I'm always trying to learn here and when I read something that I've not heard of or seen before, my eyes and my ears perk up. I give it the tilted head puppy look and think, "Better ask about this" to see if somethings wrong with mine.
Scott

Tags
leveling