Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Kwikee Step Problem

Has anyone encountered this or know of a solution?

Periodically our step will not extend or retract. The problem has always been with the door contact plunge switch on the jamb. I would remove it, re-adjust the contacts and problem solved.

This time that does not seem to be the problem. So I removed the wired half of the magnetic door sensor that triggers the step and cut the two wires to remove the sensor. I found that twisting the wires together allowed the step to retract. I set the control switch to off thinking that would kill the power to it while driving. We left the park we were in for one ninety miles away and the step self extended and retracted probably a dozen times along the way.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

There’s a control module order the step, that tells the motor to stop, once the step is in our out. I’d check those connections. If you have to, you can disconnect it temporarily at that spot, until you resolve the issue. I added a switch there, no manually disconnect it if I needed to...
Old 03-10-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
There’s a control module order the step, that tells the motor to stop, once the step is in our out. I’d check those connections. If you have to, you can disconnect it temporarily at that spot, until you resolve the issue. I added a switch there, no manually disconnect it if I needed to...
So maybe a control module failure?
I guess instead of installing a switch one could unplug the connector?
Old 03-10-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
So maybe a control module failure?
I guess instead of installing a switch one could unplug the connector?
I didn't add a switch due to a module failure, I added a switch because our dog would freak out when the step would come in and out once the ignition key was on and the door closed and opened. This way, I can temporarily disengage the steps.

That is what I was trying to say. "If you have to, you can disconnect it temporarily at that spot, until you resolve the issue."

I was just saying that's the module you might look at, and yes, simply unplug it until you can find the short.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Before making changes, I might first want to go through the troubleshooting charts that I have seen online as it may be something simple to sort out and fix.
Did you get a big bag of info that would help sort out exactly which model of step you have?
With that info one can help to sort out the differences in different models.

This is one place which might be a start:
https://support.lci1.com/kwikee-steps
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Nothing in our big bag of goodies on the step unfortunately. Thanks for the link. I'll check online to see what I can find. I was really hoping someone here had some experience with this issue. There is a lot of knowledge on this site.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-10-2021, 08:00 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Nothing in our big bag of goodies on the step unfortunately. Thanks for the link. I'll check online to see what I can find. I was really hoping someone here had some experience with this issue. There is a lot of knowledge on this site.

Thanks for the replies!
I actually did have the exact same issue with a rental RV. We’d be driving down the road and I could hear the step going in and out randomly, but frequently. I isolated it to a short in the wires at the door magneto.

I didn’t mention that, because it sounded like you’d already looked there. That’s why I said, look under the step at the module connections, and in an emergency, until you have time to deal with it, you could unplug the stair module underneath.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Wyatt, that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm wondering if those magnetic switches go bad and replacing it might be the solution. I looked at the link provided by Morich, but it doesn't address that.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Also, I didn't see any sign of a short on either of the wires.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:31 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Also, I didn't see any sign of a short on either of the wires.
Did you just try and disconnect the wires from the magneto altogether? That better stop it. And probably point at a bad magneto, or misaligned one...
Old 03-14-2021, 06:08 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Make sure you have a good ground on the frame. If it’s loose it will cause intermittent step actuation. The ground wire attaches to the frame under the steps on our 2000 Brave.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:27 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

As Delhawk says, a bag ground, or any other loose connection could cause that. Have you checked under the steps yet?
Old 03-14-2021, 06:32 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Lippert Industries supplies most of the Kwikee step controllers and has a support site at . https://support.lci1.com/.

FYI -

Be careful of the stair step mechanical assemblies, there is a lot of torque in certain mechanical components.

The magnetic switch is known as a "reed switch". Reed switches are usually very reliable. You can test the reed switch by putting a small magnet next to it seeing if the stairs retract (watch out!) with the door open.

The plunger switch usually controls the light that illuminates the steps as well as other functions. The light can therefore be used as a troubleshooting indicator. The light should be out when the plunger is depressed and on when the plunger is extended. This behavior would eliminate the plunger switch and related wiring as being the problem.

From your description, I would look elsewhere than the switches, possibly a loose wiring connection.

Some stair step assemblies have sophisticated controllers that retract the stairs if the engine is on and the RV is in gear. Lippert is a good source of info.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboy View Post
Lippert Industries supplies most of the Kwikee step controllers and has a support site at . https://support.lci1.com/.

FYI -

Be careful of the stair step mechanical assemblies, there is a lot of torque in certain mechanical components.

The magnetic switch is known as a "reed switch". Reed switches are usually very reliable. You can test the reed switch by putting a small magnet next to it seeing if the stairs retract (watch out!) with the door open.

