Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

LCI - Lippert

Not very pleased with LCI products.

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B with just over 12,000 miles on it. After camping this past weekend, I hit the retract button on the panel. The jacks did retract (I always visually check to insure the jacks are up).

Upon arrival home, I parked our MH in it's place and prepared to lower the jacks so I could open slides and unload. The display indicated 'Jacks Down'. Not so. They were still in the up position. I dug out the manual and followed the instructions to reset the key pad (push Enter and Retract buttons at the same time). I did so. Nothing. Every time I attempted to either lower the jacks manually, or retract, or auto level, I kept getting ERROR - FUNCTION ABORTED displayed. No matter what I did, I got the same message. I called Lippert. Their Tech Rep told me I was not getting voltage to the solenoid. and to check the fuse in line. I tested the positive cable on the solenoid with a volt meter. Had 14 + volts. So much for the fuse theory. Then he asked me to do the reset routine again and again. We did. Nothing. Then he instructed me to find the 'Controller'. Finally found it mounted inside the outside circuit breaker compartment. Had to remove the panel holding all the breakers. He then instructed me to probe the green wire on the 9 pin connector while pushing the auto level button on the key pad. Got the wife to do so. Got voltage and a click in the solenoid.

Then I thought. This guy doesn't have a clue what we're doing here. I had informed him that no matter what buttons I touched on the key pad, I got the ERROR - Function Aborted message.

I then visited Camping World Harrisburg, PA and picked their brain. They told me they do the exact same thing I had done with the Lippert Tech Rep while they troubleshoot systems.

Got my manual out again, wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired. Did some more reading and lo and behold there in fine print it says 'if error message continues, replace controller.

I have one coming in from a supplier on eBay. Cost $170. Camping World price is $226. I have a scheduled appointment for repair on this jack system on the 1st of Sep. IF the new controller (easy to replace) does the trick, I'll cancel the appointment. Yes, I do have an extended warranty on the MH, and yes, it does cover the leveling system. IF this corrects the problem, I'm going to attempt to receive my money back from my Insurance Co. I figured if I take the unit to my dealer, they're gonna spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Could wind up costing me much more that I'll have in the controller. IF it doesn't cure the problem, the MH is going to the dealer.

I'll keep you posted as to the results of the situation.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

It sounds like your on the right track. I have promised myself that when looking for an rv if I see the name Lippert, or Schintek anywhere on it that I will run the other way.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
...I have promised myself that when looking for an rv if I see the name Lippert, or Schintek anywhere on it that I will run the other way.
Just for what it is worth...Lippert is the core of Lippert Components Inc. (LCI).
LCI companies make everything from Awnings to Windows...
See: Capabilities

It could be difficult to get a modern RV with no LCI products on-board.

LCI does not typically sell direct to the public, but for what they do...my personal experience is that their retail function (LCI Store) VERY helpful.
https://store.lci1.com/

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 04:28 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Got lucky with the Itasca Solei we had that had Schwintek slides (probably because we didn't keep it long enough). But we traded for a fifth wheel and the bedroom slide is powered by Schwintek. It has made up for the slides in our former motorhome in spades. I knew when we were looking at the the FW that anything Lippert is not of matter of "if" its going to crap out, but "when". The when for me has been from day one, it even wouldn't close on the day it was being pulled into the service bay for service. That validated me and DW's claims that the slide wasn't working properly. The warranty guys used by the manufacturer put a bandaid on the problem, which worked for a few extends/retracts. Guess what, the bandaid didn't last, now we have to go back to the factory again to fix this pig. i agree with Ron (powderman) above, if you see anything on a rig that's LCI/Lippert RUN AWAY!

I love the rest of this rig, but I have to question the logic in using a slide system that is rampant with problems throughout the RV industry.

Shame on me for believing we'd the lucky ones to not have any issues. So, PA Weldor, you're not alone. Also, thank you for your service!
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #5

Of the only 3 systems on mine I have to coax to work, all 3 are LCI Who would have thought!

• Leveling - continuously times out - retract and enter buttons, then start over.
  • Slides - sometimes stick - wife has to help get it out then I get my can of CRC PTFE dry lube out and the ladder
  • Bed retract for slide - actually a mini schwintek mechanism - continuously broke limit switches for the slide interlock - just bypassed the interlocks permanently.

