Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2022, 11:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey water leak upper cabinet

I have a 2009 Journey 39Z that developed a water leak over the driver side couch closest to the dining table. I opened up the upper cabinet and found there's a black box on the ceiling. It did rain for about 3hrs this am but didn't see the leak until after 9PM this evening. The slide is out also and the awning is 6 months old

Thank you in advance
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:53 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I could be wrong but that black box holds the motor and gears to lock the slide in. If your 09 is like my 07 on the dash you have a button to extend slide and lock slide.

As for water leak was it wet in the cabinet that holes the black box.
As water leaks are hard to find (in my opinion) I would start looking at the top of the slide. Even though you have an awning over the slide water will come in.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Yes, likely a roof, slide or slide seal issue more than anything else. Many times water gets in in one place and travels unseen until it emerges somewhere else hours later. So, your leak may not be where you see the result of the leak.

Time to check the roof and all the external items that have sealant around them.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

That was pretty much what I was thinking the water was coming from within the lack box and I was assuming it was a water leak at the slide somewhere. At first I thought the roof where it is at the edge the slide is extended. I have to go up there and look.

Thank you
Old 12-29-2022, 11:40 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Think I am on the right track. The seam that is above the slide awning meets with the roof side seam. It's almost like a little gutter. Most of that seam is cracked. So that is probably getting in the awning lock box in the cabinet and leaking down into the lock box and then into the coach. I will run a bead of calk and do both sides
Old 12-29-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post
The seam that is above the slide awning meets with the roof side seam. It's almost like a little gutter. Most of that seam is cracked.
STOP!
That seem is a gutter and that gutter and the sealant over it is what holds on your roof. You need to learn about this... it might as well be now.

The roof is one sheet of fiberglass reinforced plastic called Filon. There is no roof structure it only works as a lamination between your ceiling inside the coach, 4 to 6 inches of styrofoam, glued to a 1/8" thick Luan plywood, glued to the Filon. All glued up you have a pretty strong roof. There are no trusses or other roof structure.

After the Filon is glued on the Luan it is rolled over the edge and tucked into that gutter on the sides. It is not glued or screwed or locked into that gutter with anything but that caulking you see at top the gutter.

When that caulking cracks and breaks then the only thing keeping the Filon down is the glue under the main body of the roof. Unfortunately, all too often this glue fails.

When this happens the Filon can lift out of the gutter and blow off large chunks in the wind while driving. And when this happens... you have a $15,000 and higher roof replacement costs.

Winnebago requires owners to check this roof/gutter sealant twice a year. And if found loose you must clean it all out and inject new sealant deep into the gutter channel.

Here's what you need to know and do:

Old 12-29-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
Site Team

One more bit of bad news.... this is not your water leak. Nothing from that side gutter/sealant can leak water into your coach. You have not found your water leak. At least not based upon your description.

And, from what others have said about the same motorhome - that black box doesn't penetrate your roof it's just mounted to the slide room ceiling. So, it sounds like that is also not your leak.

Sounds like more investigation is needed to find the true culprit for the leak.

As to the seriousness of that roof tucked into the gutter issue? We've had plenty of members here and on other forums report that their roof ripped off while driving in high winds.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Sir and sorry if I didn't explain myself better. I have owned an auto facility and custom shop for 35vyears plus. I was a L1 Master tech also. My side gig was buying and rehabbing a few houses in the past. I am now 63 and just getting over a quad by-pass so it has limited my ability to do some of my own work.

So I do understand how the one-piece roof is made on the Journey actually this is my 6th RV so I have been put through a few repair jobs on these wonderful RV's. I truly do appreciate your input one never knows what one person knows. It now appears the water is coming in on through the awning slide lock box

Keep our fingers crossed I'm not chasing my tail. The gutters will need to be done no matter what !!

Keep the faith

Jeff
Old 01-04-2023, 04:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2010 Journey and this past summer my slide cover tore partially off. While I was waiting for the new one to arrive, we had a massive rain storm and the same area leaked in my cabinet. While it was raining I was able to remove the black cover, saw the water seeping in through a rubber seal around the motor that controls the slide lock. I then went on the roof and noticed the divet or hull for the slide lock was full of water and therefore leaching into the motorhome. A week later, my new slide cover arrived and I never had the problem again. It only leaked that one time and I was inside the coach while it was happening so I was able to manage the leak at the time. Best of luck
FreddyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollywoodGT View Post
Thank you Sir and sorry if I didn't explain myself better. I have owned an auto facility and custom shop for 35vyears plus. I was a L1 Master tech also. My side gig was buying and rehabbing a few houses in the past. I am now 63 and just getting over a quad by-pass so it has limited my ability to do some of my own work.

So I do understand how the one-piece roof is made on the Journey actually this is my 6th RV so I have been put through a few repair jobs on these wonderful RV's. I truly do appreciate your input one never knows what one person knows. It now appears the water is coming in on through the awning slide lock box

Keep our fingers crossed I'm not chasing my tail. The gutters will need to be done no matter what !!

Keep the faith

Jeff
I think you have a plugged drain hole for the slide lock. Go to the outside of the coach in the area of the black box. You should find a small fitting near the roof drip edge on the slide wall. Use a pipe cleaner and run it into the hole several times. Work it around till it in and out several times until you see water coming out. It will have junk in it from the bug that made a nest in there.
I you can't do this ask a neighbor for help. A 8' ladder is required to reach to drain hole.
Hope you get ti feeling better soon.
Rick
Old 01-04-2023, 05:02 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

FWIW, my MH has air horns, they are mounted to the roof on a metal sheet. I had a water leak around that metal sheet.
To seal everything, including the leak, I painted the metal and base of the air horns with White liquid FlexSeal. Now 8 years later the FlexSeal has not deteriorated any and still sealing tightly.
Be advised, it does contain petroleum distillates, so should not be used on "rubber" roof membranes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 05:49 PM   #12
Retired and Loving it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I think you have a plugged drain hole for the slide lock. Go to the outside of the coach in the area of the black box. You should find a small fitting near the roof drip edge on the slide wall. Use a pipe cleaner and run it into the hole several times. Work it around till it in and out several times until you see water coming out. It will have junk in it from the bug that made a nest in there.
I you can't do this ask a neighbor for help. A 8' ladder is required to reach to drain hole.
Hope you get ti feeling better soon.
Rick
Quite certain this is your problem. Generally a bug or leaf or some other debris gets in and you get the leak you’ve described.
Make it part of your regular maintenance to use pipe cleaner’s on the drain buttons (located on face of slide where the locks are)
I found longer pipe cleaners were very flimsy and I couldn’t get them in so I took a couple or 3, put the ends in a battery drill and spun them into one. Made it much easier to probe.
Good luck.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a 07 Tour with a total of three slide locks, and all three of them have leaked. The locking mechanism does penetrate the roof of the slide which is a terrible design in my mind. The locks should have been somewhere else, not the roof. As the previous couple people mentioned there are little weep holes for any water to drain out the side, but they can get plugged easily. Try cleaning them out as mentioned, and be very careful as the rubber tubing can be brittle and can break, causing a new spot to leak.

In my case, the previous owner tried to fix the leaks themselves and made a bigger mess out of the situation with some really bad repairs, resulting in damaging the locking components to the point they where inoperable. I ended up having to completely remove the slide locks and instead installed a sheet of aluminum and automotive sealant to cover the holes. Kind of a pain but I haven't had any leaking since then.

Good luck.
JimStreit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, leak, water, water leak