Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2018, 11:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Interior LED Lights

I have a 2016 vista 30T. Two of the overhead lights have quit working. I have removed the covers but it appears that the LEDs are not removable. Can they be removed or do I need to replace the entire unit. If they can be removed, HOW?
Tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What type of ceiling fixtures are they? If they are the flat "disk" type that unscrew, the bulbs simply plug into the fixture with little prongs.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

led light have proven to be good lights. Maybe check the switch (s). They are a little on the cheep end of the scale.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

The other lights on the switch work so the switch is not the problem and they are on two different switches. I took the lights down out of the ceiling just now and they are a one piece unit, the LED is not removable. I am going to have to order two new units, they attach with wire nuts...Called the local dealer and they need the vin and model number to order them and they did not sound cheap, I will be checking with Amazon first. I had heard some of the lights were on recall but apparently not 2016 models...
Tradewinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewinds View Post
The other lights on the switch work so the switch is not the problem and they are on two different switches. I took the lights down out of the ceiling just now and they are a one piece unit, the LED is not removable. I am going to have to order two new units, they attach with wire nuts...Called the local dealer and they need the vin and model number to order them and they did not sound cheap, I will be checking with Amazon first. I had heard some of the lights were on recall but apparently not 2016 models...

Good idea to check Amazon. Also Ebay, PPL and even Camping World might have a suitable replacement.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

If they are similar to mine, I don't believe they are repairable.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Tradewinds
You might want to call Winnebago before you go to a dealer for parts. Winnebago uses ITC as a supplier for most lighting. I can't say for sure that it was 2016 but ITC produced a number of the ceiling lights around then that failed and were replaced under warranty by either ITC or Winnebago. Might save you $$ and Winn will be able to tell from your coach SN.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
Happy Camper

LED ceiling lights

Try "DREAM LIGHTING" for replacement of the round glass fixtures.
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I had a 2016 Sunstar 26HE until last year. I only recall removing one light under the galley cupboard, and it was sort of mounted like a smoke alarm cover, if I recall. It was loose, so I had a quick look before replacing it.
They looked more like a small circuit board with a couple of SMDs, than a bulb of any sort.
No problems with any of them in just under a year.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You need to replace the light fixture. Once you I screw and remove the glass cover, you can pull the light fixture out. There is another current thread about the bad LED lights.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #11

Yes, Lake, but most RV LEDs bought on the internet work great.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Larry, I agree. To clarify, I was just stating that the bulb itself, can't be removed from the fixture and the entire fixture (except glass cover) must be replaced. After replacing two with ones purchased on the Internet, I found out on this forum that the bad lights are a known problem to Winnebago. They provided me with ITC's contact info who sent me a free replacement after the third one failed. I have not had any issues with the replacement lights. Hope this helps.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 AM   #13
Happy Camper

Smile Interior Ceiling Lights

I removed the guts from the LED ceiling lights in the living room area and installed a automobile lamp socket with a "L" bracket that came with the socket and a two prong wire connector from the new socket and grounded the ground (or return - wire) on the fixture with the pop rivet I used to mount the bracket and feed line from the ceiling and installed a new LED with a automobile base on it. reinstalled the fixture and glass lens. I then purchased six new fixtures from "Dream Lighting website and replaced the four lights over the bed with the new light weight fixtures that have a switch on each light so you can adjust the amount of light you have and also won't break your nose if the glass cover falls off and hits you from the old fixture. Here is the website for Amazon that sells Dream Lighting fixtures that I used in my RV bedroom ceiling.

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Lighting...8115783&sr=8-3
fkempf216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
Larry, I agree. To clarify, I was just stating that the bulb itself, can't be removed from the fixture and the entire fixture (except glass cover) must be replaced. After replacing two with ones purchased on the Internet, I found out on this forum that the bad lights are a known problem to Winnebago. They provided me with ITC's contact info who sent me a free replacement after the third one failed. I have not had any issues with the replacement lights. Hope this helps.
Lakejumper

Glad to hear you got them replaced. Hope more don't fail but you know who to call.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Looking for advice on replacing LED ceiling lamps.

When I remove the screws attaching the lamp to the housing I can pull it down about three inches, but there is no exposed wire connector. So I assumed the housing must be removed to get to it. I removed the three outer screws and I cannot remove the fixture. Not wanting to do something I'll regret I thought I'd see if someone has experience with this before I destroy something.

Thanks,

Fred
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED_1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	173847  
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

The 3 screws you removed are the only fasteners holding it in. It is just press fit into the hole in the ceiling, it is OK if you pull on it harder. There are two wires that exit the back of the light that are connected to yellow (+) and white (-) Winnebago wiring harness wires. I have had to replace one of those in mine, and had another start to act up. I found that I could press on the round light board and get it to stop flickering, some of the LED chips stopped putting out light after I messed with it but it no longer flickers and still puts out enough light that I did not replace it.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Those look the same as on my Vista, I had to replace several last fall and this spring due to flickering. The vinyl from the ceiling was stuck to the light housing, holding them in place. If you gently wedge a finger In-between the light and the housingit should work loose, you might just need to do that around the light a few times. (I was petrified I was going to rip the ceiling, just take your time, once it starts loosing up it gets easier)

ITC had a bad run of lights in the 2014-2015 timeframe that had issues with the soldering on the board. Flickering/failures is a complaint across several manufacturers, not just Winnie. I got my replacements from Amazon and RVupgrades, I think both sites were around $22.
Old 06-14-2020, 04:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Powercat and Blastvalve, Thanks for the comments and instructions! That was very helpful. I'll follow up as soon as I get the new lamps.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I've done a web search on the part number on my existing LED, but no results so I imagine they are discontinued. I also searched the Winnebago site with no success.

Anyone have a replacement to recommend? Also, from the replacements I found, none look like they will retrofit. Does that mean I need to replace the housing too?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

On the topic of replacements, are there any that do a good job of offering more than two choices of brightness? Even low is too bright for my needs sometimes.

Tags
led, light, lights