Did I mention the rest of the coach is awesome! Well maybe those POS Mach 8 ACs are a little noisy, but they work!
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Just for what it is worth...Lippert is the core of Lippert Components Inc. (LCI).
LCI companies make everything from Awnings to Windows...
See: Capabilities

It could be difficult to get a modern RV with no LCI products on-board.

LCI does not typically sell direct to the public, but for what they do...my personal experience is that their retail function (LCI Store) VERY helpful.
https://store.lci1.com/

Safe travels
Yes I understand they have their hands in many aspects of RVs, but the main ones are the frames and slides. Most of the small things I can deal with later. Oh and one more I don't want any part of is the Notcold refrigerators.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

PA Welder-
did you get your controller swapped out? did it fix anything- we are going thru this scenario right now too!
willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowrun View Post
PA Welder-
did you get your controller swapped out? did it fix anything- we are going thru this scenario right now too!
Received the controller yesterday. Installed it last night. Samo, samo. I did locate a complete operators guide on line and downloaded today. It does have a better troubleshooting guide than the one in the Winnebago owners manual. It stated that the Jacks Down display will show if the fluid in the reservoir is low. So, I added a little fluid. Nope. That's not it.

Taking MH back to dealer's on Thursday.

I also discovered that once I removed the outside compartment circuit breaker panel to gain access to the controller, there are two in line 15 amp fuses that run to two of the breakers. ???????? That would be real special while on the road if one wasn't aware of their locations.
Old 08-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I'm having the same problem with my jacks, not coming down. Is the fuse compartment under the engine hood? Did you replace the 15 amp fuses? Where did you find the manual to download re the jacks. Thanks in advance.
DWTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Gentlemen it is the Lippert hydraulic motor that is BAD.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWTK View Post
I'm having the same problem with my jacks, not coming down. Is the fuse compartment under the engine hood? Did you replace the 15 amp fuses? Where did you find the manual to download re the jacks. Thanks in advance.

Here's the link to the Owners Manual: OWNERS MANUAL - Lippert Components, Inc. (LCIā„¢)

No, I didn't replace the fuses. They were ok.

On our MH there are a few locations for fuses and/or circuit breakers. Under the hood, under the dash on drivers side, outside compartment dedicated to just circuit breakers, the leveler controller (and those two behind the panel 15 amp fuses. Might be more. I just haven't found them yet.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for everyone's input. I located the fuse. At the levelling pump location, follow the positive wire towards the battery and you will find a 15 amp in line fuse. As per discussions twice with Lippert people, I checked the fuse and it was ok. As the front drivers side jack was down, I had to manually retract the jack as per the owners manual. As per a previous comment, I think it is the pump motor. Off to the shop I go.
DWTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Weldor View Post
Not very pleased with LCI products.

We have a 2014 Winnebago Vista 35B with just over 12,000 miles on it. After camping this past weekend, I hit the retract button on the panel. The jacks did retract (I always visually check to insure the jacks are up).

Upon arrival home, I parked our MH in it's place and prepared to lower the jacks so I could open slides and unload. The display indicated 'Jacks Down'. Not so. They were still in the up position. I dug out the manual and followed the instructions to reset the key pad (push Enter and Retract buttons at the same time). I did so. Nothing. Every time I attempted to either lower the jacks manually, or retract, or auto level, I kept getting ERROR - FUNCTION ABORTED displayed. No matter what I did, I got the same message. I called Lippert. Their Tech Rep told me I was not getting voltage to the solenoid. and to check the fuse in line. I tested the positive cable on the solenoid with a volt meter. Had 14 + volts. So much for the fuse theory. Then he asked me to do the reset routine again and again. We did. Nothing. Then he instructed me to find the 'Controller'. Finally found it mounted inside the outside circuit breaker compartment. Had to remove the panel holding all the breakers. He then instructed me to probe the green wire on the 9 pin connector while pushing the auto level button on the key pad. Got the wife to do so. Got voltage and a click in the solenoid.

Then I thought. This guy doesn't have a clue what we're doing here. I had informed him that no matter what buttons I touched on the key pad, I got the ERROR - Function Aborted message.

I then visited Camping World Harrisburg, PA and picked their brain. They told me they do the exact same thing I had done with the Lippert Tech Rep while they troubleshoot systems.

Got my manual out again, wiring diagram leaves a lot to be desired. Did some more reading and lo and behold there in fine print it says 'if error message continues, replace controller.

