Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Leak roof mounted antenna.

This is on a 87 Chieftian. Roof looks good The TV antenna has been removed leaving the mount. I believe some moisture is coming through the base part that is still on the roof. Maybe the antenna "shingled" the mount and prevented the leaking when it was on the mount. Suggestions please. There is no damage yet but it is going to happen. Uploaded a picture of the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_Resized_Resized_20201006_171825.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	175307  
kykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I guess it depends on how professional you want the repair on your roof to look. A 87' you say... The only people who are going to notice your roof are the ones driving on the overpass and while a dry roof is what everyone wants nobody is going to judge a caulk job up there. Good, bad or otherwise.

I would apply a roof sealant/caulk around the area. Maybe something from Dicor (Acrylic Roof Rubber) or Geocel (ProFlexRV caulk) or something similar from your local hardware store. EternaBond Roof Tape could work but the caulk would settle into any openings. I would lay it on the thick side.

If you go this route I would shy away from using a regular silicone caulk. Its been my experience that it shrinks a bit over time and you'll be reapplying before long.

I think FlexSeal comes in white now and I have had good luck using it to seal up windsheild weatherstripping.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If you're not going to replace the antenna and mount, then I would remove the mount, clean the area thoroughly, patch the hole, coat it liberally with Dicor, and then cover that with Eternabond tape.

If you plan on replacing the antenna, then do all of that except install the new mount rather than patching the hole. Still lots of Dicor covered with Eternabond.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyocamper View Post
If you're not going to replace the antenna and mount, then I would remove the mount, clean the area thoroughly, patch the hole, coat it liberally with Dicor, and then cover that with Eternabond tape.

If you plan on replacing the antenna, then do all of that except install the new mount rather than patching the hole. Still lots of Dicor covered with Eternabond.
Just wondering,
Why in the world would you "Eternabond" OVER some freshly applied Dicor? What good would that do? If a surface is thoroughly cleaned and prepped for a sealer, such as Dicor, then DICOR would be all you would need. I've been using Dicor for decades and it's always worked flawless, all by itself. The factories use it without any additional toppings and it works. This is a choice thing. I guess ya gotta do what makes you happy.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:59 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Cause every single thing that's mounted on my roof is sealed with Dicor and covered with Eternabond. So when I replaced the TV antenna mount and the black tank vent, both of which were involuntarily surrendered to tree branches, I sealed them with Dicor and covered that with Eternabond tape. I'd much rather over-do it than have to deal with a roof leak.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The seal on the worm shaft may be worn out and in need of replacement after 33 years. The antenna arms and sector gear along with its grease would have shielded the seal from becoming UV damaged by the sun.
What really are you long term goals here? Eventually replace the antenna or leave it without? You can block it off the cavity with a piece of aluminum or PVC trim board sealing it in with marine sealant such as 3M 4200 if you want it to be more easily removed or 3M 5200 if its intended to be somewhat permanent and then caulk in between the baseplate and swivel head.

You can also just contact Wineguard about getting the new seals and bushings. There are rubber o-rings in the worm gear shaft itself and a rubber o-ring and nylon bushing to seal the rotating mount to the base plate both of which may simply be worn out. That mount is still being used and parts are available for it from Wineguard and their distributors. You may also be able to remove the mount and match up the o-rings and find bushing material at places such as ACE Hardware.

See: https://d38mfwkkxtsm2m.cloudfront.ne...nts/wc-790.pdf

Even today in the Digital World the Sensar IV which already has the UHF wing mounted on it is about the best RV TV antenna available and a relative bargain at less then $150.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

leaky mini winnie

any suggestions or prayers on replacing leaky roof on 91 warrior minni? we took out ac unit where was leaking and now trying to replace bracing and ceiling. Any suggestions on sealant would be greatly appreciated.
elynne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, leak, roof