Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have had my 2005 Winnebago Voyage back to the dealer twice for leaking slideouts. Both the living room and bedroom slideouts leak at the bottom corners next to the floor. The last time the dealer supposedly replaced the slde seals. I just got it back from the dealer last week and last night we had a rain and both slideouts leaked at the same place. It seems ironic that if the seals were replaced that it would leak at the exact same spot, or else the problem was not the seals. I am losing confidence with the dealer and the DW wants to go the factory and try to get the problem corrected. That is a 1300 mile drive for us. I don't know what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated. I am wondering if I should give another dealer a shot at it, but the nearest dealer other than the one I am going to is about 250 miles away.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have had my 2005 Winnebago Voyage back to the dealer twice for leaking slideouts. Both the living room and bedroom slideouts leak at the bottom corners next to the floor. The last time the dealer supposedly replaced the slde seals. I just got it back from the dealer last week and last night we had a rain and both slideouts leaked at the same place. It seems ironic that if the seals were replaced that it would leak at the exact same spot, or else the problem was not the seals. I am losing confidence with the dealer and the DW wants to go the factory and try to get the problem corrected. That is a 1300 mile drive for us. I don't know what to do at this point. Any help would be appreciated. I am wondering if I should give another dealer a shot at it, but the nearest dealer other than the one I am going to is about 250 miles away.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:48 AM   #3

I would call the Winnebago Service Hotline first.

We have had good luck with our (fairly far away) dealer, but some have had good luck at the Forest City facility.

We shouldn't have to drive to the factory to get good service!!

By the way...we have an '06 Voyage 35a...we havent had a leak that we can see...Im wondering if the seals have changed????
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We had problems with a leaking bedroom slide and our dealer, Lazydays, attempted a fix - still leaked. We were planning a factory visit anyway so we added the leaking slide to the list.

Winnebago has an updated seal kit that was applied and our leak is fixed in all but the heaviest downpours.

I strongly recommend you make the trip to Forest City and let the pros make the fix.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sounds exactly like our slide leak problem with our front slide. The rain water was getting behind the side seals AT THE TOP and soaking the bottom corners inside. Talk to Winnebago Owner Relations by telephone or email, and make sure they are involved with the dealer in resolving the problem.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem with two 2006 Sightseers. My first Sightseer was taken back by the dealer after 1 week because of the amount of floor damage caused by the leaking slide gasket. My second Sightseer delivered in June had a leak in both slides caused by the gaskets. The dealer attempted two repairs by replacing the gaskets. I had to return for third time at this point I called Winnebago and told them to have a factory technician call the dealer and instruct them on what upgrades that could be made to resolve the problem. They replace the gaskets and installed a drip pan. When I went to the dealer I told them I want to do a water test before I would accept the repair. I am happy to say no leaks.My coach was in for repair for the leak 60 days.
Good LUCK
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 AM   #7
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i found my leaks were coming from gaps at the lower outside corners..water can enter there and run along the inside of the lower channel and drip on the carpet..i found it by systematically taping the entire seal from top to bottom a few feet at a time then spraying with a hose..the last area to be taped was the corner gap and that did it..it has been about 6 months now and no leaks..jim
Old 09-07-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim:
i found my leaks were coming from gaps at the lower outside corners..water can enter there and run along the inside of the lower channel and drip on the carpet..i found it by systematically taping the entire seal from top to bottom a few feet at a time then spraying with a hose..the last area to be taped was the corner gap and that did it..it has been about 6 months now and no leaks..jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim could you provide more info by explaining where you applied the tape? Did you leave the tape there or did you do something else? Maybe you could post a photo.

I had a similar problem in my 2004 Sightseer and Winniebago shipped a seal replacement kit and a replacement manual to my dealer who then replaced all of the seals in both slide outs. I believe there was a design chnage in 2004/2005. The seals have not leaked since.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

i am assuming that these leaks only occur when the slides are out?

thanks
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
Jim
Winnebago Owner

yes mine only leaked when the slide was out..and i'll have to learn how to post a photo sometime..for now, with the slide out you will see where the outside wall is attached to the slidout wall by screws and similarly where the bottom is attached and they meet...on mine there was a small gap ...water can enter there and run along the inside of the bottom channel..i used duct tape and when the leak stopped i just left it there..both the front and rear corners leaked the same and are ok now..as i said i duct taped the entire seal from top to bottom about 3' at a time and sprayed it heavily water..then proceeded down till i stopped the leak..i also stuffed towels under the slide topper to prevent water from entering there..when done i removed all tape except the bottom outside corners..another thing i did was use a small mirror and flashlight to observe the water dripping on the carpet from the inside..hope this helps..jim
Old 09-09-2006, 04:59 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

JIm, if it's easier to email me the photo I can get it in this topic for [email protected]

The long answer is to upload it to our photo gallery which is pretty self explanatory,but if you want to email it to me directly I'll do that for you and get some "visual" for the folks in this topic...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Posting photos and comments received from Jim in an email.....

To make this clearer I removed the tape and cleaned the area..I'll do the permanent caulking now..you can see the gap at the outside corner front end of the slideout..the rear is similar but not as bad..i believe water running down the side of the slideout enters here and runs along the inside of the bottom strip..the gap on the side and the larger gap underneath have to be caulked to prevent the water that curls under the slideout from getting in...on the second photo i temporarily used black electrical tape to illistrate what I had done with the duct tape..hope this is helpful and thanks for your help..jim

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We bought our 2002 Adventure used a couple of years ago. Right after we bought it I became the camp host at a state campground and we parked for seven months. After the first rain we discovered a wet floor in the bedroom and found that the front seal on the bedroom slide was not even touching the side of the slideout, funneling water in. Covered it with duct tape 'til we could have the seal replaced. All other seals worked great. Fast forward to last month, while in Alaska we had a doozy of a rain storm (no surprise in Alaska) and found wet again. The rear seal on the bedroom slide, which used to fit fine, no longer touches the side of the slide at the bottom. Can't figure out how that it happening, but we are in the process of having that one replaced also...
Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

If anyone needs some other pics related to their slide leak problem I will take a pic of same location on mine for comparison. Our slides are built different but you should not have leaks in any case.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote