Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Lightbulb Itasca Horizon Dashboard Modification

We have a 2003 Itasca Horizon that we just love. The main objection has been the lack of storage space on the dashboard and, for me, the lack of a cupholder on the right hand side.

After looking it over and deciding how to go about this, I made a storage shelf that fits right on the dashboard and doesn't take up any additional space. After trying it out on a short trip, we couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

I've seen several years of Itasca's that have this same dash so I thought there might be some interest in a solution.

I'm including a picture of the finished (lacking finish, that is, that will come soon) improvement I've made. Also there is a link to several pics I took during the construction process.

I used MDF for the base and planed oak down to half inch for the dividers. The plan was to use the MDF temporarilly while I built this and replace it with oak for the finished product. Well, it's mostly covered with dividers so I guess I'll just keep it as is. Let me know if you have any questions.

Click here for pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/madrona...eat=directlink
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0263 (Large).JPG
Views:	209
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	24511  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Madrona,
Pretty darn handy craftsmanship there bud. Very nicely thought out. I've done a few miles of "Oak" work over the years too and it's nice to work with and, for the most part, still looks pretty good. I've built so many cabinets etc. out of it that I'm really tired of the look but, if and when you stain and or just simply put whatever sealer/coating/finish on it when you're done, it will look very nice.

About the only thing I might do if I were intending on "copying" your design, might be to cover the entire thing with a vinyl that would match the color of the dash so, to me, it would look more like it came that way. But, that's just me.

Now, since you appear to have the intuative thought for storage and orgainization, I thought you might be interested in what I did for the compartments. Take a look and see what you think.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Very nice work by both of you. Thanks for sharing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Agreed on both, thanks for the ideas.

Phil, my dash is similar... now you have me thinking. One thing I miss from my old gasser Class A was a pull-out table for the DW to sit the laptop on while navigating. Wonder if that could be added to your design, maybe a flip-up with a piano hinge across the top and a swingout brace underneath... hmmmm...

Fire Up, I've seen STORES that weren't organized that nicely!
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I especially loved the big pair of loppers to clear out any of those pesky tree limbs.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
<snip>
Phil, my dash is similar... now you have me thinking. One thing I miss from my old gasser Class A was a pull-out table for the DW to sit the laptop on while navigating. Wonder if that could be added to your design, maybe a flip-up with a piano hinge across the top and a swingout brace underneath... hmmmm...

<snip>
I considered that, but my wife just doesn't like having the laptop available while traveling. I know, I don't get it either! I'm sure something like that could be added. In my case, I would have attached a piece of plywood to the base of my unit using pullout slides. However, since I have this secured with only that one screw, you would probably need to hold against the base while pulling the "tray" out towards you. A swingout brace would be a good idea.

Something tells me you'll be working on this in the near future! Let's see pics when you're done!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Madrona,
Nice job on the dash! Great pictures to document how it was done. Might have to make something like it for our Meridian.

FIRE UP,
Great looking compartments on the RV. Bet the Fire Engine looked as awesome!!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Madrona,

Are you accepting orders ???

I love it!
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=firehog10;1269464]Madrona,
Nice job on the dash! Great pictures to document how it was done. Might have to make something like it for our Meridian.

<snip>QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by THutch View Post
Madrona,

Are you accepting orders ???

I love it!
Thank you both!

When I started out, I did intend to carefully fit the base and then trace it onto heavy paper. I thought I could send it out to those that are interested. I wouldn't want to make these, this one took awhile, but once you have the base the rest is pretty easy, just building boxes.

But, as you may be able to see in some of the pics, there is a place or two that doesn't fit "perfectly." Where the coffee cup holder meets the dash right in front, it doesn't! About a quarter inch gap, there. I just tell myself that is where the cord from the GPS goes, and it does, but like I say, it's not perfect.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Very nice work. I like but our dog would not like it.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

WOW that is great Phil! You are so great with wood.............I have known Phil for many years and have had the pleasure of seeing his handy work in person - in fact he turned a beautiful bowl for me!!!!

Now I want one of those......
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohapi View Post
WOW that is great Phil! You are so great with wood.............I have known Phil for many years and have had the pleasure of seeing his handy work in person - in fact he turned a beautiful bowl for me!!!!

Now I want one of those......
Blush!

You don't need one with your Monaco!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We need something for all the electronic devices though. Hunter has that thing he calls a leash for work on 24/7 and then there is our personal cell phones. I think I want him to buid something with a tray on it so I can use either the laptop or Ipad while traveling. I would really like that.

Can't wait to see it in person.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrona View Post
We have a 2003 Itasca Horizon that we just love. The main objection has been the lack of storage space on the dashboard and, for me, the lack of a cupholder on the right hand side.

After looking it over and deciding how to go about this, I made a storage shelf that fits right on the dashboard and doesn't take up any additional space. After trying it out on a short trip, we couldn't be happier with how it turned out.

I've seen several years of Itasca's that have this same dash so I thought there might be some interest in a solution.

I'm including a picture of the finished (lacking finish, that is, that will come soon) improvement I've made. Also there is a link to several pics I took during the construction process.

I used MDF for the base and planed oak down to half inch for the dividers. The plan was to use the MDF temporarilly while I built this and replace it with oak for the finished product. Well, it's mostly covered with dividers so I guess I'll just keep it as is. Let me know if you have any questions.

Click here for pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/madrona...eat=directlink
Very nice work
Todd
Demco KarKaddy 460SS
Maddawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca