Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Itasca 27N/Schwintek Slide Question

Hello

My wife and I like just about everything in the 27n model except the Schwintek slide system. This unit has three slides, one is a full wall.
I am greatly concerned about the slide system malfunctioning and I am now undecided if I should purchase or not.
I have spoken to an RV technician who has nothing to win/lose by my purchase. He recommended against buying the unit unless the slides had been upgraded. He said that the upgraded slides will have two track bars at the top of the slide, instead of one.
Since I do not have easy access to inspect a new unit, can anyone tell me if the new units are upgraded?
Would you buy one without the upgrade?
Thank you for any assistance/advice.
Bill
superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Just took a quick look at a for sale ad to see if the full wall slide on that floor plan had the 2 or 3 track Schwintek slide drive...it looks like it's only the 2 track.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Itasca.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	94002
Photo credit:
New 2016 Itasca Sunstar LX 27N Motor Home Class A at Lichtsinn Motors Forest City Iowa Lichtsinn Motors

I cannot offer a recommendation to buy or not...but can report that Winnie appears to be using the 2 Track for the FWS in this model.

I have been watching this equipment evolution with interest, because these slide drives are NOT going away (thanks to big cost and weight savings).
In-Wall® Slide-Out

IMHO - ALL the builders should learn from the 2013-2014 Palazzo fiasco with the 2 track Schwintek Slide Drive failures. The issue is that these LARGE slides are VERY heavy and the size alone increases the torque placed on the drive systems because of leverage too.

Having said this, the Full Wall Slide on this floor plan is not as deep as the other 2 slides...BUT that is still A LOT of weight with the entire kitchen being on that slide box.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
[SIGPIC]https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif[/SIGPIC]
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2013 27N and so far have had not issues with any of the slides. The large slide is not as large as some of the full wall slides in the big Diesel Pusher....

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

superlucky, There have been several upgrades to the Schwintek slide system mostly with changing the gear box ratio and motor Torque. There is a new design on some of the longer slides where the rail is offset from the slide wall and only fasten at the ends, the motor and gear box look the same. I have not seen any Winnebago's with 2 track bars at the top. Winnebago is using the Powergear under floor rail system on the deep slides. The shorter shallow slides do not seam to have had the issues that showed up on the long deep slides. We have not had any problems with ours and we have been in some really cold and really hot weather.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2013 Vista 27N. I have not had a problem with any of the slides in two years and 10,000 miles. I was told to always level first and have the engine running when extending or retracting the slides. I also keep the gears lubed as shown in the Lippert YouTube video
Old 05-11-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I believe that at least on some models or configurations, Winnebago has already changed to the new Power Gear In-Wall slide system.

With the Schwintek system, as mentioned before, always have the coach level and have the engine running before extending or retracting the slides. Also, never stop the slide at any point. The side should be moved all the way out or all the way in every time. Hold the button down for 3-5 seconds after the slide has stopped. This allows the motors to calibrate. This is especially important with larger slides.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for all of the replies. I think I will get the unit, as long as it has the upgraded mechanism.

Look forward to seeing you on the road!

Bill
Old 05-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

superlucky, with the last 5 digits of the Winnebago serial number you can go online and get the service parts list for the coach. Will show all parts used to build the unit and the build date.
Service Parts List
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The Power Gear In-Wall Slide system is new, so there's no guarantee that it will be without problems. At least with the Schwintek system, it's been out there for a while and hopefully all the bugs have been worked out.
dezrtracr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Itasca 27N/Schwintek Slide Question

I have just left Forest City after being there for two days with my 30T with slide issues. Bought the coach new last August. All three slides needed work, with one having "broken parts". The technician said that "poor/incorrect installation during the assembly of the coach" was the problem. They seem to be working fine now but sure I was very disappointed that this was not caught during the QA process before the RV left the plant. Every person I met in the waiting room was having Schwintec slide issues. Let's hope Winnebago is now on top of this. It is real hard to build a reputation for quality and real easy to loose that reputation. The Lippert jacks also needed recalibration as they had never worked properly from day one, and so I would use them manually. This also seems to have been corrected, so hopefully my confidence in the Winne product will be restored. Eleven years and 85,000 miles on a new 2003 Sunova 27C with no problems had me sold on the Winne brand!

Pete
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the additional replies. I like the idea of seeing what parts are on the coach. I'll take the laptop when I go to look at the new units!

It is sad to hear that the folks at the factory were all there for slide issues. It was stories like this that gave me pause about purchasing the unit.

