Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Just got a quote for service from Freightliner, Gaffney, SC

I am going back to South Carolina next month and while I'm there, I'm going to attend the Camp Freightliner classes at the Gaffney plant. I called today to make an appointment for service while I'm there. They quoted me $1,460.00 ((approx) for a "group 3" service. That includes everything including transmission and generator. What do you guys think of that price...? Sound about right...?
Old 05-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What all do they plan on doing? I'm taking mine in for it's first service and the book has 2 1/2 pages of things to do.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

I've attached the Service Schedule for our coach, a 2007, but I think it's changed slightly for the newer Freightliner Custom Chassis coaches. So for Ramzfan, I'll assume he'll use the same schedule as mine but for Finhawk, it may vary just slightly?

The M3 is listed in the last column and is the 24,000 mile/24 months (and multiples thereof)

-harry
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner Service Schedule.pdf (54.7 KB, 252 views)
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

One thing I'd question is the need to drain and refill the transmission. They did that during my M3, but on my previous MH with the same tranny (different chassis) all that was called for was a filter change and it was good for 100K miles. Maybe it's necessary, but I'd ask.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Ck the transmission owners manual. I think you will find the appropriate recommendation. Had my M3 done on my 10 Tour in January...about same money ...traded for a 13 Tour 4 days later ...smart huh! I have found Gaffney Freightliner provides great service .
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

From my experience with our previous coach, whatever they charge it is less than what you will likely pay most everywhere else. And, they do it right.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

If you don't have Syntec transmission fluid in your Allison, have them do that while youare there. It will be the last time you change it, and if it's still like when I had M3 done on my 02 Horizon, at 22,000, they also extend the warranty on the transmission, by years. I understand all new Allisona, from a few years ago, come from the factoryt with synthetic ATF. If you have it, there will be a tag on the fill pipe indicating such.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Regarding the transmission fluid, the Gaffney Service Center will look up the requirements for your transmission based on serial number, model, and year. Some have a spin off filter that is changed, some internal filter but depending on the year/serial number it may not need to be changed. Most do not need the fluid changed at least until 48 months. Even then, an analysis may show it is not needed. But some with a smaller transmission may need the fluid changed. It is listed just in case it is needed. You don't list your year or model.
Regarding the price, I guarantee you will not beat the price or service than you will get at the Gaffney Service Center. Besides, you can also go get a tour of the plant and watch them make them. Enjoy Camp Freightliner with Mike Cody.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

As mentioned, you'd get the same service at a huge savings at an independent shop. When I had Freightliner quote a master cylinder replacement they quoted $2200 firm. I did it myself + a friend helping with the flush, in 2 hours. Part cost $534. And that was 5 years ago. Rates have increased since then. Every other thing I have heard them quote on it was the same story. Seems they really hit RV'ers hard.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
As mentioned, you'd get the same service at a huge savings at an independent shop. When I had Freightliner quote a master cylinder replacement they quoted $2200 firm. I did it myself + a friend helping with the flush, in 2 hours. Part cost $534. And that was 5 years ago. Rates have increased since then. Every other thing I have heard them quote on it was the same story. Seems they really hit RV'ers hard.
Jim, are you referring to Gaffney or some other factory authorized Freightliner shop? What you are saying is actually contradictory to what has been said.

I've never been to Gaffney but I'm assuming that they will beat the price for M3 or any other service than what an independent shop would charge. Am I correct?

-harry
Old 05-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Sorry about that...I drive a 2006 Itasca Meridian 36g hauling a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Jim, are you referring to Gaffney or some other factory authorized Freightliner shop? What you are saying is actually contradictory to what has been said.

I've never been to Gaffney but I'm assuming that they will beat the price for M3 or any other service than what an independent shop would charge. Am I correct?

-harry
Sorry, I was talking about a shop in Arizona. I could drive there but don't remember the name of the town. This was just one of several FL shops around the country I've called for quotes from and every quote I got was easily beaten by independent shops. So often that I don't even get quotes from them anymore.

But don't assume. Call independent shops in your area and get quotes from them. I'd think you'll find much lower prices.

And check out both FL and any independent shop you find here: http://rvservicereviews.com/

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #13

Thanks, Jim. Yes, I agree, we have our maintenance services done at independent shops which are not affiliated with Freightliner. You're correct in that all the authorized Freightliner shops that I've either had work done at or received quotes from have been way over the same work or estimates that good independent shops charge. It's like the scenario of having a car serviced at a dealership as opposed to an independent shop. I will not use a dealership to have my cars serviced but many I know routinely take their cars to the dealership under the assumption that a dealership knows more about that particular car as they are working with them daily. That holds some merit but not enough for me to take them there because of the horrendous prices they charge. So I also apply that to Freightliner dealers.

However, I've heard from more than one person, including those here on this thread, that Gaffney is the exception. The actual factory service center in Gaffney charges less than anywhere else for the same services. Like I say, I've never been there but hope to someday.

Thanks, again.

-harry
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The estimate I received from Gaffney for the 12 month/15,000 mile service on my coach was around $500. The estimate Winnebago gave me, a Freightliner Servce Center within the Winnebago Service facility, was $1500. I could not believe the difference, and I agree with all the statements about Gaffney's competence. My one experience with them was excellent, they really know these chassis's.

If you are in their area, it is worth the trip!

Happy Travels,
Yoda2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

My DW just took a 13 week contract in Gaffney starting on May 20th. I plan on having the 6 month service check done while we are there. We also want to do the Camp Freightliner class. Won't be able to set anything up until we know her actual schedule.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hi Dan,
Good news you getting to go to Gaffney. First, make sure you are loaded like you normally use it. Second, get a six way weight done before your arrive (or ask them to do it). Ask them to adjust your tag based on the six-way weights. I think they now change the "gizmo" that adjusts your air bags for the tag. In my case they increased the air pressure in the tag air bags because I was so "light" on the front axle. Ever since my motorhome has been running like a dream. A totally different ride. It always ran straight but now it "hugs the road" and is "smooth as silk."
Also, be sure to go the Freightliner plant and get a tour of assembly line. You get to walk along all three lines and you will see how your chassis was built.
I hope you are able to get into the Camp Freightliner class. It was the best money I have every spent. I guarantee you will be satisfied with what you learn. Mike Cody does an excellent job and you will feel much better about "Knowing your chassis."
Good luck and keep us posted.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Dennis thanks for the heads up on the 6 way weighing. I had the coach weighed a couple of weeks ago, but they couldn't do the 6 way or even the tag separate. I was assuming FL could do the 6 way.

As of yesterday there are 3 classes my schedule will allow me to get into. I would like the DW to take the class also. She is pretty mechanically inclined & I figure if I ever need help with any maintenance she will at least have a basic idea whats going on.
Has anyone else taken their DW in to the class? If so how did that work out for her?
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

You might want to check the oil/filter change schedule for your Allison transmission. My series 3000 transmission has a 5 yr/48,000 mile change schedule. It uses Transynd synthetic trans fluid.

I had the trans service done at an Allison dealer, it cost me $450. I think FLs 24mo/24K mile service is overkill if you have synthetic trans oil.

I've had work done at Gaffney and they are tops. They know the chassis and I know the work was done right. Maybe they are not the cheapest around, but I have peace of mind knowing the tech working on my MH is very familiar with it instead of an independent shop that may not see many MH chassis on a regular basis.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

If you have not be sure and join the Freightliner Chassis Club for your 10% discount.

Don G
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #20
HHg

Camp Freightliner is booked up for the remainder of 2013. I will be there on October the 8th for my one year service. The price differences vary so greatly it is truly amazing. I had Austin Freightliner quote over 3k and Freightliner of San Antonio quote 2175.00 for labor, plus whatever the parts and fluids cost. I'm looking forward to going to Gaffney !!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freightliner, service