Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Jacks drift down on 2004 Winnebago Sightseer

My jacks drift down while sitting or driving. I can go anywhere from 10 miles to 300 miles, you never know. The jacks drift down slightly and the alarm goes off. I have to pull over and cycle the jacks back up. Any ideas would be appreciated.
TruAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Is it all four jacks?
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

PJ

I believe that it is all four but not sure. I will check tonight and respond back then. Thanks
Old 09-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have one hat will drift down on rough roads, just hit the on button and the store button and it goes back up. Just do it on the fly.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Had the opposite problem. When parked for an extended period of time, jacks drifted up. It ended up being bad solenoids. Once I had them replaced so far no issues. However, the big test comes in Dec when we are in Florida for the winter.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Have the seals in the solenoids checked if they are rebuild able. If they are sealed units, then they would need to be replaced.

The jacks up is a single solenoid I believe on most systems. Contact the manufacturer for a spec sheet. If it's POwer gear (LCI) all the shop manuals can be found online.
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

What type of system do you have? Is it HWH, Lippert, or another brand? If it's HWH don't turn the system off after raising the jacks. Just let it time out and go into the "sleep" mode.

If the system is turned off the solenoids close and won't allow hydraulic oil to return to the reservoir. As the fluid warms from the heat of driving and heat transferred from the nearby engine and exhaust system it expands. If the solenoids are closed the only place it can flow to is the jacks. A jack or jacks only need to move 1/8" to come off the home sensor and activate the alarm.

If the system is allowed to go into the sleep mode the solenoids stay open and the fluid can flow back to the reservoir. If the jacks still go down when the system is in the sleep mode check for a hydraulic line running close to a heat source like the exhaust system, and reposition it if at all possible, or add some insulation around it if moving isn't possible.

Also if the system is left in the sleep mode you can push the "Store" button and the jacks will return to the home position.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Drifting JAcks

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. To start with my system is a KwiKee Level Best. I do not have a "store" mode that I can find. The directions say to retract the jacks using the "ALL UP" button. When retracted the light goes out and the pump stops. It says to then turn off the power switch and the vehicle is ready to travel.

Am I missing something?

Thank you all for your input.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Jacks drift down on 2004 Winnebago Sightseer

Same thing happened to my 2007 Sightseer. First thing I did was to make sure the hydraulic fluid was at the proper level. Do this when the jacks are retracted or you'll overflow the fluid when you retract them. It still gave a "false jacks down" warning, but I just turned the system on while driving and hit the all up button. Had to repeat the process a couple of times, but it is no longer giving a false warning. I think the jacks just had to be cycled through a few times in order for the new fluid to circulate totally.
dcamisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

You may already have these two attached items but if not you may want to download them. The emergency retraction harness did not come with my 2004 Sightseer and I bought it from Winnebago through Lichtsinn Motors a dealer close to the factory.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kwikee Level best manual.pdf (249.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: doc USE OF KWIKEE LEVEL BEST EMERGENCY RETRACTION HARNESS.doc (24.5 KB, 150 views)
Old 09-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcamisi View Post
Same thing happened to my 2007 Sightseer. First thing I did was to make sure the hydraulic fluid was at the proper level. Do this when the jacks are retracted or you'll overflow the fluid when you retract them. It still gave a "false jacks down" warning, but I just turned the system on while driving and hit the all up button. Had to repeat the process a couple of times, but it is no longer giving a false warning. I think the jacks just had to be cycled through a few times in order for the new fluid to circulate totally.
This is a very good point- it is also possible that you have air in the lines. Since pressure also keeps the jacks up, perhaps you need to bleed the lines, or cycle the jacks several times?
nukerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

On my 2004 Winnebago (hwh system) I frequently would get a jack down alarm when driving. That is normal as temperature changes apply pressure to the Jacks. When that happens just press store and the light and alarm goes off in a short amount of time. Some time when departing I just press the store button before I leave and leave it on and the alarm either never comes on or if it does goes off in just a few seconds. This is explained and covered in either the hwh manual or the Winnebago manual, can't remember which one.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Clay,
Thanks for the information. I looked at the first link but my unit is not the same. No auto mode and no individual control to each jack, only front two, back two, left two, right two. Anyway I will look at Kwikee website and see if I can find mine. By the way, it is only the front passenger side jack that is drifting. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
Is it all four jacks?
I found out that it is only the right front jack that is drifting so I assume it is a solenoid. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruAmerican View Post
Clay,
Thanks for the information. I looked at the first link but my unit is not the same. No auto mode and no individual control to each jack, only front two, back two, left two, right two. Anyway I will look at Kwikee website and see if I can find mine. By the way, it is only the front passenger side jack that is drifting. Thanks again.
Sounds like an HWH system.

Quote:
I found out that it is only the right front jack that is drifting so I assume it is a solenoid. Thanks.
You said sitting or driving. Is that only with engine running? Right front jack is near the engine. Seems that the right, passenger side, of the engine runs hotter than the driver's side. More cracked manifolds, busted studs and exhaust leaks. Obviously something to do with airflow, maybe the direction the fan spins. Anyway, as mentioned it could be heat from the engine causing the jack to go down. I had it happen once this summer while in Wy. Temps in the 90s cruising on the interstate. Pulled over, turned the system on and hit the store button. Only happened once and it was the right front as I recall.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

70ChevelleSS,
First of all I am a former 68 Chevelle SS owner. Loved it!!
Anyway, the right front jack drifts down in storage without the engine running. I have traced the pump and manifold to a Kwinkee unit. I will call Kwikee this morning to see about replacing the solenoid for that jack and see what they say.

Thanks,
Old 10-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Clay,
I think the info in the manual is almost the same for manual and auto models. Both models both lower or raise pairs only although there are four separate LEDs. If you look at the picture of the control pattern you will see that there are only four arrow buttons to push - one for each side, one for front and one for rear. My Sightseer was only manual mode.

The Kwikee web site was folded into the Power Gear web site which now appears to have been folded into the Lippert web site.

This is all I found on the Lippert site though: Lippert
Old 10-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
70ChevelleSS,
First of all I am a former 68 Chevelle SS owner. Loved it!!
Anyway, the right front jack drifts down in storage without the engine running. I have traced the pump and manifold to a Kwinkee unit. I will call Kwikee this morning to see about replacing the solenoid for that jack and see what they say.

Thanks,
Sorry, I see you did mention earlier that it was a Kwikee system.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:30 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Jacks drift down

After contacting Kwikee (Lippert) they sent me the instructions to verify whether the jack is leaking or not. I ran the test and confirmed that the right front jack is blowing by the piston (bad seals). Now trying to find someone to fix it as you have to raise the motorhome to repair and I am not really comfortable putting it on jacks and getting under to work.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. See you on the road (I hope).
Old 10-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

Jacks drift down

Could you please share the instructions to verify if a jack is leaking?
dcamisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drifting down, jacks