Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Install a roof air on a 2004 Journey 34H

First....My basement is working fine.

I have read a few posts about adding a roof air to help with the cooling during real hot spells. This got me to thinking that I would like a roof air for "insurance" just in case my basement air went down, and needed air conditioning while waiting for repairs.

I have a fan in the center of the MH which would be an ideal spot to add a roof air. Looked on top and found that the gray water tank vent would hinder me using that opening without relocating the vent pipe.

Has anyone installed a roof air on a Journey 34H? What did you do with the gray tank vent?

Suggestions welcome.

Jim

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You can get some tips at John Canfield's site, but I do not think he had an issue with the vent since it is a 39' Meridian. Still, there may be other ideas there for you.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Just a idea but how about a portable AC unit? You can then take it only on the days that it is really hot.

Here is a link to Amazon
Old 07-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Just a idea but how about a portable AC unit? You can then take it only on the days that it is really hot.

Here is a link to Amazon
We are fulltime and don't think that I want to tote a portable around as we travel.

Thanks,

jim

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 07-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Oops. Forgot to include John's URL.

www.janeandjohn.org
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTotem View Post
Oops. Forgot to include John's URL.

www.janeandjohn.org
Thanks, I was looking for this.

Jim

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 07-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I installed a roof air on my 03 Journey 36dl, great mod. I did it myself, inspired by John Canfield's write up. On my unit, the vent you mention is near the refrigerator. That's the path I took. I pulled wire through Styrofoam, then took off ac roof vent and pulled it through rest of the way. I then ran wire encased in tubing down back of ac. From there, I went under shower, then under sink to my bedroom, encased wire in mold and ran to panel. I can keep my rv very cold even in direct sunlight. Totally worth it!
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardalo View Post
I installed a roof air on my 03 Journey 36dl, great mod. I did it myself, inspired by John Canfield's write up. On my unit, the vent you mention is near the refrigerator. That's the path I took. I pulled wire through Styrofoam, then took off ac roof vent and pulled it through rest of the way. I then ran wire encased in tubing down back of ac. From there, I went under shower, then under sink to my bedroom, encased wire in mold and ran to panel. I can keep my rv very cold even in direct sunlight. Totally worth it!
On my 34H, it looks like the gray tank vent will be in the way. Not enough room for the roof air between the vent and the leading edge of the roof air when installed.
I am going to go look at some roof airs and see the distance they hang over the edge of the 14" opening. One may be shorter than others.

Thanks,
Jim

1998 Jeep Cherokee
Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #9

Here is a sticky on the RVForum Winnebago forum with mine and John's link to our additional roof air installs. You need to be a member of RVForum.net to view my pictures. Installing a roof air to supplement the inadequate basement air was the single best mod I have done to our Winnie. And the install turned out to be very easy! No closed up cave like interior for us to keep it cool any more!

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=52634.0
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MntDriver
Here is a sticky on the Winnebago forum at RVForum.net with mine and John's link to our additional roof air installs. You need to be a member of RVForum.net to view my pictures. Installing a roof air to supplement the inadequate basement air was the single best mod I have done to our Winnie. And the install turned out to be very easy! No closed up cave like interior for us to keep it cool any more!

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=52634.0
There are also several follow up posts in the Winnebago forum there from us about the additional air installs.
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I'm toying with the thought of adding a roof air conditioner on my Journey. I've tried the stand a lone AC and it does work but it takes up a lot of space and it is heavy and awkward to move in and out of the RV. My thought would be to run the AC wire to the refrigerator area then down and back to the power bay. Looking at the trim around the refrigerator it might be better to use a different route for the wire. I thought I'd run a wire from the RV 120 volt breaker box under the bed to the power compartment ending with a female plug. The air conditioning wire would end with a male pigtail. I would normally have it connected to the line from the RV breaker box but would have an option of running an extension cord from the RV campground pedestal and running the AC from that source. That should allow both the basement air and the roof air to run at the same time in a 30 amp park. Just thinking about this, so any thoughts or suggestions?
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Well.....Looks like that I will not be able to install a roof air on my 2004 34H. The gray tank vent will be in the foot print of the roof air. Unless I can figure out a way to vent the tank, I'm helpless.

Thanks, Jim

1998 Jeep Cherokee

Tags
install, journey, roof