Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-22-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation Leaking windshield

Hi! The rookies are back... We have made it to Lincoln Nebraska from Rockford driving our new Winnebago intent 30 our home to Denver. And we’ve discovered due to a rain storm that our windshield is leaking and causing a river to flow across our dash! We can see what appears to be the seal gapping - like an ill fit. We are going to buy something to seal it- any suggestions? We are at a loves truck stop.
JoKeMa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Try putting a strip of Gorilla Tape across the top of the rubber moulding. Hopefully that will stop the leak. It might not be the windshield and could be inadequately sealed clearance lights on the top of your cab. If there's an overhead cabinet you might be able to tell if water is leaking from above. They can also be sealed with Gorilla Tape.

Since your rig is new, this is a warranty issue and you don't want to do too much to it. Gorilla Tape is only a short term solution and is easy to remove.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Any reasonably adhesive tape will do. Gorrilla tape may be overkill. In a simular situation, I used an aluminum foil tape, that worked VERY well. It also looked decent until we got home and could get the repair done right.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The black rubber molding that goes around your windshield is not a weather seal. The windshield should be sealed to the steel frame with urethane sealant.

I'm not saying your windshield is not leaking, just that the rubber molding is not a weather seal.

I do agree that putting tape over the rubber molding would help verify if the windshield is actually leaking.

It could be that one the lights across the top of front of the RV is leaking. That has been a common problem.

If this is a brand new RV the dealer should take care of the problem.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

After tapeing, a thorough spray down with a garden hose will determine if it is windshield or lights. On a newer unit, I suspect windshield.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank u

Thank u your feedback was very helpful and put us at ease!
JoKeMa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:22 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
Any reasonably adhesive tape will do. Gorrilla tape may be overkill. In a simular situation, I used an aluminum foil tape, that worked VERY well. It also looked decent until we got home and could get the repair done right.
I forgot about the aluminum tape, I've used it for temporary fixes. Be careful in applying it since it has very little tensile strength and tears easily. Easier to remove but not as tough as Gorilla Tape. Be sure to get the all-weather, outdoor type like this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nashua-T...1238/100507541
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak