Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #41
Winnebago Owner

All the elec steps i have seen use magnetic switches, magnet on door, 2 wire sensor going to step controller - check the ends that is where most issues arise.

what can go wrong, just the wires.

GL !
SmilingSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:35 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Simon,

He checked those.
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 06:42 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

Well, after traveling 2,500 miles without a problem, I think I can put this to rest. What I found were two potential problems. One was that the step well cover hydraulic tank was leaking fluid that dripped directly onto the step power connector. The other issue is with the connector itself. It only has a positive locking latch on one side. So it's also possible that it wasn't making complete contact. Maybe a combo of the two issues. Either way, I cleaned the fluid off it as best I could, dried the contacts and had no self opening/closing issues on the entire trip and it operated with the door reed switch as designed.

Now that we are settled in for a few months, I plan to zip tie the connector to keep it tight and tape it up so any fluid/moisture won't compromise it.

In the attached photo, I had already cleaned the dripping fluid from the solenoid above the connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	179006  
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations and thanks for the postmortem. My rig has the house battery box located directly above the step motor so I can anticipate similar failures from the same root cause only with spilled battery fluid rather than hydraulic fluid.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee