Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Chieftain Rusted out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdporter221 View Post
Hope your luck is better than mine. I had the same problem and the frame around the windshield was rotted out. Cost me $6500 to get repaired. I just bought the unit (1999Chieftain) "SOLD AS IS" and had no recourse...Good luck
Is your Chieftain a DP? Wow ! that's a lot of money for a repair. We have a 99 chieftain that had a substantial leak too. Guess we were lucky to find the area of rot before it got to bad. See the previous post in this thread for our findings.

I just can not understand how a manufacturer would not stand behind a major design flaw. Like this is obvious to everyone - that the design is flawed. Where IS THE NTSB ? if this was a car or van that had substantial weaking of a windshield frame and frame support the owners would have a class action lawsuit. too bad you didn't check in here first before purchase.

I am sure you really like your MH now. I really wanted this particular model and year but first looked in here and elsewhere to get knowledge and hear the experience of others. Then I looked all over the country and visited at least 4 dealers to inspect the MH's. Several were just junk with delamination, broken items, rodent infestations etc., I finally found the right one in SC. Still I missed a few items like the leaks in the windshild and the leak in the roof edge to the gutter seam.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Well now, no luck with the glass company calling me back. I called my insurance company for information about a repair company to fix my RV, and lo and behold, they hooked me up and the repair should take place in about a week as the part is ordered and the claim is in process. Lets pray for a great outcome. .
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Our Sightseer has no signs of leakage. Is the leaking problem model specific or is there a particular hidden area that needs to be checked?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Our Sightseer has no signs of leakage. Is the leaking problem model specific or is there a particular hidden area that needs to be checked?

Pepper, take the time to read my previous post in this thead to answer your question. ANd yes - your model is the same as my cousin and there is a problem with his too. fix it now or rust it later
Old 01-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
A basic rule that you might want to consider is any Winnebago from 1999-2009 model years that have a two-piece windshield. If it's got the center reveal molding running from top to bottom, at some point it's going to be a Winnebago gotcha! That's not to say that earlier models, later models are immune, and of course, it's not that every motorhome will develop the problem.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #26
Winnie-Wise

just what R U saying, all 2 piece windshields have a divider strip in the middle. yours included.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 01-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #27

Rubber has a limited lifespan. Windshield and window gaskets dry out, shrink, crack, and rot due to sun, heat, UV rays, road salt and detergents. Many sealants also get dry, crack, brittle and separate from glass, fiberglass, metal and other surfaces. That is why rubber products and sealants are on vehicle checklists.
Sometimes they need replacement.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #28
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpie View Post
just what R U saying, all 2 piece windshields have a divider strip in the middle. yours included.
Yes, Winnebago uses a molding called reveal molding all the way around the entire windshields, and one down the center. The molding around the perimeter is not one piece; it takes four separate pieces and then one down the middle/center. These moldings are not at all like the molding used in a passenger vehicle. The reveal molding is mostly for show and doesn't seal to keep water out, hence the long-term problem. Water gets under the molding but not all of that water gets out, rusting the windshield frame. Once that frame gets perforated, water comes in... from the top molding, when that happens, is when you see water dripping down the inside of the glass or dripping right on to the dash.

While the post above states that all rubber wears out, that isn't the real problem here, so simply replacing the reveal molding every couple of years will not solve the problem. It's the design that Winnebago used for about 10-model years that is the true culprit, allowing water to get trapped behind the molding. Anyone who tells you anything different hasn't been to the glass repair shop, hasn't shelled out a few thousand to make the repair. And I would say that rubber windshield molding doesn't 'go bad' in as little as 4 years. How many people here have a passenger vehicle that is 10, or 12, or 15 years old, and ever replaced the rubber seal around their windshield? I've got a 11 year-old Chevrolet that sits out in the sun and weather 365 days a year... all original rubber moldings around every window... no rust, no leaks. With a proper design, it just doesn't happen unless maybe you live in the snow-and-salt belt.

Lastly, that same post mentions that sealants dry out. Winnebago uses a special sealant for the windshield that drys hard as a rock within 24-48 hours, by design. It doesn't stay pliable, by design; the sealant is what actually holds the glass into the windshield frame, not the rubber molding as used in passenger vehicles, so the sealant doesn't 'go bad' because it dried out. -RT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0003.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	54605  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:46 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

As soon as I learned about the rust problem and after doing lots of research on the cause of it, I did some preventative maintenance. I used a strip of 2" white eternabond along the top of the windshield rubber overlapping half the width of the rubber. It blends in well and is not noticeable and prevents any water from getting in behind the rubber trim. Pictures attached....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	54688   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	54689  

Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

great looking job. More snow tomorrow night, guess I will never get this fixed.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 AM   #31
Winnie-Wise

here it is. Oh My. Windy and cold too.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

After returning home from our NY trip, we hit several down pours and it also down poured while camping. No More Leaks! HOORRAAHH!! It is sure about time. And only $1500. What a deal?? RV Glass Company Out of Coburg OR. coordinated the repairs with Eds Glass Company of Maple Shade NJ and the rusty steel frame work done by Hainsport Body Shop. All good people. Formost ins. co. paid for the passenger side glass panel and of course I had to buy the driver side panel, and pay for the frame work. What a relieve off my back. Lets get to CAMPING!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Well Bob, - it's about time and contragtulations on the repair. That place in hainsport - what was the name. Now where are you going.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

bobpie we have a 2012 Adventurer that the windshield was leaking. We took it to our dealer who told us "all Winnebagos have windshield problems". They did not take out the window but removed right side post and removed rubber at top of winshield Found metal framework that windshield gets urethaned to is rusty. Paint is peeling and water running inside. Removed retainer for rubber molding. Cut out old urethane, used whire whell and cleaned metal. Etch primer and prime metal then prime with primer for urethane. Reurethaned winshield, install new retainer and hold in place with urethane. This is per the work order on the bill that cost us $1400 to get done. Very upset with Winnebago so good luck with your leak.
oldyoungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #35
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyoungs View Post
bobpie we have a 2012 Adventurer that the windshield was leaking. We took it to our dealer who told us "all Winnebagos have windshield problems". They did not take out the window but removed right side post and removed rubber at top of winshield Found metal framework that windshield gets urethaned to is rusty. Paint is peeling and water running inside. Removed retainer for rubber molding. Cut out old urethane, used whire whell and cleaned metal. Etch primer and prime metal then prime with primer for urethane. Reurethaned winshield, install new retainer and hold in place with urethane. This is per the work order on the bill that cost us $1400 to get done. Very upset with Winnebago so good luck with your leak.
That sounds like it was all labor, why so expensive?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:55 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

We were told by Tommy at Winnebago that there used to be a problem with windshields but they have fixed it. Well guess what I have a 2012 Adventurer that has rusted out metal. It cost $1,400 to get it fixed. When we called Winnebago Tommy told us "Rust is Never covered even if it is brand new". This is a design flaw and Winnebago knows it but has chosen to put their heads in the sand about it. If you have a leak I will bet you have rust and it has nothing to do with the rubber as Rtegarini has stated.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Labor was $118 an hour that's why it was so expensive.

Tags
leak