Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Install window awning?

We have a new Minnie Plus 27 REOK with a 10' x 26" side window in the slide. Anyone installed something that long? I'm ordering a 11' SL window awning from carefree and would like some advice on drilling and sealing plus anything else I should know. Thanks for any help!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I installed one nearly that long on mine, there's really not much too it, aside from the cringe causing parts of drilling the holes for the track.
Find one of the Youtube videos, there are some that show how to do it, and it's really as easy as it seems.

Measure (a LOT, triple check). Put the putty tape on the back of the track and stick it to the RV. Measure again, and again, and again (you haven't drilled any holes yet, you can still make corrections).
Take a deep breath, drill lots of holes and put the screws in.

It's a 1.25 person job. You might want some help sticking the track in place. You will almost certainly want some help sliding the awning in to the track. One person to guide the awning in to the track, the other person to take the weight of the awning and push as needed.
Old 10-16-2019, 05:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Here is the 11' Carefree SL we put on our Navion about 4 months ago. I read and reread the installation instructions, watched the installation video linked below and went at it. It really is as easy as it looks. Hardest part is the first screw, then the rest is a breeze.

I ordered the Fullview fabric in black. Really like being able to see through it and not miss out on the view from the inside of the unit. Blocks the heat very well and provides some privacy from the outside view into the coach. Similar to the Magneshade windshield covers I use.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 ft Window Awning 2.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	172333   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7997.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	172334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8088.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	633.1 KB
ID:	172335  
TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:16 AM   #4
CoveredWagon

I have installed a few awnings on RVs, both as a side business and on my own RV. It is not a difficult job! When measuring and drilling, I use duct tape to hold the track in place. I triple check position and measurements, and drill! Remove the duct tape, add Dicor sealant tape the the back side of the track . Dicor is available at Amazon.com : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1,.
After the drilling is done, I follow these procedures:
1. Call a friend to help. Bribe him (or her) with beer!
2. Have the friend hold one end of the track while you put in a screw on your end.
3. Send the friend for more beer while you put in the rest of the screws.
4. Have the friend hold the arms in place while you measure and mark their positions.
5. Drill, add Dicor tape or putty and install. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN!
6. While the friend is supporting the roller tube, slide the fabric onto the tube, roll it onto the tube and attach the support arms.
7. If you have any more friends, invite them for a beer and put them to work!
8. While 2 friends are supporting the arms, 1 friend stands on a ladder feeding fabric into the track while you are on the roof (or another ladder) pulling the fabric. Assuming you don't fall off the ladder, this takes about 5 minutes for an 18' awning.
9. Attach the support arms to the RV.
10. Roll out the awning and add tension to the torsion springs. While a friend supports the end of the awning, remove the awning tube from the end of the tube with the locking mechanism first, add tension (use visegrip pliers) and lock in place. Re-install it on the support arm. Go to the other end and add tension and install it on the support arm. BE VERY CAREFUL! The torsion springs can hurt really bad if you don't keep control of the visegrip pliers!

CONGRATULATIONS! Celebrate, because you just installed an awning in about 1 1/2 hours...and had fun with friends!
CAUTION...don't drink too much until after the job is done or you may have to finish the next day!
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, install, window