I have one coming in from a supplier on eBay. Cost $170. Camping World price is $226. I have a scheduled appointment for repair on this jack system on the 1st of Sep. IF the new controller (easy to replace) does the trick, I'll cancel the appointment. Yes, I do have an extended warranty on the MH, and yes, it does cover the leveling system. IF this corrects the problem, I'm going to attempt to receive my money back from my Insurance Co. I figured if I take the unit to my dealer, they're gonna spend a lot of time troubleshooting. Could wind up costing me much more that I'll have in the controller. IF it doesn't cure the problem, the MH is going to the dealer.

I'll keep you posted as to the results of the situation.
Just got a call from my dealer. They determined that the pump motor is bad. They called my extended warranty folks and they will not cover the diagnostic labor cost or the shipping charge for the new motor. They WILL pay for the labor to install the new motor and the price of the motor (less my deductible). Still gonna cost me almost $500 for this fiasco (I'm having them do an annual inspection on the MH,so that's some of the added cost).

Did I am not happy with Lippert products.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

An Update.

Just called the dealer. They informed me that the motor is scheduled to be shipped on the 26th. Not acceptable. I told the Service Manager we needed the mH back by the 15th. We have a trip planned that we paid for a year ago.

He stated that they contacted Winnebago about the pump motor, they informed them they are on back order. I asked why he didn't contact Lippert directly for the motor. He said Winnebago built the MH so they have to contact them. He stated that Lippert 'probably' doesn't have any pumps on hand. Then he tells me that even if he did contact Lippert directly for the motor, my super fine extended warranty probably wouldn't cover the motor as it would cost more ordering from Lippert. Huh?

I bought the best extended warranty my dealer (Tom Shaffers RV in Shoemakersville, PA) offered, and it won't cover it? Something smells.

Anyway, I'm picking the MH up tomorrow and going to pull the motor and have it checked by a motor shop.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Weldor View Post
Anyway, I'm picking the MH up tomorrow and going to pull the motor and have it checked by a motor shop.
Good move. A motor shop can rewind it and get you back on the road for probably less money than messing with the warranty co. I hope it works out well for you.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:22 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem in that the " jacks down" light went on while in motion, after checking , the jacks were retracted but the light wouldn't go off and there was a timeout error. To cut it short I reset the system, unfortunately at the Costco gas station, a hydraulic Jack hose had a leak , there was a pool of fluid on the gas station floor......... When the jacks retract , a pressure switch has to be satisfied for the light to go out and for correct operation of the system. The orange return hoses are not very strong and apparently according to other RV forums, they have been a problem for a few years. I replaced all the orange hoses with 5800psi hoses and solved the problem.
Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1473402087.019613.jpg
Views: 599
Size:  90.5 KB
this where they belong.

2015 Itasca Sunstar 30 T
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-09-2016, 03:24 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Try Lichtsinn in Forest City, IA for your motor. He ships immediately and seems to have a huge parts inventory. Weven things I wouldn't expect them to carry.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Called LCI this a.m. before going to my dealer. Seems they have plenty of these motors in stock. Also called my extended warranty folks and was informed they approved the repair but do not recommend who the dealer purchases the parts from. Dealer told me that purchasing the motor directly from LCI Lippert would cost more and my warranty folks probably wouldn't pay the extra cost. False. The motor costs the same from LCI.

Anyway, traveled 45 miles to my dealer, spoke my mind, showed him the quote from Lippert and I all but accused them of attempting to order from a second party just to make more money. They ordered the motor from Lippert and I should have the MH back next week.

I am not happy with Tom Shaeffers Camping and RV center in Shoemakersville, PA.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Picked up our MH this a.m. Checked the jacks and at first I got the old Error Function Aborted display. Did the reset (press Retract and Enter at same time). They work.

Now I discovered as I took the old motor apart this p.m. there was water inside. It ran out on my bench. Seems the end caps on this motor only have a fiber gasket, not a waterproof. Since this unit sits about 1 foot behind the left front tire, and the mudflap doesn't cover the whole width, there is an opening where water can splash directly on motor. One would think that Winnebago would have enclosed the pump. The new motor looks like it's got the same type gasket material, and I don't know if the dealer replaced the seal between the motor and the pump. Soooooo, I'm gonna silicone caulk all areas I think water can enter the motor.

Here's a couple of pic of the motor/pump location:

As you can see there's quite an opening between the mud flap and side wall. The rear end cap of the motor is totally exposed.

Looking from tire rearward.

Looking in from compartment door. Yup, that's the ground folks. Not a very good design by Winnebago if you ask me.

Tags
lippert