Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee step

I have a 95 Brave 27'. The kwikee steps will not retract when I turn on the ignition key. I applied 12v. to the yellow wire under the coach and they retracted. I cannot find out where that yellow wire goes or where it is fused. There are a set of fuses under the dash and in the bedroom for the converter. Am I missing an area? There must be at least two fuses for the steps. I've looked at the wiring diagram but it does not seem to show the fuse or location.....
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the real world of motorhome electrical, I've found fuses in five different locations on my coach. Just a thought to check also ; the alignment of the magnetic door sensor, if the control box doesn't see the door closed, it keeps the step out, even with the ignition on. At least on my coach.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

It will work in normal mode. If the step is out, and the door is closed, when the ignition key is turned on it is supposed to automatically retract. It does not do this, and there is no power to the yellow wire. It is supposed to have 12 volts when the key is turned on.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

make sure your coach battery charges when the engine is running. I had the same symtons and I found a blown diode about 6 inches into the wire tube that feeds the solenoid that activates when the ignition is turned on, and that was the power supply for the yellow wire to my steps and to charge my coach battery. replaced the diode with one from Radio Shack. I think it was less then $1, but a couple of frustating hours of work to find it. had I known it was there it would have been a 15 minute job. good luck.
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I just wish I could find out where it is fused. The quest continues.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Your problem is not a fuse. There is only one fuse and it comes from the engine battery. You problem is with the step control. See the Kwikee FAQ below
FAQ: Kwikee Steps - Power Gear

Did this problem just start or has it been like this all along?
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieTwo View Post
I just wish I could find out where it is fused. The quest continues.
did a take a volt meter and verify that your auxilliary battery is charging when the engine is runnning?
mikf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The battery is charging. It used to work. When the ignition was turned on the step would retract. It does not do that anymore. In the trouble shooting section. It says that the yellow wire must be hooked up to the ignition system for it to work. No power to the yellow wire when the ignition is turned on. Again, if I put 12Volts to the yelllow wire, it retracts.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Problem fixed I believe....... On the front drivers side of the MH there is a panel labeled-- Battery solenoid and relays. I took the cover off and noticed a purple heavy gauge wire with a very large blue connector on it. I pulled the connector apart and as I pushed it back together, the steps retracted. The key was on. I noticed that the two metal parts of the connector had just a bit of corrosion on them. I used dielectric grease on it and hopefully it will work. I still have not found a fuse for the system but there must be one some where.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Wiring for Yellow wire "IGN" wire (circuit WH).
Starts on top left page 3 of http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1995/111852.pdf

Circuit WH goes to left side (C16) of page 2 on http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1995/115147.pdf

Follow circuit WH on to page 1 all the way to right side (C2) to fuse block housing under dash pod.

Move over to upper left of page 3 drawing Front End Wiring Installation: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/1995/114153.pdf. That panel is under the dash (GG reference on page 2). You will see 5 amp fuse "Elec Step IGN". That is your ignition step control path. The 25 amp Elec Step Feed (circuit KA) fuse is the primary step feed circuit (red wire at step on 1st ref above). The 5 amp Elec Step cntrl (circuit ER) fuse is the step kill switch in the galley.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: https://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you very much Dave. That is what I was trying to figure out but couldn't understand on the wiring diagram.

Tags
kwikee