Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2023, 05:01 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Leaking antennae wire on roof

Recently we found quite a puddle of water on our dash on the Adventurer 38Q after recent rains. I had thought it might be the seam between the roof filon and the forward cap. It was not. Upon research I found the culprit. Heads up if you have a Sirius FM radio with external antennae. If so, the next time you are up on the roof you may want to check what I found. The factory had drilled a hole through the roof on the front cap over the drivers seat to mount the exterior antenna for the radio . I traced the water source there. The antennae is about a 1"x1" small cube sitting on a larger 6x6 (?) plate) mounted to the roof where the hole is punched through to run the antennae wire down into the interior. The effort to seal the area in the factory had been to build a sealant dam around the antennae, which made for a good sized puddle over the drilled out hole. The hole on mine was about 1/4 the size of a dime. Whatever they had used to seal the area around the wire (it looked like self leveling sealant) had dissipated and the entire hole was open to the weather- and rain. It had really been pouring through the hole.

I plugged the hole and loaded the area with more self leveling Hengs sealant. Rain coming Sunday. Hope I stopped the gusher.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, leak, roof