Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Inverter/Charger Issues

I have a 2004 Ultimate Freedom that I'm having electrical issues with. Started with the automatic transfer switch, wouldn't switch to allow generator to power the coach and the fault LED was lit. So, changed the ATS with the exact same make/model. That works fine now as it will switch between shore power and generator, properly powering the coach. However, my house batteries are not charging now. The inverter/Charger is a Dimensions Unlimited (not sure of exact model) and the remote panel shows 'CHGR-OFF NO INPT INVERTER OFF'. I'm hoping there's a breaker/fuse somewhere between the ATS and inverter that's tripped/blown, but I can't find it. Anyone know where it might be located or have other ideas on what to check?
mbills8778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If the inverter/charger was OEM equipment then it probably is powered from an AC breaker in the main power panel. If added later it may have a dedicated breaker added very near that panel.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Team

That error CHGR-OFF NO INPT INVERTER OFF looks like the inverter's battery cables are not connected to the batteries OR the rotary disconnect is still in the OFF position.

When installing a new ATS the batteries had to be disconnected and this would include disconnecting the inverter/charger. So, perhaps it didn't get reconnected or reconnected correctly. Also, in most new Winnebagos there is a rotary disconnect between the inverter and the batteries. It could be that that's all it is. Someone forgot to turn it back on.

On my Adventurer the rotary disconnect (salesman's switch) is mounted adjacent to the inverter charger which is hanging upside down in a compartment directly opposite the battery compartment.

By the way, if it turns out to be a problem with the inverter you'll likely want to replace it - Dimensions was bought by Magnum quite awhile ago and they no longer support Dimensions products.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #4

This is just a guess... but when you replace your ATS your generator neutral wires need to be connected the same way when you put your new ATS box in.

Specifically, your Onan 7500/8000 inverter generator has 2 neutral wire. So I'm suggesting you may have these reversed (or opposite) and all you need to do is swap them.

Hopefully!

Keep us posted as to what works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 ATS-5070 With Lid Off.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	179757  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
That error CHGR-OFF NO INPT INVERTER OFF looks like the inverter's battery cables are not connected to the batteries OR the rotary disconnect is still in the OFF position.

When installing a new ATS the batteries had to be disconnected and this would include disconnecting the inverter/charger. So, perhaps it didn't get reconnected or reconnected correctly. Also, in most new Winnebago's there is a rotary disconnect between the inverter and the batteries. It could be that that's all it is. Someone forgot to turn it back on.

On my Adventurer the rotary disconnect (salesman's switch) is mounted adjacent to the inverter charger which is hanging upside down in a compartment directly opposite the battery compartment.

By the way, if it turns out to be a problem with the inverter you'll likely want to replace it - Dimensions was bought by Magnum quite awhile ago and they no longer support Dimensions products.
PS
Who cares if Senseta, who makes the Dimensions Inverters, was bought by Magnum. Dimensions is a far better inverter vs. Magnum -- and I have no plans to replace mine since it's doing a great job powering my residential refrigerator.

IMO, and in general, the best inverters are Low Frequency Inverters and they are the best, because they get the job done and don't cause fires... unlike cheaper High Frequency Inverters which I would never leave unattended.

Should you decide to go with a PSW inverter, which I will admit is desirable, you maybe better by goiong with a 5,000W high frequency type inverter vs. a 2,000W LF inverter. It's just a matter of cost vs. performance vs. safety.
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter