Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

First thing - don't try to phone them - the operator will shunt you to their automated dealer locator. Send an email - it worked!

Got a call from Al at A&E awning (Dometic) in response to my pleading email about the quirks of my A&E WeatherPRO.

I asked if the lower arms should be cocked a little or straight when the awning is deployed. Answer: they must be a little cocked for the awning to function normally. If yours are straight, then you have a problem (remember we are only talking about the WeatherPRO automatic model here.)

Complained about the awning not dumping rain as advertised. Answer: on a large awning it will NOT dump all the water. To help the awning 'kneel' and dump, spray a little silicon or teflon lubricant where the spring action is located on the lower rear arm.

Complained about the wind sensor being inconsistant - sometimes it would roll up in a 5 mph breeze and not roll up in a gale. Al said that they have found that full sun and hot conditions will sometimes cause the sensor to be inaccurate. He said the sensor consists of two thermistors (little semiconductor devices that change their resistance depending on their temperature), one is heated, one is not. Apparently the wind cools one of the thermistors and the circuit compares the two values and decides how hard the wind is blowing. They have a kit consisting of a disk that mounts on top of the wind sensor to insulate/limit the sensor's reaction to full/hot sun.

He is also sending instructions on how to option the electronics to change the wind speed that activitates the awning closure. The awning is set to roll up at 12-15 mph. It can be optioned to go +3,+6 or -3, -6 mph.

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

First thing - don't try to phone them - the operator will shunt you to their automated dealer locator. Send an email - it worked!

Got a call from Al at A&E awning (Dometic) in response to my pleading email about the quirks of my A&E WeatherPRO.

I asked if the lower arms should be cocked a little or straight when the awning is deployed. Answer: they must be a little cocked for the awning to function normally. If yours are straight, then you have a problem (remember we are only talking about the WeatherPRO automatic model here.)

Complained about the awning not dumping rain as advertised. Answer: on a large awning it will NOT dump all the water. To help the awning 'kneel' and dump, spray a little silicon or teflon lubricant where the spring action is located on the lower rear arm.

Complained about the wind sensor being inconsistant - sometimes it would roll up in a 5 mph breeze and not roll up in a gale. Al said that they have found that full sun and hot conditions will sometimes cause the sensor to be inaccurate. He said the sensor consists of two thermistors (little semiconductor devices that change their resistance depending on their temperature), one is heated, one is not. Apparently the wind cools one of the thermistors and the circuit compares the two values and decides how hard the wind is blowing. They have a kit consisting of a disk that mounts on top of the wind sensor to insulate/limit the sensor's reaction to full/hot sun.

He is also sending instructions on how to option the electronics to change the wind speed that activitates the awning closure. The awning is set to roll up at 12-15 mph. It can be optioned to go +3,+6 or -3, -6 mph.

--John

Old 06-28-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

John,

Great information. Thanks for pursuing it. Please post the email address so I can request a kit.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Hi John,

Thanks for the info - I also have a skittery awning. Someone on the forum previously gave me the switch settings for modifying the wind speed sensitivity, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet. Please post what they send you. I'd like to compare to what I have. I wonder how effective that disk will be. Please let us know if it helps...thanks
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Rex - here's the [email protected] email for Dometic (A&E) support.

The kits are on backorder, but should be in shortly. When I get the option settings for changing the speed parameters, I will post. I'll let everybody know how effective the kit is. It will be a while since we will be on the silver bird a couple times in the next three weeks travelling. Won't get the coach out until end of July

--John

Old 06-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

John:

Admire your patience with the latest innovations in awning technology and hope you get it working to your expectations.

However, you have confirmed what a local dealer told me about the new automatic awnings...he won't refuse to order a coach with one but refuses to recommend them to customers since he has had so many customers dissatisfied with their performance.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:40 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have the weatherpro awning and I love it. I live in New Mexico where the wind just kicks up at a moment's notice. My awning does what it's supposed to do. I keep it out almost all the time. I never used my old awning because of the winds here. Now I don't worry about it.

Bella, Chisai & Keiki
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

John, like you and the rest had reservations about the Power awning. After replacing the wind sensor and box and many conversations with A&E mine is working as advertised. Its a great awning when it does what it is susposed to do.
Just remember it is for shade and when you have a rain and it doesn't dump all the water its your baby or so says A&E. There have been lots of posts about the awning and many upset RVers because of it malfunction. So when it works its very very good and when it fails it is horrid. Good miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:06 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Dometic - A&E Awning

On my unit, all were off except #3.

This is the info I have.

All off = 18mph wind setting

2 On = + 3mph wind setting
3 On = + 6mph wind setting
2 & 4 On = lowers 3mph wind setting
3 & 4 On = lowers 6mph wind setting

Helped some.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:33 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I am shocked to hear A&E told you the arm are suspose to be cocked alittle. With my Weather Pro Awning from A&E on my 2005 36RD Vector it was found that the awning came out straight over the slide out not allowing to to properly dump water. We found out thru service at Winnebago that some Motorhomes got out with the wrong size awning (to short in width). They ordered me a new one that was 96 inches wide vs 90 inches that I had. This allowed the awning to drop approx 12 inches lower and allow the awning arms to lock out so that when water weight is on the awning and it is pushing down, it forces the arm back toward the coach to dump water. Before with slightly bent arms many times it would get so heavy with water that the awning would collapse in the middle and come slamming back against the motorhome dumping water out both ends. I think who ever you talked to gave you the run-a-round because they replaced mine and it makes quite a difference and the awning arm not slides back in bracket as designed to do, where it did not before all the time.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well - I don't know what to say Ken. I have seen mine dump water with its cocked arm. The guy at A&E was quite emphatic about the slight bend being necessary. He said the tolerances on this particular awning are tighter due to the design and it must have the crook. I have no reason to doubt him. I also asked in an email Rex (LK23), who owns the identical model coach I have, if his arm was at a slight angle, and it is.

So, who's right and who's not??

--John

Old 06-29-2005, 01:33 PM   #12

I also had my canvas replaced at the factory due to short canvas. My arms were crooked more than just a bit. Winnie gave A&E the measurements of mine extended and they replaced the fabric. Now, however I think the canvas is to long as the arms go over center (the fabric has since streched) and the plastic caps have cracked. I can't tell you if it will dump or not as we haven't had any rain. Maybe I should turn the hose on it to see what happens. The rig is at the CAT house and will be there for a few more days.
Best regards...