Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Jacks down warning light

I have a 2001 Adventurer 32v. I just took it for a ride yesterday to check it out after being in winter storage. When I was almost home, the jacks down warning light came on. I have not put the jacks down yet this spring. They were up all winter. I stopped and checked the system first by turning on the system (HWH) and hit the store button. When I first turned it on, one off the right side lights was on. It went out shortly. I checked the jacks and all were up. The warning was not on when I started, just at the very end. This is a concern to me at this point. I'm certain three were all up when I left. Just a light issue? Can they deploy on their own?
Old 06-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If your jacks are hydraulic, check your oil level. Mine will light up and sound an alarm, if the level is low.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I have a '99 with hyd. jacks, when we were getting ready to come home first trip out the light and alarm would not go away so after,(like you) I checked to be sure they were up, I drove 400 miles with the noise and panic.
After reading this fourm I finnaly found the reservoir and with a turkey baster I topped it off.
No problems now.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

On our Ultimate the light comes on when it dam well feels like it;; Had it checked replaced the scensor. it is ok for a while hen it comes back on;; I just hit the store/travel mode while driving. And it will go out;;;; It is not because the jacks are down. It just looses pressure or some thing like that..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

There is a good explanation for that phenomenon, can't remember exactly what it is, but it's related to a slight pressure build up due to temperature which will push a jack down just enough to cause the light to come on. It happened to me twice, fortunately it was shortly after reading about it, so there was no panic when it happened at 62 MPH on the freeway, I just hit the store button while driving and the light went off.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #6
KIX
Winnebago Master

If you have HWH jack system you probably are in need of new retraction springs. The newer springs have the coils tapered on the ends of the spring. The older springs are not tapered.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

On our previous 2000 Adventurer this happened whenever we started or retracted cold and drove. After the chassis warmed up the alarm would sound. Pulled over and retracted jacks. Seemed to have to do this only once per incident. Agree that it is from warming of oil in leveler.
nsdienes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
There is a good explanation for that phenomenon, can't remember exactly what it is, but it's related to a slight pressure build up due to temperature which will push a jack down just enough to cause the light to come on. It happened to me twice, fortunately it was shortly after reading about it, so there was no panic when it happened at 62 MPH on the freeway, I just hit the store button while driving and the light went off.
We've had the same experience on a couple occasions. Just turn the system on, hit the store button and you're good to go. In many cases the pressure increase and slight deployment of the jack is due to a hydraulic line being heated where it runs close to the engine or exhaust system.

The HWH people recommend letting the system shut itself off when raising the jacks. Then the return port to the tank is left open so the expanding fluid will return to the tank
Old 06-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

This has happened on our coach....after a few incidents I called HWH and told them what was happening,,,,I would bring up the jack and the alarm would quit,,,,but was told by the factory that after bringiing the jacks up,,,to let the system recycle...this takes bout 7 minutes on this rig....every since I started letting the system cut off on its own,,,Ive not had that problem anymore..

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdogs...this has been my experience. Let the system complete the store recycle by itself rather than cut it off. No problems in a couple of years now.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check the fluid level in the system and run them down and back up again. It's good to know that it has happened to others as well with no adverse effects. It was kinda weird to have that happen while driving. I'll know better if it happens again. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
doc
Winnebago Owner

Hikerdogs...this has been my experience. Let the system complete the store recycle by itself rather than cut it off. No problems in a couple of years now.

Yep~~ Been there and had the alarm scare the heck out of me.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote