Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Installing an extinguisher in the engine compartment?

Specifically in a Journey/ Meridian. I looked in there tonight and realized that's a really tight space. Certainly nothing can be mounted on the cover, and there is very little clearance on the sides. I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

With a Diesel it is probably a mute point but if you would feel more secure with a fire extinguisher, how about drilling a hole in the cover under the bed so that if there were a fire you could pull the plug that is in the hole that you drilled and unload the fire extinguesher into the engine compartment.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

HI Chuck,
I should have been more specific on the post... This is to mount an automatic release AFFF extinguisher. If something ever gets going back there, there is absolutely no possible way to kill it off, as there is zero access. That's why I'm looking for mounting and install options for an auto-release.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Check out the "NHRA" funny cars......They have those pricey units under the engine/body's....
Ain't going to be cheap tho.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimElliott View Post
Check out the "NHRA" funny cars......They have those pricey units under the engine/body's....
Ain't going to be cheap tho.

Jim
I know what I want to install, but don't have the room of a funny car (yeah, it's the same thing tho). I'm hoping someone has done the install on this model.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 06-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Specifically in a Journey/ Meridian. I looked in there tonight and realized that's a really tight space. Certainly nothing can be mounted on the cover, and there is very little clearance on the sides. I'm stumped. Any ideas?
check these folks out. their extinguishers are pretty small. i don't have one yet, but plan on one for my engine and genny.

Fire Fight - Performance Fire Suppression Systems
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I know who they are and have been talking to Ralph at length about engine and fridge experiences. BUT.... there appears to be no room to install anything by the engine, hence the question if anyone has already done this; where did the bottle go, and where did the head mount?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

(later that same year...)

Just finished mounting a 3L AFFF bottle in the coach in a place that was almost made for it and so out of the way it never occurred to me. I really wasn't too interested in mounting it under the coach being exposed to FOD, and the other 2 options were to mount it behind the radiator or under the bed and losing storage. Until..

Sitting on the floor looking at the engine I noticed the HVAC filter return cavity underneath the dresser, and it had an open space 7" wide; exactly the width of the bottle! After building a bracket to lift it over some wiring harnesses it fit like a glove. One hole into the engine compartment, and done.

Here's the return duct:

Finished with grille back on:

Discharge head over the CAT:

And if someone doubts this won't do the job, here's a "oops" trip:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully I won't ever be reporting back how it performed......

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

this guy has put on seminars at ralleys
Fire and Life Safety

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Good install. As you know, I put my cylinder under the coach along the frame rail since I really had no room inside the coach. Like you I hope to never find out how well it works but it gives me some peace of mind to know it is there. I also put the small Halon unit in the fridge compartment.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

That is a nice install. I'm just not sure I would want to go back if there were a fire underneath and have to access the tank to open the valve.

Same thing about the engine compartment access. I'd have to unlock two locks, same with accessing the hole in the BR.

I think I would just walk away and let the professionals handle it, and the insurance company.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
That is a nice install. I'm just not sure I would want to go back if there were a fire underneath and have to access the tank to open the valve.

Same thing about the engine compartment access. I'd have to unlock two locks, same with accessing the hole in the BR.

I think I would just walk away and let the professionals handle it, and the insurance company.
It's an automatic system and it's now fully charged.

I also added Halon to the fridge:

And this one because I was told to

SMLRANGER: That was probably your install the Ralph sent me tucked alongside the A/C?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Fascinating. Question, how hot does the senser have to get to break the glass and activate the auto charge? I imagine it can get pretty hot down in the desert pulling up a hill a 10k lb trailer.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I would be surprise if you couldn't recoop some of the money you spent through an insurance discount.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

Not sure what you mean about having access to open the valve if there were fire underneath. Once the stainless hose is attached to the tank and the dispensing nozzle, the valve lever is opened which charges the system. My valve is open and will stay that way. It will dispense automatically in the event of a fire.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

"SMLRANGER: That was probably your install the Ralph sent me tucked alongside the A/C?"

Yes, it was. He asked me to send him a pic.

"Fascinating. Question, how hot does the senser have to get to break the glass and activate the auto charge? I imagine it can get pretty hot down in the desert pulling up a hill a 10k lb trailer."

I believe the engine compartment nozzle is set at either 245 or 265 degrees. They instruct you not to install the nozzle near the exhaust or the turbo. It should be mounted near/over the fuel injectors since they are the most common source of a fire in a diesel.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

The idea behind an RV Automatic Fire System is "it's AUTOMATIC" and made for an RV. The idea of putting a dry powder extinguisher with a hose on it through a hole and then fireing it by hand. WOW that might put one in a very dangours situation. Are you sure the dry chemical extinguisher will do the job that you just risk your life for? Using Race Car systems that have to be modified for an RV might cost more then just getting a motorhome automatic extinguisher.

Thanks for your time
Mac
rvfiresafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkloster View Post
Fascinating. Question, how hot does the senser have to get to break the glass and activate the auto charge? I imagine it can get pretty hot down in the desert pulling up a hill a 10k lb trailer.
285 Degrees IIRC. I believe it's a NASCAR spec.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfiresafety View Post
The idea behind an RV Automatic Fire System is "it's AUTOMATIC" and made for an RV. The idea of putting a dry powder extinguisher with a hose on it through a hole and then fireing it by hand. WOW that might put one in a very dangours situation. Are you sure the dry chemical extinguisher will do the job that you just risk your life for? Using Race Car systems that have to be modified for an RV might cost more then just getting a motorhome automatic extinguisher.

Thanks for your time
Mac
I think it is the foam system but I believe he has attached the hose but has not opened the handle to 'charge' the line. In his pic, it looks like the handle is still in the closed position. If so, it is not automatic.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I think it is the foam system but I believe he has attached the hose but has not opened the handle to 'charge' the line. In his pic, it looks like the handle is still in the closed position. If so, it is not automatic.
It's on now.. Camera came before hand

Jeff - WA6EQU