Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 08:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey Bedroom Headliner

So curious if anyone has had any issue with then vinyl head liner in their coach. I believe mine was a heat issue from a heat issue I had going out to Az. A turbo pipe was partial loose causing the bedroom to get pretty hot. I have a very small section over head of the bed about 10"off the wall is loose.

I want to fix it before I had home later this week. I use to do some repairs on car head liners with 3M spray adhesives, but was looking for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It is a common problem. The foam backing gets old and dries out from heat, then separates from the vinyl and Luan, that it is glued.

Go over to the iRV2 site and search. You will find many of us with the problem. I start my investigation and repairs this spring.

https://www.google.com/search?q=head...nnieowners.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=head...earch=irv2.com
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I went through the same problem in our 2009 Journey. I made a pattern board for thumbtacks out of cardboard. I then painted thumbtacks to match the headliner. With the pattern board I added thumbtacks is a precise pattern over the whole bedroom whether the were needed or not. Looks great and we really don't notice the change even when laying in bed looking up.
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:09 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitime View Post
I went through the same problem in our 2009 Journey. I made a pattern board for thumbtacks out of cardboard. I then painted thumbtacks to match the headliner. With the pattern board I added thumbtacks is a precise pattern over the whole bedroom whether the were needed or not. Looks great and we really don't notice the change even when laying in bed looking up.
Would you be so kind as to post some photos?
Old 01-23-2021, 08:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You can remove the plastic strips and the metal under them peel down headliner material scrape off foam from plywood and headliner material them re attatch directly to plywood with 3m super headliner adheasive i'am in the process now little mess but doable
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Would you be so kind as to post some photos?
I was only able to get some not so great photos because the motorhome is in storage and I am unable to put the slideouts out. Sorry

BTW, I installed the skylight where no skylight ever existed to add daylight and ventilation into the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3069.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	176954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3072.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	176955  

skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the photos. Looks great.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
It is a common problem. The foam backing gets old and dries out from heat, then separates from the vinyl and Luan, that it is glued.

Go over to the iRV2 site and search. You will find many of us with the problem. I start my investigation and repairs this spring.

https://www.google.com/search?q=head...nnieowners.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=head...earch=irv2.com
Funny I posted up about it in a FB forum and right away everyone is OMG you have a leak. I said take a good look at the material there is no stain and during a trip to AZ my Coach did like 3 Gen and was running hot do to a loose turbo pipe that eventually fell off. The bed roo was getting ungodly hot hence the ceiling coming loose. Thanks for your input
Old 02-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

pictures of repair
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0072 (1).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	177531   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0077 (1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	177532  

Name:	DSC_0084 (1).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	177533   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0098.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	177534  

Old 02-27-2021, 09:35 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

more pictures
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0076 (1).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	177535   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0086 (1).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	177536  

Name:	DSC_0078 (1).jpg
Views:	94
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	177537   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0098.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	177538  

Old 02-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Well I guess now if I wanted to put a ceiling fan in now would be the time. Weather is breaking today and the next 3-4 days. So I'm dedicating the time to fix all the little chit on the motorhome. I have used the 3m spray glue before in my days working on headliners etc. Thank you all for so much info and picture especially
Old 02-27-2021, 10:39 AM   #12
2006 Itasca Meridian 39K

Cataska, how do you remove the plastic strips, I'm concerned about breaking them. Also, do you plan on attaching the old headliner material with any backing? Thanks
Wingchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Plastic strip you can get a pick tool under 1 edge and slide down the plastic and pulling gently once you get one end loose it will come off easier but keep sliding pick tool as you go if there old they be a little brittle i cracked them but not to the point of unusable once you get it started just go slow helps to have a extra hand to keep it from sagging and breaking as far as reattaching the vynal i just glued it directly to the ply wood ,not as cushy as original with foam but hardly noticeable on a side note the black foam is really sticky and get every where try to keep it cleaned up as you go i used 3M super headliner adheasive # 08090 black can stuck pretty good ebay /amazion
Old 02-28-2021, 06:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Use a heat gun , on low or maybe a hair dryed to warm the plastic .
It will come off easy
Or - you will have a hard time , and may crack them
Journey cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

On the strip holding the panel in? I believe on mine the rear closet holds up part. Now will the other panel start to fall. I was going to shim that panel up anyway. I’ve got a good heat gun
Old 02-28-2021, 09:38 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingchop View Post
Cataska, how do you remove the plastic strips, I'm concerned about breaking them. Also, do you plan on attaching the old headliner material with any backing? Thanks
If I’m doing it for sure I will put new foam down and then reflux the material to it. Why do it half ass my MH is in great shape want to keep it that way
Old 02-28-2021, 11:42 PM   #17

Someone said they used 3m super headliner adhesive, but I found all the 3M products melted the OEM foam. And the only stuff that did not melt my vintage 2004 foam was the Loctite #300 Heavy Duty Spay Cement I bought at Walmart.

I also had spray heavily, but I was trying to reuse my old vinyl. So maybe you guy are using new vinyl and new foam. Can you elaborate on this and if you bought new vinyl where did you get it?

Also, I had trouble aligning and regluing my old vinyl and you also have to be careful not to stretch it.

I used a rolled up towel to smooth it out, but the results shown above look better than my fix. So any application tips would be much appreciated.

These are $1,500/panel to repair at Winnebago and that seem very excessive for a 2-4 hour job/panel. So please let us know how much time you put in the job, and I took my time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170712_184115.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	177570  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I agree with journey cat heat gun would help,As for puting up new foam good luck with that let us know how it goes seems you cant even remove plastic or vynal from under closett and you call my work half assed thanks.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:41 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataska View Post
I agree with journey cat heat gun would help,As for puting up new foam good luck with that let us know how it goes seems you cant even remove plastic or vynal from under closett and you call my work half assed thanks.
I'm sorry shouldn't of put it that way. My shop does custom work and a customer might call uis out on something like that. The foam hides the imperfection of the wood and gives it that pillow look.

In the day when we did add on vinyl tops we would use a green 3M and sprap the roof. Then let it tack up and then add the foam. We would trace around that and ten that would get sprayed and the top would go on that. So its a similar situation. I was just uncertain about the removal of the panels and how thet were connected. I was concerned if I pull one down would the next start to come down.

Once again I apoligize for my comment and appreciate your input and images
Old 03-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
Someone said they used 3m super headliner adhesive, but I found all the 3M products melted the OEM foam. And the only stuff that did not melt my vintage 2004 foam was the Loctite #300 Heavy Duty Spay Cement I bought at Walmart.

I also had spray heavily, but I was trying to reuse my old vinyl. So maybe you guy are using new vinyl and new foam. Can you elaborate on this and if you bought new vinyl where did you get it?

Also, I had trouble aligning and regluing my old vinyl and you also have to be careful not to stretch it.

I used a rolled up towel to smooth it out, but the results shown above look better than my fix. So any application tips would be much appreciated.

These are $1,500/panel to repair at Winnebago and that seem very excessive for a 2-4 hour job/panel. So please let us know how much time you put in the job, and I took my time!
You know you don't mined paying for good work. However in most cases the unit sits forever and then the work you get is of poor quality. Hard to find people that take pride in their work. I tried to call a place in Indian with decent reviews and a few recommendations. No one ansers the phone and they dont anser their emails ...so I passed

Tags
journey