Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Intermittent Slide activation

We have a used 07 Adventurer that the slide system has started to hiccup on occasion.

Symptoms are when activating any of the three slide switches nothing happens. I can hear the solenoid click down at the pump unit, but the pump does not run and no movement from the slides.

It happens to all three slide switches randomly (in or out)and when one fails, they all fail. Tried it with shore power, without shore power, with engine running without, with gen running and without.

I'm thinking either a ground problem or a solenoid starting to fail. I did a quick check and could not find any loose wires or grounds, but I do need to get back under and do a thorough inspection of all connections.

We will be on the road for over 12 weeks this year and I want to carry some spare parts for the system. Any suggestions as to what I should buy to have as backup parts? It is a HWH system.

Also any other recommendations on things to check?
swreeder70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If not mistaken, power comes from chassis battery. Check the connections for corrosion and tightness. Our manual says engine should be running too..
Old 03-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Intermitent problems are very hard to correct.

I have generally found that loose or corroded connections are often the culprits. So I suggest you check connections on ignition switch, batteries, parking brake, solenoid, grounds (both near the battery and near the HWH pump.

Have you checked the voltage (at the battery) of the chassis battery when the slides fail to move?

We have an intermitent problem with the switch on our rear slide ... we have figured out a "work-around" so that we don't get stranded ... I hope that if you can't find the cause of your problem that you can at least find a work around for yours ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Have a similar problem with my 02 Ultimate. Bedroom slide works "when it wants to". Have traced the problem to a bad wire/connection between the switch and the solenoid. Works fine on the living room slide all the time. LR slide switch applies power to the same terminal on the same solenoid.

I suspect you have either (1) a bad ground lead on the solenoid, (2) the solenoid is going out, (3) the pump has a bad connection (12 volts or ground), or (4) the pump itself is going out.

On mine the slide switch has power to one lead and when you "flip" the switch it applies 12 volts to the solenoid which starts the pump. The other half of the switch controls the direction.

Suggest you get a meter and measure voltage on the on the solenoid terminal. Should be 12 volts on one side and zero on the other when the switch is in the in or out position. If you have a bad ground you will most likely see 12 volts on both sides of the solenoid or 12 on one side and something less on the other.

You will have to explore to find the appropriate solenoid. There are four on mine and the pump start solenoid is the one located on the inside of the hydraulic manifold closest to the bottom front of the coach.

Hope this helps,

Lenp
lenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I forgot to add corroded connectors ...

The rear marker lights quit working on my coach ... I could not find the problem ... a factory tech found a corroded connector where the Winnebago installed lights connected to the Freightliner power source ... they found it right away and replaced the connector ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If HWH system, does the pump work for the jacks? If so I would suspect slide solenoid.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

After some more troubleshooting, I may have found the culprit. There is a relay on the side of the pump. That relay is what starts the pump running.

The white grounding wire on the pump relay was not even finger tight. I got a socket on it and snugged it down good.

I would point out that I found a Winnebago HWH troubleshooting guide online at the HWH site that pointed right to the pump relay as the problem with the symptoms I had. It is a very useful document.

I won't declare a full victory until it works trouble free for a few weeks, but for now all seems good.
swreeder70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We had the same symptoms with our '05 Adventurer. It turned out to be the pump relay switch just as you have found out. Replaced the switch and also cleaned the road gunk off the connecting wires. That was two years ago and all has been well since then. Hope it will be the same for you.

Tags
slide