Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Well, washed the rig today, including the roof. Then I put 303 Protectant on the entire roof, vent covers, skylight, King Dome. I had planned to wax or polish the roof but decided on the more easily applied 303. Anyway, I'm too old and fat to be a regular roof rat. I'm thinking this gets done annually at best. At least that's what my knees say.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Well, washed the rig today, including the roof. Then I put 303 Protectant on the entire roof, vent covers, skylight, King Dome. I had planned to wax or polish the roof but decided on the more easily applied 303. Anyway, I'm too old and fat to be a regular roof rat. I'm thinking this gets done annually at best. At least that's what my knees say.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Gary - it just keeps getting harder and harder as the joints keep getting worse and worse We had Blue Beacon truck wash do the rig on the way to Texas and one side was great, and one was badly water spotted. But you know what, it was a great wash job because I didn't do it

About 303 - I tried some of it on my truck's mirrors (the plastic housing) and I was sorely disappointed because my semi-black mirror turned into a semi-pastey white/black combination. I bought the 303 to use on the King-Dome so it could shed dew and rain.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Just yesterday I paid a young gentleman who came recommended by a buddy of mine to wash and wax the coach...
Two guys in a Ford E-350 van with all the tools of the trade....

BEST money I spent on cleaning supplies....THERES!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

John,
Sorry, but reread your 303 directions, you used too much. Simply reapplied and remove the excess. It works great on all mirrors/plastic/fiberglass/rubber----but notpaint!. Have used it for years with outstanding results.

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:59 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I took my old Winne in to a shop last week had the roof washed, and two coats of Elastomeric applyed about 3 gallons.
A new Maxxfan installed, a new show sky lite installed and the cap front to roof resealed with that Eternobond Alluminum tape and that Elastomeric sealed on top of the tape.
With labor parts and tax it run about $1100.00

Now applying some Protect-All on the sides myself, with my new tires and the things I am doing to it also shes starting to look pretty good!
Protect-All is good stuff too first time I have used it and its pretty easy to apply.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I know exactly what you are talking about. I washed and waxed my roof last fall. I used karate type wax..... wax on...... wax off. After I finished the roof and all for sides of the box I was tired. I think waxing a motor home is a once a year activity. Our motor home needs a good washing right now.

Our next scheduled outing is Memorial Day weekend scheduled to take our daughter, son-in-law and four grandkids to the coast. Our daughter, son-in-law, and some of the grandkids will be staying in a hotel while we will be staying at a nearby State Park. I know it will be great fun to watch the grandkids flying kites but I need a camping fix long before the end on May.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Smlranger,
You have it all wrong, your knees won't get sore if you do like I do. I have two buffers, one to apply and one to buff. I sit on my butt and start at the front cap and slide all the way to the rear cap. It is a two hour job once a year with Mother's liquid in the red bottle. It does look good when I finish though.