Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Kwikee Level Best 3000 system

2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J w/ Kwikee Level Best 3000 system, 4 years of full time use and now I have problem retracting jacks! When I tried to raise the jacks, the pump ran for half a second and then stopped! the RV did drop just a little. I replaced the battery and the soleniod. Control panel closes the solenoid when pushing and of the bi-level switches sending 12.9 volts to the motor, and the motor has a good ground. The Control panel beeps 9 times with an all up steady red light, this makes me think the parking brake is not on, but it is! ANY IDEAS?
Sightseer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sightseer08,

The all up light is only an indication that the jacks are up, and apparently in this situation they are not up.

According to the Kwikee manual for troubleshooting:

Ignition needs to be on, and the engine running
Parking brake must be applied
Reed switches not grounded or reed switch is defective

they state that when the jacks don't extend the direcitonal valve is not shifting positions - possibly do to foreign object obstructing the valve itself or the solenoid is not working properly. I would imagine that the reverse could also be true.

I have not had a problem with not retracting, but other electronic problems.

There is a Control Panel Jumper Instructions in the manual. Rather than me typing the entire instructions I'd suggest you go to the PowerGear/Kwikee web site and download the instructions. Basically you pull the Level Best control panel out and you will see a Jumper assembly. You disconnect the wire harness, plug the large connector of the jumper into the wire harness, plug the 4 way connector into the wire harness. CAUTION, the pump will start immediately and the jacks will retract.
When the jacks have retracted immediately diconnect the 4 pin connector or the pump will over heat. Disconnect the jumper harness and have the system serviced.

My note: if the jacks don't retract in this manner, really check the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir. Low fluid will keep the jacks from retracting.

Not responsible for mishap/damage: download the operator/service manual for full details.

Good luck.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Wayne M,
Thanks for the info, all attempts failed. I removed the motor and tried a battery, no movement. Found a replacement motor and will install it on Monday!
Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Check the manual for your system, and on my system there is supposed to be 1500 psi of head pressure when the pump is working. There is a port on the reservoir to check it and a small set screw to change the pressure. This should be done by a qualified technician. 1500psi can hurt if not handled correctly.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Wayne M.

The motor is a vertical mount, witch allows moisture to sit on a nut and washer, that grounds the motor internally. This connection corroded and burnt with the help of salt air & (being behind the drivers tire). $150.00 to replace the motor,, not the $2100.00 that a Dealer quoted (because it only comes as a complete unit!). Thanks for the help, back on four wheels!
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

wonderful, easy, and not to expensive a fix.

Thanks for the update.

Happy trails.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Kwikee 3000

Sightseer08 could you tell us where you purchased you replacement motor thanks in advance.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

fun 33V.
At first, I could not see a part # on the motor. It is in a rat's nest of wiring and hydrulic lines. After removing it, a big silver placard had the #O-08111-1. You can search the internet, found lots of vendors for it.
Spencer Fluid Power, Ontario Ca, but I also found it online from $59.00 to $259.00. Both the new and old came from China. A little leg work can pay off.

Tags
kwikee