Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee Level Best System

I have the semi-automatic system, and it has worked well every time, up to now.

Coach was in shop the last seven days. Front brakes, rotors turned, wheel bearings and races.

Brought it home a few hours ago, and leveling system does not work.

I get NO sound or action from the pump. I 'think' I heard it try to start up once for just a second or two, but then nothing.

All the lights on the control panel work, and not sure what to try next.

When I start the engine, it looks like the needle on the battery goes up a bit from where it usually is. I thought I might take a look at the batteries.

The two on the left (house ?) give the same 4.48v reading, the battery on the right (cranking ?) is at 12.39v.

My first guess is that the shop left something on, and my short trip home of about 20 miles was not enough to charge the batteries. It has been plugged into shore power for almost 3 hours, but no real change yet, but there was enough power to start the coach.

First a couple of questions -

How long should it take for the batteries to come up when connected to shore power?

Where could I (or should I) connect a battery charger to help bring the batteries up?

Have I maybe damaged the batteries by letting them get so low?

I welcome and and all help or suggestions.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Except for maybe killing my batteries, I think I am on my way to solving the leveling problem.

I believe the leveling problem was caused by low voltage. I placed the house batteries on a charger, and they started accepting a charge. When they got over 12.5v, I tried the leveling jacks and they worked.

Kinda worked. They started to raise the front of the coach, but I could hear the pump starting to slow down. I stopped at that point and checked battery voltage again. It had dropped to about 11.5v.

I will leave it on an automatic charger overnight and hope for the best. These are sealed batteries, NAPA 8304's, marine starting.

After spending $980.00 earlier today for lots of front end work, I don't want to have to start spending on batteries.

Wish me luck!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #3

Your house batteries are dead at 4.48v. If you are showing that voltage while plugged into shore, then your converter/charger is not working. Check for 120vac at the outlet it's plugged into. If Nothing, check all 120v circuit breakers (turn all off and then back on) and reset ALL GFIs in the coach, then check again. If power has been restored to that outlet, now check house batteries again. If not 13+ volts, check converter for any blown fuses. If still only 4v, connect a battery charger to the house batteries and leave on for 24 hours. You should also start the engine and check house batteries, they should show 14+ volts with engine running. This will tell you at least that system is working.
Route 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My model WInni is 3 years newer than yours, but it specifically states in the manual to have the engine running so that the alternator can assist with the jacks and the slides.

Did you try the jacks with the engine running?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

My 'book' plainly states to have the motor running, OR the ignition in the accessory position. I have never had any trouble before.

I now believe the system shut itself off due to low voltage. After a few hours on a charger, and the voltage up to over 12.5v, the leveling system works.

Thanks for everyone help and interest. I do have a few other issues I will be posting about later today.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewNTexas View Post
My 'book' plainly states to have the motor running, OR the ignition in the accessory position. I have never had any trouble before.

I now believe the system shut itself off due to low voltage. After a few hours on a charger, and the voltage up to over 12.5v, the leveling system works.

Thanks for everyone help and interest. I do have a few other issues I will be posting about later today.
I once had the exact same problem with my jacks as you did, from the same initial problem: battery issues. In my case I went ahead and replaced the battery and the jacks became operational. Something must 'trip' when getting low voltage and shuts down the entire panel and they've worked correctly every since.

Only issue I have now is that infrequently, while traveling at highway speeds, the jack panel lights up like a Christmas tree with the audible alert warning, telling me the jacks are down! First time it happened really startled me, as I was expecting the jacks to start lowering. Hopefully that really isn't possible, but the image does go through your mind with the legs extending at highway speeds, bending back, trying to lift the motorhome... -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

WOW, just the mental image of the jacks extending while rolling down the road is scarey.

As you said, you don't know if this is possible, and don't think it is, but it is still scarey.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

has any one had the reverse problem that jacks will not retract? I am stuck on my jacks,, on/off switch will not turn on but other lights ( all up red and ignition green) come on. Is there an emergency procedure to retract, I don't have the jumper tool the book suggests. its a Kiwikee level best 3000 system. I even took the brake off and was able to put the coach in drive and they did not retract.
shutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee