Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Interior woodgrain colors...

I am starting to accumulate a variety of items to get to work on the interior of my 2002 Sightseer. Luckily, removing that TV stand in the rear gave me pieces of laminate and plastic trim to use to source a stain for further woodwork. Too bad nothing in a can at the home stores seems to match...

There is a self-adhesive, faux wood trim on Amazon that is called 'Honey Cherry' and a purchaser says it matches his 2016 (model unspecified) perfectly. (I have never seen a 2016...)

Is there a list of the various stains Winnebago used on these wood trims? ..or, selfishly, has someone figured out a match for their 2002? Thanks.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headknocker1.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	171216  
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Brochure says the only wood "color" in the 2002 Sightseer was "Portsmouth Oak", same as my '04 Adventurer (I don't have the optional "Concert Cherry").

I've had luck getting close matches with stuff called "Honey Oak" or "Light Oak", either real wood, or printed stuff. Can't tell you a specific product though, sorry.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Tim. So far, my mismatches are Golden Oak and Golden Pecan from Minwax ...and 'Natural' from Varithane.

In a search of Portsmouth Oak - the color is not to be found ...but given the weather is no fun this time of year, I might follow this fellow's instructions.

https://blog.minwax.com/06/06/custom-mixing-stains/

Press on!

Jim
Old 03-01-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I think you're on the right track with the custom mixing link. And try not to be too picky. Natural wood varies from piece to piece so nothing is going to be perfectly uniform. And, in most cases there will be enough separation between the old and new that nobody (but perhaps you) will ever notice and/or care that there's a difference.

On the other hand, you might try calling Winnebago and asking them about matching stain.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Yeah, mix your own. I made some light bars and a table for our Sunstar. The Winnebago color is "forest cherry".

I bought a half pint can of Valspar "Traditional Cherry" and "Black Cherry" and mixed and tested on scrap until I was happy. FWIW, 5 parts Traditional to 1 part Black, tested on poplar for the lights, birch for the table.

DW approves, so it must be right...

Grandpa would have been proud.

Just record your experiments for the future.

SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

The interior of our 2016 Minnie Winnie is cherry and the closest stain I've found thus far is Varathane Traditional Cherry. Two coats on Poplar gets it very close the original color, but the next I make something I'm going to try three coats.
Old 03-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Most commercial cabinetry over the last 30 years or so has been shot with catalized finishes. Unless you go to a dedicated store like Woodworkers Source and have an HVLP sprayer you are not likely to exactly match the original finish. And still you would need a custom color match.

We have done quite a bit of cabinetry work in our rig. Our cabinetry color is Sierra Maple. Minwax Golden Pecan with two tablespoons of Minwax Red Mahogany comes close. It is a little light when first applied, but non-catalyzed finishes will UV darken over a couple of months. So the finish eases into the Goldilocks zone with a little time.

You'll just have to buy close and experiment from there. Jim's link is good stuff as a primer. (See what I did there?) And BobC is on the mark with natural shade variations in real wood. Stains and catalized finishes mute that. But, we used to say when I was selling cabinetry "Just the fingerprint of the Lord".

We use poplar for our projects. It is a strong, easy to work common furniture go to. It has a neutral grain that can be stained to look like cherry, maple, mahogany, etc. But not oak, ash or hickory. Biggest plus is that it is half the weight of those woods.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Lotsa good points... Bob, of course, a phone call was too easy for me to think of it; I tend to walk uphill backward. I have a variety of pieces of Oak including plywood. And you're right, depending on whether quarter or riff sawn, %s of heart or sap ..phase of the moon - "Your results will (not, may) vary."

I did find another brand of stain to try and will see if I can come up with a blend. And chart it like SLO. I suspect there are others who have the same question.

Terry, Poplar is wonderful. I trimmed out most of my first floor at home with it. You almost have to beg it to splinter or split. I only need a few pieces to finish and the clear grain would be too obvious.

The business was kind enough to buy HPLV gear, but I mostly use it for BC/CC. I got an auto paint supplier to match the 2002, faded-to-cream white so I can shoot the spots where I removed some of the vinyl on the rear flanks, the door surround and lots of now-mismatched metal panels-n-trim.

I don't think the unit is worth the effort/$ to clear it. I plan on doing the whole valance in another color - if not too much contrast, I may clear that for the protection aforded.

Jim

('Lotsa projects - Few miles' will be on my tombstone)
Old 03-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I pulled out an old Pantone ink fan and did not find much that would help.

The second picture is - 'Who'da guessed they would 'Mactac' Oak?' The 90deg edge molding is plastic. I guess it is a lot easier to get a match with another plastic. Perhaps upper-end models get another grade of finish.

My 27 is pretty-Ok given it is a fully equipped, motorized efficiency apartment w/o land taxes.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	704.6 KB
ID:	171217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim2.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	720.2 KB
ID:	171218  

Old 03-06-2019, 11:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Winnebago stocks this material to make replacement parts and could probably sell you cutoffs and such for your projects or a quart of the stain they use for the solid wood cabinet doors. Try calling them to see what they can do for you. They may surprise you and tell you of a MinWax or ValSpar stain that matches.

I was going to make an end panel for my upper galley cabinet myself since the previous owner had damaged it and the dealer had told me Portsmouth Oak was not available from Winnebago however I decided to call Winnebago and get it from the "Horses Mouth" as the expression goes and they assured me that they keep it in stock and would be happy to make up a complete panel for me. I told them about the dealer telling me that they could not honor their promise to provide the panel at no charge because Winnebago did not stock that material and a short while later after Winnebago contacted them about their error the dealer was ordering the panel for me at no charge.

Again call Winnebago and they may surprise you by providing the materials or a list of matching consumer products.

That said my 2001 Adventurer had a lot of other blemishes from sticky hooks that had been pulled off by the previous owner and some I covered with decorative wood scrolls and appliques which I stained with MinWax ???Maple as non of the Oaks were a good match for the Portsmouth Oak. It might have been Colonial Maple however I do not remember 100% which exact flavor of maple it was. I did not let it soak in and just gave it a quick light swipe and immediate wipe so it would not go to full darkness.

Here is the swatch MinWax has on their site for Colonial Maple 223:

See: https://www.minwax.com/wood-products...s-color-guide/
Old 03-07-2019, 06:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Well said, Neil. Thanks. I'll give them another jingle. The last time, I was looking for those fixed-shafts the pantograph arms for the wipers attach to – that keep the wipers vertical - Winnebago had not had them for a long time.

Somehow my company needed something remarkably similar. A machinist ordered some of the Hex stock for me and I should have a batch fairly soon. ...and, Colonial Maple looks like it needs to be added to the test rack. Cheers.

Jim
Old 03-08-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Stain matching

I have a 2005 Sightseer with the Portsmouth Oak, I used Minwax ipswich pine stain over poplar and it was pretty close
retireewanttobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

'Ipswich pine' ...I'll that to the list. Thanks, RWB.

Jim