Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Is there a flat metal coolant recovery tank for the 330 C-7 ?

I called Freightliner at Gaffney today and they say they only have the plastic one. $100 plus labor. I have done a search on all the ones folks have replaced but don't see anything about a flat metal one. Thx
Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Here is a thread about a metal overflow tank for Freightliner chassis with a Cummins engine

==> http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/metal-antifreeze-overflow-tanks-from-freightliner-143286.html

There is a part number in the thread
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
I called Freightliner at Gaffney today and they say they only have the plastic one. $100 plus labor. I have done a search on all the ones folks have replaced but don't see anything about a flat metal one. Thx
Well Sir,
As you most likely know, you're not alone in this endeavor. I see that your sig shows an '04 Journey. Ours is the '04 Itasca Horizon with the 330 CAT. I replaced mine about a year ago and we're the third owners. I have no idea if the first owner ever did anything on that but, I know the second one didn't. Ours was showing signs of stress cracks but, nothing was leaking anywhere on it. It probably could have lasted maybe, another year but, it sure wasn't worth chancing the possibility of it springing a leak, some place in the middle of the moon, at about 100 degrees outside.

So, I too went to our local Freightliner center here in San Diego and, it ended up being about, $131.00, out the door. A bit of a hit to say the least, for a plastic tank but, I did a search on here and other forums and, there was no such animal of a steel tank, at least back then there wasn't.

So, I paid the price, and did the labor of installing it myself. Without a doubt, it's a pain in the a$$ to replace. On mine, Freightliner used nuts and bolts for attaching to the various points. So, when you started removing them, some of the nuts fell into the "demilitarized zone" and were never to be recovered. Real smart Freightliner! So, in installed "Speed nuts". Waaaaaaay better. They clamp on the sheet metal and brackets and don't fall. Even with them in place, it was better but, marginally.

Anyway, that was about a year ago and, we've been on a few trips, in hot and cold weather etc. and, it looks as good as new still. Some of the boys here have actually made small covers that go over it so as to keep it out of the harm of the elements. Don't know if it helps or not but, may keep that $131.00 bill farther down the horizon, so to speak. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

reflective tape

I replaced my overflow tank 2 years ago ... it had cracked and coolant was spraying all over my toad. I had the tank replaced at the Freightliner shop in Salt Lake City.

I have read that the UV rays speeds up deterioration of the tanks. I also read that covering the overflow tank (and the hydraulic resevoir) with reflective heat / ventilation duct tape is helpful ... so I covered both of those with that tape ... I made a little lift up flap on the right side of the overflow tank so I can check the coolant level in the tank.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We do keep ours covered, maybe that is why it lasted 9 yrs. Still not leaking but not trusting it.
Beabop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

A good sheet metal shop should be able to fab one out of stainless steel that would last a long time.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Bea ...

I discovered that mine was leaking in the middle of Utah ... about 200 miles from a Freightliner shop that had a replacement tank on hand ... I called them ... they said to drive on in while monitoring the coolant level .... so I bought a gallon of coolant and continued to drive ... I added coolant twice.

There is a low coolant alarm on your Journey ... so the alarm will sound before you do any damage to your engine if that helps you.

Coolant is available at most (if not all) truck stops ... you want the red kind.

P.S. If this tank has lasted 9 years ... don't you think the next one will last another 9 years ...
Old 03-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Gaffney replaced the plastic surge tank on my 350 CAT in Dec with a metal tank.
Tank # VML T3495. Total cost $395.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBEEBOP View Post
Gaffney replaced the plastic surge tank on my 350 CAT in Dec with a metal tank.
Tank # VML T3495. Total cost $395.

BBBEEBOP,
Just curious, #1, do you have a side radiator in your rig? #2, Where did that replacment tank go? #3, Did you have a plastic tank to begin with?

You see, the reason I ask is, I googled that number you posted and, there's no way in he.. that, that tank will fit a large persentage of the CAT, rear radiator'd coaches out there. Ours are the low, slim-lined, flat plastic ones that fit between the top of the radiator and top of the engine/compartment ceiling. Not sure you know what mine and many others look like or not but, here's a pic of it.
Scott
Old 03-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
BBBEEBOP,
Just curious, #1, do you have a side radiator in your rig? #2, Where did that replacment tank go? #3, Did you have a plastic tank to begin with?

You see, the reason I ask is, I googled that number you posted and, there's no way in he.. that, that tank will fit a large persentage of the CAT, rear radiator'd coaches out there. Ours are the low, slim-lined, flat plastic ones that fit between the top of the radiator and top of the engine/compartment ceiling. Not sure you know what mine and many others look like or not but, here's a pic of it.

Thanks Scott...I was curious about the same thing.
Steve
Old 03-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about that did not know from the thread you were talking rear radiator, my C7 is a side radiator as you already know from the tank number I quoted. The original coolant tank was plastic, but was showing signs of cracking. So Gaffney put the metal one on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1012.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	35929  
Old 03-31-2013, 09:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I'm glad you got the new plastic replacement tank installed Scott. We're in the same boat and will be changing ours out before it goes south.

I'm just wondering if any of the steel/aluminum tanks would suffice and what importance the mounting location has regarding functionality.

Buying and replacing the OEM Freightliner plastic surge tank with a new one. Fabricating a rubber sun shield would be quick and probably cost less but I don't want to be doing it again in a few years down the road either. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Surge Tank 3.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	36048  
Attached Images

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
I'm glad you got the new plastic replacement tank installed Scott. We're in the same boat and will be changing ours out before it goes south.

I'm just wondering if any of the steel/aluminum tanks would suffice and what importance the mounting location has regarding functionality.

Buying and replacing the OEM Freightliner plastic surge tank with a new one. Fabricating a rubber sun shield would be quick and probably cost less but I don't want to be doing it again in a few years down the road either. Thoughts?
Mr Miyagi,
Well Sir, without a doubt, if one could get an exact replacement and have it fit, in all the brackets/mount points without any hassle/rearrangement etc, that's made of aluminum, that would be, in my opinion, an outstanding move. It would certainly be a more enduring tank. But, "resonance-vibration", that is, high frequency vibrations may or may not wreak havoc on the mounting tabs/brackets and cause cracking and or breakage. This is only an opinion of course.

While the plastic version is somewhat susceptible to the time/element issues and shows the usual stress/heat/age cracks, it's still more flexible than a steel of aluminum counterpart. But, I for one, would be willing to give an aluminum one a try.

Now, as for the importance of location, the level at which that tank is at may or may not play an important roll in which fluid/coolant is extracted during any part of the process, be-it heated and therefore pressure, or, the cooling side/suction process. Or, it could simply be that, that place was the best, most convenient place to mount it and, one could put it anywhere you want, within reason, and it would still function normally. Who knows?? Just kind of guessing here.
Scott
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Scott, an exact metal replacement would have to be custom made and probably be cost prohibited. I'm thinking we'll end up trying the updated plastic tank this time around and mount a rubber anti UV protective flap to try and get more life out of it.
After all our coach is a 9 year old with 70000 miles on her...

It's so brittle, all of the oil seems to be cooked out of the plastic and just feels like you can scratch a hole into the side with your fingernail...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130218_152916.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	36117  
Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank