Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Large slide

I am looking at the new Adventurer for a possible purchase, my only hesitation is on the large slides. I went through several problems with a full slide on a 5th wheel, poor engineering, too much weight. I would like to hear from people with problems/ or not with the large slide we are full timers so it would be used often.

Thanks, Ray
rjsupersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

There have been problems with the Schwinteck slide but I do not know if there still is a problem. If you are in eastern SD, you could get good service at the factory in Forest City, Iowa, if ever needed.
Search for posts on the subject here, as there have been several posts.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2012 Winnebago Journey 36M with a full body slide. I absolutely love it.

It only slides out approximately 18 inches. Never had any problems with it. I live in Alabama, and we have been to Oklahoma, San Antonio, Texas 3 times and West Virginia. Plus all the local runs to the lake and Biloxi, MS we take. This is to say that we use the slide extensively. So far, zero problems.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

No problems with ours either and we have stayed in 86 campground since we got it in Nov of 2011 so probably used the side a about a 100 times
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We have a 2013 Adventurer with the full wall slide. It did need to be adjusted once because it wasn't coming in the same at the bottom as the top. That was 6 months and 4,000 miles ago. All has been working well since the adjustment.

As previously mentioned the full wall slide doesn't extend as far as the previous generation slides. That being said we love it. When the slide is extended there's almost twice the living space as in our 2001 Adventurer 32V with the single living room slide.

The only downside is the outdoor storage compartments no longer move with the slide. I can't count the number of times I've banged my head on the extended slide trying to access the storage compartments. I guess it takes an old dog longer to learn a new trick.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all ! Great response. It seems that the slide only extending 18" takes much of the stress off the components.
rjsupersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Our 2013Meridian 34B had a problem with the Schwintek mechanism. The techs at CW worked on it twice and finally said we should take it to the factory. We did so in December 2013 and they fixed it. We traveled about 5000 miles since then and have not had a problem.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide