Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Koni Shocks - did i get knock-offs?

Hello all, first time purchaser of Koni shocks here. Got the fronts for my 2013 Vista F53 chassis. Got the 8805-1018 models from LTB Auto Sports on eBay. The paint job is rough on these- lots of paint runs and the rubber bushings were partially sprayed as well (pic below of one of the runs and a bushing as example). The casings have stamped in them "Made by Koni - Holland" and otherwise look legitimate. Can anyone help me figure out if these are real or knock offs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1859.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	177084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1860.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	177085  

WinnieVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

That seller has generally pretty good reviews. Dunno. Can I ask if they were shipped from LTB themselves or did they have a vendor they do business with drop ship them to you? You might have to contact LTB to find out.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieVista View Post
Hello all, first time purchaser of Koni shocks here. Got the fronts for my 2013 Vista F53 chassis. Got the 8805-1018 models from LTB Auto Sports on eBay. The paint job is rough on these- lots of paint runs and the rubber bushings were partially sprayed as well (pic below of one of the runs and a bushing as example). The casings have stamped in them "Made by Koni - Holland" and otherwise look legitimate. Can anyone help me figure out if these are real or knock offs?
May be refurbished?
Old 02-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
That seller has generally pretty good reviews. Dunno. Can I ask if they were shipped from LTB themselves or did they have a vendor they do business with drop ship them to you? You might have to contact LTB to find out.
Good question- shipped from ltbauto, the seller.

Refurbished may be it. I cannot imagine these would make it through qc for a $170 shock. Also one of them appears to have been leaking oil, certainly not good.

I will reach out to the seller. Does anyone have recommendations on who to buy from if this one doesnt work out?
Old 02-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Good question- shipped from ltbauto, the seller.

Refurbished may be it. I cannot imagine these would make it through qc for a $170 shock. Also one of them appears to have been leaking oil, certainly not good.

I will reach out to the seller. Does anyone have recommendations on who to buy from if this one doesnt work out?
I bought ours from Amazon, but etrailer sells them too...
Old 02-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

So it turns out the shocks are sold out on amazon except for ones sold by the same supplier ltb. I checked out etrailer and no koni shocks show up on their website. I have checked several other websites online and they appear to be sold out as well. Anyone have any other ideas? Appreciate in advance any help finding them!
Old 02-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I got my Safe-T-Plus from Shockwarehouse. They appear to have Koni in stock.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Here’s another place...

https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/Koni...Ford&filter=21
Old 02-02-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Holy cow, they are awesome. Extremely knowledgeable, best prices around, had them in stock and were very honest about the pros and cons of different suspension upgrades, including ones they sell and don't sell! I am very impressed. Plan to get all of my upgrades for the Winnie from ultrarvproducts.com moving forward. Thank you Wyatt for the lead!
Old 02-04-2021, 10:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I don't know what's up with Koni. I've been on multiple RV forums for years and, even long ago, folks would inquire about Konis and, they were ALWAYS out of stock! A few years later and folks would talk about them again and, OUT OF STOCK! And today, on this and other forums, OUT OF STOCK. Good thing I'm not looking for any.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I bought mine from shock warehouse as well a few years ago. They were very harsh and the paint rusted in two years. Last year I replaced the fronts with HD Bilsteins.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I just cannot tell if switching to Koni will give me any improvement. Wyatt swears by them, but others like jpspaz switched back. I need something to help with the really bad pavement and expansion joints in the road.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 09:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
I just cannot tell if switching to Koni will give me any improvement. Wyatt swears by them, but others like jpspaz switched back. I need something to help with the really bad pavement and expansion joints in the road.
The best and least expensive improvement in ride quality on poor blacktop I have gotten was airing down the tires.

The max cold psi rating from the tire manufacturer on my current set is 110 but according to the load inflation chart I can drop to 90 and still have a margin. I follow the info on the tire vs the placard on the door jamb. Winnebago has it listed at 65 psi but then again I'm not running with the original Michelins.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Lots of counterfeit items being sold on and also by Amazon. Safer to buy from a known dealer as with etrail.com for such items. Unless it is being sold by the manufacturer on Amazon and fulfilled by the manufacturer I would avoid such purchases. There are also items like auto batteries that Amazon will not allow to be returned.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 03:17 PM   #15
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
Yep, and still do..
Old 03-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

That looks like a typical shock paintjob. My koni shocks have the same overspray on the bushings. Nothing surprising here.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:19 PM   #17
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisgah LJ View Post
That looks like a typical shock paintjob. My koni shocks have the same overspray on the bushings. Nothing surprising here.
Unless, you got knock-offs too...😳
Old 03-02-2021, 09:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Well, got koni fronts and backs on from ultimaterv.com and handling and control is much improved. The ride in some ways is barely stiffer but almost no porpoising, less body roll, better cornering and I feel more in control of the coach overall which I much prefer to the “floating boat” feeling I usually had with the stockers. I would do it again.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:17 PM   #19
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Well, got koni fronts and backs on from ultimaterv.com and handling and control is much improved. The ride in some ways is barely stiffer but almost no porpoising, less body roll, better cornering and I feel more in control of the coach overall which I much prefer to the “floating boat” feeling I usually had with the stockers. I would do it again.
Cool. Glad you too are happy. I hate to recommend something to have the recipient be disappointed...

Tags
shocks