Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

leveling advice

Would like advice from Brave owners whose rigs do nor have a leveling system. I do not have too much trouble leveling my 27' rig using the the bubble levels in the rig, but not entirely satisfied with the results. The unit still moves when walking in, or steping up in the unit.
Would using a 2' level on the floor be better?
What about using scizzors jacks?
I want to know a better way!
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

It is setting on the suspension. And of course "bounces" because of it. If you could unload the suspension. With jacks, Most of the movement would prolly stop

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Use sissror jacks. Stretch suspension, but don't lift tires off the ground.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Winnebrave1,
Well Sir, the answers you've been given are correct. When you get in your car, it moves. Get into any vehicle and, it moves. Some more, some less. While you do your best to get it level, and, you can have it "DEAD" level but, there's nothing that "stabilizes" the coach. It's still sitting on springs. So, something must be done to create a solid component between the ground and the frame of your coach.

So, you say you don't have jacks. Well, jacks or, stabilizers of some sort are needed. Scissors type jacks are cheap and, can be adapted in a variety of ways. You can bolt them on, create a "channel" effect that you just slide the jacks into which would facilitate the ability to remove them for added ground clearance when driving, or, they can be welded to the under side of the frame. If the later choice is the preference, then precautions must be take before any welding is done, but that's another story.

Now, if you do install scissors type jacks and, they're quite a bit above the ground when you do most of your leveling, a set of blocks, like say, some 4"x6"x 10" would decrease the length the jacks have to extend for stabilization. Just some ideas here. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the suggestions about scissor jacks. I did not know if they would be acceptable for use on class A coaches. Being an ex-welder, I believe I will take the precautions and weld mounting clips to hold them.
winnbrave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnbrave1 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions about scissor jacks. I did not know if they would be acceptable for use on class A coaches. Being an ex-welder, I believe I will take the precautions and weld mounting clips to hold them.
winnbrave1,
While they (the scissors types) will work for stabilization, they are somewhat limited in just how much they can "lift" a coach. Don't get me wrong here, they can lift some. And, "some" might be all you need for accurate leveling. If you're pretty far off in being level, those jacks quite possibly might not be able to compensate. In that case, you'd have to:
1. Find a different site
2. Drive up on some lumber to help with preliminary leveling
3. If driving up on lumber, you'll need lumber under the jacks to limit their travel.

I welded a set of those on a 27' Class C several years ago and they worked great. And, I even cranked them up and down the old fashioned way, BY HAND. Now days, you can use those battery powered impact guns and all four can be extended and retracted by the time one is done by hand. And, they'll work great for stabilization. Try and find the heaviest duty set there is.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here is Camping World's offerings for stabilizing jaacks and accessories. As long as you don't try to load them and only use them for stabilizing all should work.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Never try to level with the jacks. You could tweak the frame. Level using wood, or lynx levelers first, and then put the stabilizers down, just enough to steady the RV.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling