Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Talking Just finished waxing the roof

While on the roof this morning doing my semi-annual inspection of the roof to wall seals, I was happy to find only about 8" of polyurethane seal to be R&R'd. But after doing that I noticed that the ol' roof had lost her luster. I wondered how many folks actually get on their hands and knees and wax it after a good cleaning. I called Winnebago and spoke with Jay, a service advisor. I posed the question to him: "Should I wax it or not, and if so how often?" I was afraid I wasn't going to like the answer, and I didn't. "Yes" was his reply. It should be done annually with a good cleaner wax like Mother's or Meguiar's.

So up to the roof again I went. Removed and repaired the roof to wall section, then proceeded to wax the roof. 2 hours later, my buffer and I were done. I used Mother's cleaner wax. It did a good job. Be careful towards the end, she'll be slickery
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We had a beautiful weekend in our area weather wise, and I spent a good portion of it washing and waxing the roof with a buffer. But the tree sap was so thick on there, I'm hoping for some better gas mileage now.

But seriously, instead of being disgusted every time I have to go up there now, I'm really proud of the way it looks. And I've been up there a lot because I bought a Winegard Movin View dome dish off ebay, and I'm in the process of installing it, along with a new LCD TV in place of the old CRT.

So, yes a lot of hard work and yes, I'm probably the only one who will ever see it.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Greg

How much Mother's did it take? I found it in a 16oz bottle. But don't know how much to buy.

Dick
Old 09-18-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I used an old Hoover floor scrubber I picked up at a yard sale for the first cleaning, mopped on some PolyGlow and only have to hose it down occasionally to keep it clean and shiney. Now it is a once a year deal to clean the roof up with mild soap and water touching up the PolyGlow using an applicator mop with no scrubbing or buffing.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Greg;

I always wax my roof yearly. I use Gel Gloss or Meguires which ever is available. They both work well for me. The buffers work well except when I have to work around the fixtures on the roof and then it is all manual for me.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Just a question. I have never used Mother's. If doing the roof how would it work on the sides?
RDNesbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Good to see I am not the only detail guy out there. In regards to the Mother's cleaner wax, it took less than a half of bottle to do the top. Just so happens that it also works well on the coach. I found where I do not have body paint, oxidation happens much quicker. Compartment doors and such are like new, the white Gel coat needs more attention but I think the Mother's does a good job. I wax the exterior every six months with it. In between wax jobs I touch up with protect-all. A good cleaner with a touch of Carnuba wax. I am exhausted when done waxing, but it is a labor of love!
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Yeah, I done my roof couple times. My big concern is possible damage from the

weight. I'm not a big guy, 6' 1'' about 190 lbs. Don't want to do more damage

than good, though. I feel sure there are some limits on weight.

rmwaggy
03 33v Adventurer W22 WH chassis
08 HHR -- Brake Pro
rmwaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I love Mequires and Mothers but I discovered something that will make your job much, much easier and get the job done. Eagle One makes a product called "Nano Wax Spray". Comes in Blue spray bottle and it does a fantastic job on the roof. I did the whole roof in 1 hour. Spray it on and wipe it off. Two caveats: if your roof is really in bad shape I would not recommend this product. It is just for those roofs that still have some gloss. Secondly, it will not hold up as long as Mequires or Mothers but hey, I do it twice a year and it works for me. You can use it in the sun as well. I do use it on the sides just the roof. I use Mequires on the rest of the coach. Just an FYI
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Glad to hear I am not the only one that waxes the roof have been doing it once a year since the coach was new in 2003 I use Nu-Finish, the one added advantage you get looking after the roof is a lot less black streaks
bgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via AIM to ixstitchtwo
Which wax is the best for the full body painted coach and what type of buffer are you using on the roof.
ixstitchtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

NeilV How many coats of PoliGlow did you apply on the roof. I have my coach completed on all 4 sides and the roof is next. 4 coats on the sides did a great job.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixstitchtwo View Post
Which wax is the best for the full body painted coach and what type of buffer are you using on the roof.
I've been using RejeX for about 4 years now on the full body paint, rubber, Alcoa rims, windshield, and on the 3M mask on front. It's nearly 6 yrs old and folks in rv parks think it's brand new. I've been fulltiming for 2 yrs and put it on once a year .... it still holds up well.

Their website: RejeX®: So Slick, Bugs Can't Stick!

What convinced me it lasted so much longer was when I first used on my polished aluminum wheels.. I was using Gel Gloss on the body and on the wheels after I polished them up. But with Gel Gloss, they would start hazing over after 3-4 weeks. When I used RejeX it didn't start hazing for 6 months. So then I started using it on the whole coach.

On the roof, I use 303 Protectant to clean and seal twice a year. Ya, the roof is very slippery after you shine it up!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

What kind of roof r u waxing? I didn't know RV rooves should ever be waxed, and isn't that dangerous for servicing?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
What kind of roof r u waxing? I didn't know RV rooves should ever be waxed, and isn't that dangerous for servicing?
All Winnebago's are one piece fiberglass. I always wear tennis shoes that get a pretty good grip.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I have a fiberglass roof and it gets waxed at least once a year. If I have the time, I will do my normal wax at the end of the year in anticipation of Winter and then I will do it again in the Spring. I use the Gel Gloss product that you can get from Camping World. Initially when I bought the MH, the roof had not been done in about 4 years -- the first year was the hardest to get it really clean. Since then, it has not been as bad to do. I use a hand held buffer to polish out the finish when I am done. Does a real good job -- you can stand, hold on to the cord and let the buffer move around doing its job.

Oh someone else mentioned his "size" --- I am 6' and weigh 230 lbs -- roof supports me well -- course I don't go jumping around on it.