Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
doc
Winnebago Owner

We were camped this past weekend at Riverfork CG in Gainesville, Ga on Lake Lanier. Kept noticing a bumping sound as we would walk across the coach. Not loud, but lound enough to be aggravating. We had the levelers down on a concrete pad so it was pretty stable. Saturday evening I had had enough and started looking for the 'bump, bump'. Checked all the closet, cabinet and toilet doors...still there.
Figured it was in the basement storage. Outside and start opening doors. Compartment next to the propane tank sounded like where it was coming from, but could find nothing. Opened the compartment door that houses the propane tank and gave it a shove. There it was!! the bump was located. Tank would move about a quarter of an inch on the front end. Slid under the coach and found both bolts on the front tank mount missing. the other two were in place and still tight. Scared me to realize all the pressure was on the rear mounts and the two bolts. Had that thing dropped down and started skidding down the highway there might have been a spectacular event on the six o'clock news.
Home Depot first thing Sunday AM for two bolts and lock washers to secure them. Winnebago had a recall on the mounts being welded to the chassis rail and breaking loose, but the welds looked great and obviously held on at least one end.
A check around the rig every once in a while can yield big dividends.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
doc
Winnebago Owner

We were camped this past weekend at Riverfork CG in Gainesville, Ga on Lake Lanier. Kept noticing a bumping sound as we would walk across the coach. Not loud, but lound enough to be aggravating. We had the levelers down on a concrete pad so it was pretty stable. Saturday evening I had had enough and started looking for the 'bump, bump'. Checked all the closet, cabinet and toilet doors...still there.
Figured it was in the basement storage. Outside and start opening doors. Compartment next to the propane tank sounded like where it was coming from, but could find nothing. Opened the compartment door that houses the propane tank and gave it a shove. There it was!! the bump was located. Tank would move about a quarter of an inch on the front end. Slid under the coach and found both bolts on the front tank mount missing. the other two were in place and still tight. Scared me to realize all the pressure was on the rear mounts and the two bolts. Had that thing dropped down and started skidding down the highway there might have been a spectacular event on the six o'clock news.
Home Depot first thing Sunday AM for two bolts and lock washers to secure them. Winnebago had a recall on the mounts being welded to the chassis rail and breaking loose, but the welds looked great and obviously held on at least one end.
A check around the rig every once in a while can yield big dividends.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Wow! Glad you are not on the 6 o'clock news! Like an aircraft, maybe a 100 hour inspection is not a bad idea.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 01:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

The recall put straps all the way around the tank. You don't mention which coach you have but yours should have been fixed in my mind. I had a friend who had an 02 and it was fixed under warranty. Check with Winnie or your dealer. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:49 AM   #5
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Contact the factory. There is a recall to replace the mount with a cradle system that goes under the tank. Had it done to a 00' Journey I had last year.
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
doc
Winnebago Owner

i2go + RLS > Coach is a 2000 Itasca Horizon DP. We got the letter from Winnebago and contacted the selling dealer. John Bleakley RV in Douglasville, Ga is where we bought the coach, but we deal with their branch in Unadilla, Georgia to avoid the Atlanta traffic. The service manager had to have the serial number etc of the coach and said he would call us back as to when we needed to bring the coach in, as they had to order the parts specifically for each coach. Needless to say we have not gotten a phone call and frankly I have been remiss in not following up as to what happened. I have looked for an E-mail address for the Winnebago factory folks to let them know about the poor response we had from Winnebago dealer.
I suspect what happens is Winnebago pays them a set amount for the recall work and they can make more money doing other shop work. We have recommended these folks to a lot of buyers, but looks like those days are over.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Doc, stay on top of this. Make as many calls to the dealers service manager as it takes to get results. Under a recall any dealer can fix it , if they have a mind too. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:00 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Doc,

A agree that you have to stay on the dealer and ask the question of when the work will be done.

I had my dealer order the parts for me to do the recall myself (so I knew it would be done right) and I know I had to check on the mounting angles that hold the LP tank. They can be installed two different ways and make a difference in which LP cradle kit is sent. You also need to verify the distance between the LP fill port on the tank and the welded shroud before ordering the kit as if it is too small they have to send a narrower mounting strap.

If the dealer hasn't asked those questions.....he didn't order the parts.