Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca 'crabbing'

Vehicle is an '01 Itasca on a Ford F53 gasser chassis. Noticed a week or 2 ago after following the wife driving it that the body seems to not be on the frame squarely. The unit drives straight down the road, but the body is a few degrees off dead straight. It appears that the body is not square on the frame. I know this occurs on cars occasionally, but I never saw it on a coach. I had the alignment dude measure all the tire to tire dimensions front to rear and across the diagonals, and he says they were all within a quarter inch of perfect. This would appear to say the frame is OK.
Anyone ever seen this? Anyone ever fix it?
nbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

i have never seen it and having seen how the body supports are welded to the frame I am surprised it is there. As I recall they use a laser alignment setup.
I would call Winnebago and ask them about it.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

If the body connections are good, there still might be a problem with the rear springs. There is a centering pin located in the saddles of the rear differential that keeps the springs centered. This pin could have broken. It may not show itself with the MH sitting parked but the rear end might shift while driving down the road.....just a thought.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Had simiular situation, found the rear axle shifted. They replaced the "center pin"?, and a couple other parts. They did an alignment also. Glad dw noticed while following to storage barn, really didn't notice while driving.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Have a 4-wheel thrust alignment done. The rear axle could be off by just a couple degrees, causing dog-tracking, where the rear of the coach follows in a slightly different track from the front. This can cause tires to scrub, and can cause a pull to one side or another.

Repair is to re-align the rear axle to the frame. Good heavy-duty truck shops who have the 4-wheel laser alignment can do the job.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Does your coach track with the rear end shifted toward the ditch (right). If so then you may have an issue like I had with the back end riding to the right about 4-6 in. A second alignment revealed too much tow out on the front tires. I think it was 2.5 deg out beyond spec. So the dog tracking problem was on roads with a larger crown and less on flatter freeways, but I was always steering to the left to keep the rig going straight to compensate for the slope to the right. After the toe-in/out alignment correction, it travels quite straight. You will see a little dog-tracking with a more severe crown in the road.

If your rig is dog tracking with the rear end shifted to the left, then you don't have an issue like mine.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Going through the records from the PO, I see that in the first year the dealer had to realign the rear axle of my rig for a similar problem.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Happened to my parents Foretravel, but only under high power climbing a grade. Never did find out what caused it and it still ran fine till the day they sold it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca