Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 04:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Interior damage from heat Rant!

We are just getting out of the summer from hell here in southern Arizona and the interior of my 2019 Outlook did not fair well. The wallpaper is peeling, the contact paper on the cabinet frames is bubbling and peeling and it all looks very shabby, I'm not sure how to fix it. I sent an email to Winnebago asking but have not heard back yet. The warranty is up but I would like to know why this happened and if they can supply or sell me a solution to this.
I had all the windows covered with reflective bubble pack and the reflective pillows in all the vents except the fantastic fan vent which is covered with a rain hood and was left open with one window on the shaded side cracked open.
We have lived in the Southwest most of our lives. We even spent two years in Lake Havasu AZ in a Winnebago MH where it is even hotter than here and never had anything like this happen. Even though a ton of records were broken this year the hottest day we had at my location was 117 degrees, so I don't think this should have happened. This is my 13 RV and we have never seen this before.
Has anyone else experienced this and if so how did you handle the wall paper issue. I can rebuild the cabinet frames if I have to. I know this is an entry level coach but this is unacceptable for a near new MH at any level.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Well it seems no one cares, winnebago was contacted twice, never answered now they have handed the parts sales over to dealers. So I contacted lichtsinn to see if they have a source for the wood look rap material, they also never responded. In the end I gave up getting help and took it on myself, long story short after a very extensive search there does not seem to be a consumer source for any contact wood look paper that comes close to this finish, they all have a much more defined grain and none match the kona color. By removing it carefully and completely, cleaning the adhesive off and sanding, masking and painting the two vertical cabinet boards that the hinges mount to (these were the only ones that peeled) with Rust-oleum textured 223523 Autumn Brown paint. The match is so good it may never be noticed. The wall paper peeling was mostly at the top of the walls and I used 2 1/4 thin real wood molding painted a brown close match to the other wood finishes in the coach. In the end it really does look very good and I am anal about details like this. Needless to say the coach will be stored under cover next summer.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I feel your pain. It seems Winnebago is using some adhesives and materials that do not handle the heat very well. I suspect they are less toxic, lower VOC, smaller carbon footprint, blah, blah. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but they should at least make sure the materials work before substituting them for their not so green, but proven predecessors.

I have some peeling wallpaper, and the backsplash sheeting behind my sink, oven and counter top looks like a funhouse mirror. The wallpaper will be pretty easy, but the cabinets and window were put in after the backsplash. Great idea!
Old 10-21-2020, 11:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Yes, you got that right. My first class C was a 1975 Establishment and I am pretty sure it was built out of better materials then used on this coach and the workmanship was better for sure. The wallpaper insallation on this unit can only be described as a total mess, fortunately most of the really bad wrinkles are hidden in the overhead cabinets. My 1989 Super Chief was great, no issues so very disappointed in this coach.*

Tags
heat