The plunger switch usually controls the light that illuminates the steps as well as other functions. The light can therefore be used as a troubleshooting indicator. The light should be out when the plunger is depressed and on when the plunger is extended. This behavior would eliminate the plunger switch and related wiring as being the problem.

From your description, I would look elsewhere than the switches, possibly a loose wiring connection.

Some stair step assemblies have sophisticated controllers that retract the stairs if the engine is on and the RV is in gear. Lippert is a good source of info.
This points to what I find on the steps as they are not just a simple in or out switch but they do have a number of different modes like when you have it shut off but it still extends if you open the door or pulls in if you start the engine. Much more complex operation than one might first think as they both do not want to let you fall out the door because their step did not come out, nor do they want you forgetting and driving away with the step out.
That leaves me to look for exact info on what to expect because it is much more complex than I first gave credit.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:16 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

When the motor is running the steps become active so they can retract in case you left them out and will extend if you open the door. If water got into the magnetic reed switch the spring can deteriorate to the point that it will flop around while driving and randomly extend and retract the steps.

Fairly easy and inexpensive task to replace the reed switch as just about any reed switch from a shop that sells home security alarms would suffice. Radio Shack used to be the go-to place to get them. Typically a less than $10 problem. Once you pop the decorative cover off the switch its fairly easy to bypass it or put an in-line shut-off switch to prevent the steps from deploying while the engine is running.

An intermittent power supply or ground can also cause random deploying or retraction of the steps so its always good to make checking the power feed and ground connections part of your trouble shooting of step issues.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:37 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Not the reed switch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
When the motor is running the steps become active so they can retract in case you left them out and will extend if you open the door. If water got into the magnetic reed switch the spring can deteriorate to the point that it will flop around while driving and randomly extend and retract the steps.

Fairly easy and inexpensive task to replace the reed switch as just about any reed switch from a shop that sells home security alarms would suffice. Radio Shack used to be the go-to place to get them. Typically a less than $10 problem. Once you pop the decorative cover off the switch its fairly easy to bypass it or put an in-line shut-off switch to prevent the steps from deploying while the engine is running.

An intermittent power supply or ground can also cause random deploying or retraction of the steps so its always good to make checking the power feed and ground connections part of your trouble shooting of step issues.

R2D2 says that he shorted (bypassed) the magnetic switch and the stairs randomly extended and retracted while the RV was in motion while the switch shorted. The bypassed magnetic switch was eliminated from influencing the controller in any way, so is exonerated as a problem source.

There is a controller/motor ground wire that is close to the stair mechanics that could potentially be shredded or broken by the mechanism. The wire has a clip to keep it clear of the mechanics.
The house batteries are located directly above the stair assembly in my rig, allowing potential loose battery fluids to drip on the controller cable connectors.Both of these conditions could result in intermittent connections.
Old 03-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I had the exact same issue. I was on the road and wanting to move on so I disconnected the steps from the motor mechanism mechanically and held them in place with clamps.

When I had time to look at them I found a loose connection at the wire connector on the reed switch. I looked to be ok at first glance but the wire had pulled loose and was just far enough into the lug to look good.

I think with out looking that you have a problem in that circuit. If it is not right at the reed switch it is some place in that circuit. Not sure how far along you are but if you connect the wires together at the reed switch that will hold the steps in if the problem is at the switch.

Frank B
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

R2D2's original post - " I found that twisting the wires together allowed the step to retract. I set the control switch to off thinking that would kill the power to it while driving. We left the park we were in for one ninety miles away and the step self extended and retracted probably a dozen times along the way."

If the reed switch was disabled ("twisting the wires together") from signaling the controller, the reed switch isn't the problem. Your description of a loose/broken connection makes sense because the door was in the closed position and the reed switch was actuated (closed) by the magnetic field, corresponding to the door being closed. When the loose connection opened, the controller got a "door open" signal that actuated the stair extension. When the loose connection closed, the reed switch was reconnected to the circuit and the normal "door closed" signal was sent to the controller, so the motor closed the door.

This is a simplistic explanation, as NeilV points out, there are other things that are going on with the control circuits. (Why doesn't the dog get crushed when stuck in the retracting steps?)
Old 03-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for the great replies! After readjusting the door plunge switches, I checked the step wiring. The step was out and the light on. Connections and ground appear to be solid. The attached photo is the switch that I removed, cut the wires and tied them together. The step went in so I thought that was the problem and I'd pick up a new switch. Then as I said, the step self extended and retracted multiple times as I was driving leaving me less sure.

There is a module mounted on the step frame under the coach that I assume is a power module (a local guy called it a board, but that's not what it looks like to me), are those prone to failure?

Thanks again for the support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door Mag Switch.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	177782  
Old 03-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

correction/redo -

Rather than "the motor closed the door" I meant "the motor retracted the steps". Sorry-

Tags
kwikee