Thanks

Bill
Old 10-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hi, I have the 2018 Winnebago Sunstar LX 27N. I have had a problem with the slide out twice. The first time it would not go out. The second time it would not go in. Under warrantee I took it in the first time and they sync the system and to be sure allow plenty of time after closing the slide out, or opening the slide out. The second time I rushed it and the slide out would not close. I had both the engine and the generator running. That may have been a problem. I could not find the location of the Controller. Apparently I have the Controller Version 13398-C2. I believe that means that the controller on the driver's side controls both the from dinette slide and the rear wardrobe slide. But I could not locate them to go through the diagnostic procedure. I need my first run at solving the problem with the slide out about two inches from being fully out. I shut the engine off, and took an hour break. I then came back and tried again with just the gerator running, but the slide did not move. Next I started the engine, with the generator still running and tried to fully extend. No joy. But I held the button to extend for an additional ten seconds. When I next tried to close the slide it worked. I closed it all the way. Now I am a bit afraid to move it at all.

I would like to know where the controllers are located. La Messagings was very helpful and tried to find a 27N like mine, but with no luck. The 29N they found has the controller in a different location. If someone knows where the one, two or three controllers are located I would appreciate the information. Thanks everyone. This is a great place to find useful information.
W6LMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #13
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W6LMJ View Post
Hi, I have the 2018 Winnebago Sunstar LX 27N.

I would like to know where the controllers are located. La Messagings was very helpful and tried to find a 27N like mine, but with no luck. The 29N they found has the controller in a different location. If someone knows where the one, two or three controllers are located I would appreciate the information. Thanks everyone. This is a great place to find useful information.
Try downloading the user manual for your model. Also, try looking at the wiring diagrams that are online from Winnebago. A quick search in their site for your 27N didn't show much detail, but maybe this below will help. Apparently it's behind a panel that needs removed to see it. Good luck.

Also note, in my Vista I don't need the generator on to operate the slides. I only need the engine running with the emergency brake ON. Also, the house batteries must be charged and in good condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27 winnie.png
Views:	183
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	172361  
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I have a 2015 Vista 27N made in December 2014. The two driver's side slideouts operate great and the Swintek twin rail slide system operates them with no problems. Those 2 slides seem to be well within the capabilities of the Swintek system to handle without problems.

The long passenger side slideout seems to be at the very limit of what the system was designed to be able to handle from a length and weight perspective. So, a correct initial installation, correct operation, and the required recommended maintenance are CRITICAL for long term reliable operation.

- Always operate the long slide with the RV leveled such that it is twist free

- Always operate the long slide with the engine running so the slide system is getting 14 volt DC power

- Always operate the slide completely with the open or close motion and hold down the switch at least 5 seconds after the slide stops moving - this won't damage the controllers or motors it's part of the design to keep the two ends in alignment

- Lube the bearing blocks with the recommended PTFE lubricant so the blocks can move laterally so that each block's nylon roller can follow the "V" grooves in the slideout tracks so that the drive gears mesh correctly with the tracks so they don't damage the aluminum tracks or gears.

No one at the selling dealer emphasized any of these things when I took delivery of my RV. So I did not do them initially with my Vista. So - the OEM install on the passenger side slide started getting noisy when operated about 22 months after I purchased the unit new and started using it. I took it to the Winnebago Factory Service Center in Forest City before it failed on me. They confirmed there was a problem with wear on the tracks and gears. Repair is to replace at least the 4 gears, 4 blocks, side rails with motor-drive shaft-drive gears and the 4 tracks - cost about $ 1600 , for me it was covered by my extended warranty.

I have not had any problems in the past 2 years since then. I think the key is making sure that the recommended lubrication of the blocks is done. I try to do it so that it has done at least within 30-60 days of the long slide being used.

I now perform the lubricration of the blocks that have the rollers the tracks that can and must move in and out for the system to work correctly. The lube helps the blocks be able to move in and out keep the tracks "v" groove centered on the roller. This keeps the gears driven by the motors in the correct position so they and the tracks don't get damaged. So far so good. Two years in after the repair the slide still works great and is not noisy.

Finally, I did one more thing about 2 years ago. I made slide locks out of 2x4 material that I use next to the 2 front tracks to keep the slide securely in the closed position, and centered on the rear slide wall about the height of the counter above the drawers. On the long slide, the brakes in the Swintek motors were just not strong enough to hold the long slide securely shut.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by W6LMJ View Post
I would like to know where the controllers are located.
On a 2015 27N, there are 3 controllers, one for each Slide. They are in the first lockable forward compartment on the driver's side, they are under a removable metal cover plate on the forward facing wall.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:50 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

One final thought on the 27N long slide. The blocks only have so much movement capable in and out, I think that if one operates the slide with the RV in a "twist" situation where you are parked and have not gotten almost all twist out by leveling, that this can damage the gears and tracks on the long slide. The 27N long slide is about the worst case you could get for being effected by frame twist with the back wall of the slide located well behind the rear wheels .

Tags
slide, itasca