Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Leaking Window

I went out to my Motorhome today and found the window beside the co-pilot chair directly behind the entry door is leaking!! At the bottom of the window there are three brown leak stains and I saw a drip go down to behind the panel that has all the switches in it for the awnings, step cover etc. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if so, how did you fix it? It looks to me like the window needs to be taken out.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

So when I bought the coach in November, I purchased an extended warranty for 3 years. Turns out the extended warranty doesn't cover something like a leaky window!! So I am taking it in to a glass shop tomorrow to get it fixed......
Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Decuenut, I had a 2005 Adventure that developed a leak around the passenger window, stains going down the wall and all. The DW and I took the window out and cleaned it up and scraped all the sealing compound and replaced the sealer, it solved the problem cost was less than $20.00 and took about 2 hrs from start to finish. We had never done a window before and would do it again without hesitation was a good lesson.
Ralph
Old 02-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

I'm with Ralph. Removing a window and resealing it is just not a hard job. But, if you odn't feel competent then you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Agree. Pull the window out, reseal it, and reinstall it. About 2 hours worth of work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes I guess I could probably do it myself. But I don't know what sealant to use or where to buy it. If there's one thing I HATE, it's a leak. It makes the MH smell and wrecks the wallpaper(when are they gonna stop using wallpaper and just go with paint?!!?, the 80's are dead) but I digress. So I think I will have a glass shop do it. That way I'll have the warranty from them. Plus it's over that panel with all the awning switches and stuff which I am worried about water damage. After they fix the window I am gonna pop all the screws out and pull the panel away from the wall. Make sure there's no water damage or corrosion behind it.

I just don't know why the leak has started.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
KIX
Winnebago Master

Maybe you could be present when the window is out and inspect it yourself then. If it needs attention you'll most likely need to attend to it with the window out.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Maybe you could be present when the window is out and inspect it yourself then. If it needs attention you'll most likely need to attend to it with the window out.
Yes I agree. I was going to watch them closely if I'm allowed.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

So today I took the Mh to the glass shop. While I'm showing the glass guy the window, I notice one single drip on the wall ABOVE the window. But the wall wasn't wet and there was no water in the cupboard above the window. There was a lot of water below the window though. I'm thinking too much for it to be coming from above the window. But there had been an old leak cause I noticed the privacy curtain for the front window was stained. But not wet. Sooooo....where do you guys think the drop came from? Is there a seam I should inspect? I'm wondering if it was a randomn drop?

Update. Glass guy says it's definitely leaking from above. The headliner doesn't look completely smooth and there's another drip from under the cabinet. So it's definitely leaking from the roof. Glass guy said the window was leaking too though from the top right corner. Inside the cabinet above the window and door there's a padded material on the wall in the cabinet. None of the other cabinets have this, just wallpaper. So I think someone has tried to cover up the stains.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Look where the front cap attaches at the top. I had a leak on the drivers side window that I thought was leaking and couldn't find it. Finally got on the ladder and found a pin hole in the sealant in the rain gutter where it meets the front cap.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

As stuhly said, probably from the front end cap or the seam above the window. I had the same thing and Eternabonding the front cap didn't help. Removing the window, cleaning it up, new sealing tape (some RVs us Butyl tape) and new silicone around the window didn't help.

Putting a strip of Eternabond over the window and a few inches beyond solved it. Now all my windows are done that way.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I wish you all the luck. I have a 2008 Winnebago and it had, and maybe still has, a leak.

Water seeks it's own level (and path.) Your leak could be anywhere and depending on many leveling factors can find the leak going in any direction.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

When we first got our MH I found water in the bottom trough of the drivers window after washing it , found the leak at the roof joint /cap , near the rain gutter, small gap that had not been caulked....
Old 04-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I had all of the above, and I also found the biggest source of leaks up front, the clearance lights. They will cause water to be driven all the way back to where the end caps meet the roof. Replace them, and caulk them, $5 each.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window