Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee Step Refuses to operate

Hi

Just got our winne Adventurer out of storage Kwikee step refuses to operate.

Checked the following:- I have followed the trouble shooting guide in the user manual (874) and all the steps appear to be OK including the Motor test. There is power through the test procedure. but as you can imagine being on a campsite I do not have access to the special lead to conduct the operational steps. I have however extended the step using some "jump" leads so the motor is OK (extends and retracts) Figs 7-8 and 10 (test 4-way plug - Vehicle Half) test perfectly BUT test step 15 ( fig 9) Shows the reverse of what should be IE I get 12v when door is CLOSED and 0v when Open. Any advice would be appreciated. The vehicle has been in storage for some 6 months, and during that time the vehicle battery was completely "destroyed" and has been replaced. (New). Is there any possibility that the step could have been "stuck" part closed/open and damaged some electronic Item?.

pete
PeteH1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteH1944 View Post
Hi

Just got our winne Adventurer out of storage Kwikee step refuses to operate.

Checked the following:- I have followed the trouble shooting guide in the user manual (874) and all the steps appear to be OK including the Motor test. There is power through the test procedure. but as you can imagine being on a campsite I do not have access to the special lead to conduct the operational steps. I have however extended the step using some "jump" leads so the motor is OK (extends and retracts) Figs 7-8 and 10 (test 4-way plug - Vehicle Half) test perfectly BUT test step 15 ( fig 9) Shows the reverse of what should be IE I get 12v when door is CLOSED and 0v when Open. Any advice would be appreciated. The vehicle has been in storage for some 6 months, and during that time the vehicle battery was completely "destroyed" and has been replaced. (New). Is there any possibility that the step could have been "stuck" part closed/open and damaged some electronic Item?.

pete
pete,
you don't say what year your moho is.
there was a change in the wiring and control configuration in newer models.
the switches are wired differently. i have 2 pdf files relating to kwikee steps. they are too large to attach here. one is 13.3 mb.
if you pm me with your email address, i will send it to you via email.

Kwikee Step Tech Info
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee Step Refuses to operate

Hi

Mho is 1999 Adventurer, and I am aware that the change was made about that time also. I have access to both the early and later Kwikee Manuals via online pdf. but identifying the Controller is problem the switch (magetic, BLACK) appears to to be ok the motor operates the step (when overidden) with jumper leads. and appart from the anomaly over the voltage reading when the step switch is operated (seems to be reverse of what kwikee expect). all the other stuff checks out.

Nothing has been changed from before it went into storage back in February, except for the battery dying. and it operated perfectly then. ???

For my money it points at the controller but $190-00 if I am wrong???

Pete
Old 12-10-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

If you're still having problem by Monday. Email Power Gear/ Kwikee tech support [email protected]. They are very helpful and respond quickly on leveler issues I've had in the past. Hopefully they can assist you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I'm having a similar problem with my steps on 2011 Winnebago. I sent an e-mail to them on Thursday and still waiting for a reply. Winnebago service wasn't much help, they didn't even ask me what year or model I had, hard to believe.

Nick
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Regarding step 15... Kwikee has two different controllers, One is a very "Retangular" case and the other, though 4 sided, looks almost like a right triangle (It is a trapezoid)

There are TWO major differences in these controllers.

ONE of them is Step 15 is reversed. That is on the one controller Door closed, Switch closed (I think that is the new one) on the other, the other way around, Door closed SWITCH open. (But do not quote me as to which is which, THINK = NOT SURE)

The other one is that on the OLD controller (this time I am sure) if you turn off the switch with the steps retracted.. They remain retracted.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi
So Far, mag switch appears to work, just apparently reversed??? Nothing has been altered yet from the configuration that, I assume Winnebago set in 1999,and which prior to storage worked perfectly, The coach was "babied" all of its life, the previous owner we suspect was a bit of a pedant, in that dept; and being a Florida Coach, is virtually corrosion free. but even so the grounding was checked and appears OK?. and the Isolating switch by the door has been checked out as OK. but in any case I have power to the red yellow and white and brown leads as per the "trouble shooting" chart in the user manual.

Kwikee themselves do not respond and appear to ONLY deal with Traders.

Does anyone know if the controller part 909510000 which looks different but appears to do the same job, will fit? as I can have one of these in a couple of days but no one seems to have the 909506000. which is what is on my controller.

regards

Pete

P.s I have just e-mailed Powergedarus, thanks CliffTall
Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I just had the same problem 3 months ago. I ended up replacing the controller and the steps worked fine after that.
railrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hi

I think I got a "result". obtained a good deal on a 909510000 controller which Kwikee say is compatible. and will not have to "swop out" the mag switch which is a bonus. the Guy at Kwikee was most accommodating and knowledgeable . so just waiting for the "new" controller to arrive!!

Thanks to the Posters for your help too.

pete
Old 12-14-2011, 08:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Pete,
Just a thought that rumbled (fumbled) through my head.

The magnetic switch is just that a switch that either closes or opens the loop to the controller. Is it possible that somewhere along the line one of those wires corroded, frayed, cut, etc.? Can you pull those two leads off the magnet and clip them together and see what happens? Tracing them with an ohm meter would be better, but hey, you're in the "field."

In any case, good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hi gents,
This is all interesting reading. I've had trouble with both the Kwikee step(s) and Kwikee step cover. In both instances, it was faulty connections. It took some investigating, cleaning and making sure all grounds and receptacles were in perfect condition and that cured my issues with both mechanisms. That's not to say it will be your answer to your problems but, I'd just make sure all your connections are as good as they can be. Just a thought here.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I went over to storage today and after charging my battery for 24 hours got 13.42 volts on it, hooked it up and it still wouldn't open the steps. Called Winnebago and they told me if the light would not come on with the overide switch in either position that it is most likely a inline resistor. He told me they started using them about two years ago to stop high voltage damage to the control box. He's sending me a new one tomorrow to try. I don't know how high voltage got to the resistor but I'm hoping he's right in my case as it's under warranty and I know I can't get an appointment at the dealer before I leave for Florida. Also, I still can't figure out what discharged my battery, it was only 7 or 8 days since I drove it to the gas station for a fill and all was fine at that point.

Nick
2011 Winnebago Vista 35F
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee