Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Levelers

I saw a motorhome with the front tires completely off the ground supported by the levelers, is that safe? I know for sure it's not safe for the rear tires to be in that position.
Thanks,
Ewaldo
ewaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Many people don't like their front wheels off the ground. We generally don't, but sometimes when we're done auto-leveling the front wheels do end up off the ground. If we're only there for one night we'll let it be, otherwise we'll get out the leveling blocks as the coach is more stable with the front wheels supporting at least some of the weight.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
KIX
Winnebago Master

Sure it's safe. why not? I wouldn't go under the moho to work while supported by levelers but I think you will find that front tires off the ground is not really a big issue. At least that's the way it is with our HWH levelers.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I just had some installed. Where I park I did the auto level (love that) and my front end came up also barely touching the ground. These are made to handle that. NO PROBLEM.

The auto is compurterized and programmed for least strain on chassis therefore no concern on my part but if done manually I would have to be concered about me causing chassis damage. I have heard that manually has that risk but just how big of a risk I don't know. However, I feel certain the risk is probably minimal.
stormrider54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Not something I like to do, but at a friend's private lake, we had to jack the front tires 5 inches off the ground to get level. We had no problems. We use manual levelers and have never had or heard of a problem lifting the front ties off the ground. You can twist your frame if you raise the rear jacks and tilt the coach left or right with the front jacks retracted.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I prefer to have the wheels on the ground but don't worry if the front tires raise off the ground. Only issue I would have is height of step.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

sdennislee,

You're right about the step issue. Fortunately for us, the wife had an old well made step stool that was her fathers. It must be 50 years old anyway. So much better than some you can purchase today. We use it when we're high in the front and it helps tremendously.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It happens, and when It does I prefer the stability of 10 points on the ground instead of one or two being missing. (6 tires, 4 jacks). So I carry some wood, plus plastic, leveling pieces. I'll typically use the wood. Since the tires are already off the ground, I'll just raise the offending tire(s) a little bit more and slip the wood ramp under the tired, then do an all up and re-level. Gives me better stability and i don't have to worry about that little 2-3" diameter piston doing all the work.

My other option is to just ride up on some ramps and re-level.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hi and welcome to the forum.

This is a topic that usually draws some disagreement among our members. After reading countless posts on the topic, I've come to the conclusion that it is probably OK to level with the front wheels off the ground... but I don't like doing it so I do exactly as Wayne does:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
It happens, and when It does I prefer the stability of 10 points on the ground instead of one or two being missing. (6 tires, 4 jacks). So I carry some wood, plus plastic, leveling pieces. I'll typically use the wood. Since the tires are already off the ground, I'll just raise the offending tire(s) a little bit more and slip the wood ramp under the tired, then do an all up and re-level. Gives me better stability and i don't have to worry about that little 2-3" diameter piston doing all the work.

My other option is to just ride up on some ramps and re-level.

Happy trails.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Its not a big deal with a leaf spring suspension (gassers), it can handle the full extension.
On an air suspension, it can 'stress' the bags, and often results in a LOUD pop when airing back up.
As was mentioned, you always want all your wheels touching, unless you cant.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewaldo View Post
I saw a motorhome with the front tires completely off the ground supported by the levelers, is that safe? I know for sure it's not safe for the rear tires to be in that position.
Thanks,
Ewaldo
it is possible for a wind gust from the side to actually bend the jack shafts.
for that reason, i raise the wheels more and insert wood or plastic blocks under the front tires and re level.
i do the same for the rear but put blocks under all 4 tires.
if it is windy, i retract the slides and stow the awning too. my slide toppers cannot stand much wind and start flapping.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote