Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Level Best Jack problem

Yet another problem rears it's ugly head!

Today I began to de-winterize the motor home and get it ready for the season. When I attempted to start it there was not enough "juice" in the battery to turn it over. As I did not have a charger handy I held down the battery boost switch for several minutes until there was enough juice transferred to start the engine. Which, btw runs great. I leave it plugged in to 30 amps all winter and got out to start it frequently, but neglected it for several weeks and the engine battery obviously was drawn down. Guess it's time to add a Trik-L-Start, but that's for the future.

When I attempted to start it at first the jacks down warning was on as it should be along with the jacks down light on the jack control panel. I also leave the jacks down during the winter to relieve some of the weight from the tires. I have "exercised" the jacks several times during the winter months without issue. Now with the engine started and running (battery boost switch released) the jacks down warning light is not lit and I cannot get the jack control panel to turn on. I'm stuck with the jacks down. The manual mentions a jumper that can be used to activate the jacks, but as I purchased this used I do not have that jumper. Now if I tap the battery boost switch while the engine is running the jacks down warning light on the dash flashes, but will not stay on even if I hold the boost switch down.

Does anyone know a source for a service manual that would allow me to trace the circuit and/or identify any fuses that may have been affected?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Tom,
I have the same system on an 08 Winni.

Here is a link to the manual

http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/KSG002.pdf

Also, if you carefully remove the panel the jumper should be inside that panel. It really is a part of the wiring and just needs to be plugged/unplugged as the manual states.

Happy trails.

Edited: p.s., found this on the PowerGear/Kwikee web site

"
13. The control for my Level Best jacks is not responding. What do I do?

The jack control needs to be re-booted. Disconnect the control from the wire harness for about a minute. Then, reconnect it to the harness, set the parking brake and start the engine. It should now function correctly."
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thank you very much, Wayne, for the link. I have downloaded the service guide and will likely print it out to keep with all the other documents in my "black bag".

I will get out and do the reboot procedure and try to locate the jumper.

Thanks again, I knew I could count on someone here for the help.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Problem Fixed !!

Got out this morning and tried to reboot the system by unplugging the harness for a couple minutes and then reconnecting. That did absolutely nothing to cure the problem.

As my system is slightly different than the one referenced by Wayne, I got on the Power Gear site and found the manual for mine. It appeared to be the same as I had in my mountain of manuals from Winnebago EXCEPT it gives the location of the emergency retract harness that was not in my manual.

I discovered the harness tie wrapped to the wiring about 12 inches behind the panel. A bear to locate and recover. I'm not sure they could have found a more difficult location, but I was able to retrieve the harness.

Connected the harness and the jacks INSTANTLY retracted. After retracting the harness is immediately removed. Jacks are up and I can now drive the motorhome. After confirming the jacks were fully retracted I reconnected the cables to the control unit. Started the engine and NOW the panel and jacks work perfectly.

I have no idea what may have caused the problem, and frankly don't care. With a bit of help from this forum and some of my own investigating the problem is now cured. Thanks!!! This has probably saved me a few hundred in trouble shooting costs at a dealership.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

Probably low battery voltage gave the 'puter a head ache.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Glad you got it working, and glad that PG/Kwikee puts that jumper on the wiring harness. It may be hard to find but it is there.

If that happens again, check the power going to the four pin connector on the Level Best board, the red one. Make sure there is 12vdc to it. If you trace that wire up there may be a module about 1" square - don't know what it is for but the power wire comes from it into the back panel. See if there is 12vdc on the other side.

My problems are very different then yours in that when I retract my jacks the alarm will not go off. Reed switches have been changes and other testing by dealer. This has been an on-going problem for about a year and a half now. I even went to the Winnebago Service Center in IA, spent 10 days there and I was so frustrated with them "Tried this, did not work, tried this, did not work, tried this did not work," that we just said, I'll take it and we'll be on our way. My last comment was, "Did you check the line pressure from the pump to see if it has 1500 psi?" and the reply was, "Uh! We don't have a gauge." Sorry Winnebago Service, I'm just ONE person you let down.

Hopefully in your case it was "lack of use" that just froze a controller, or low voltage, etc., and it will never happen again. Maybe the little "electron man" needed a kick in the butt and got it when you used the jumper.

Happy trails.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I am thinking that the low battery may have caused the computer to "take a nap". Using the emergency retract harness forced me to unplug the power from the panel. I think the computer reset when the plug was reattached. In any case it is now working properly.