Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Injured by my Winnebago - and my own stupidity

We just came back from a great camping weekend except for the Friday night emergency room visit. I had everything setup except the fresh water hose. I keep the hoses and filter in a plastic storage tub in one of the bays. This tub is stacked on another tub under a metal shelf. It is a tight fit to say the least. Unbeknownst to me, the metal lip of the shelf above the tub is knife sharp. I was pulling the tub out when my middle finger got caught between the tub and the shelf lip and a cut nearly to the bone ensued. I probably uttered an expletive or two and then went inside to get DW to patch me up. I should have stayed outside since I was dripping blood.

An inspection of the wound showed a big flap of skin hanging off and good amount of bleeding but nothing too serious. She patched me up, I unhooked and off to the ER we went. 9 stitches and a tetanus shot later I was back in the rig driving back to camp. Needless to say, I will be changing out my tubs for ones that fit better.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

...and take a file to the lip of that shelf!
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

It hurts just reading about it
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
............After filing, cut a small vacuum hose to length of the shelf, then slit one side in order to slide on the sharp edge of the shelf, securing with some type of weatherstrip cement, like 3M. Good luck, and glad your ok, could have been a disaster. Travel safe,
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Ouch! Hope it doesn't smart for too long!

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
............After filing, cut a small vacuum hose to length of the shelf, then slit one side in order to slide on the sharp edge of the shelf, securing with some type of weatherstrip cement, like 3M. Good luck, and glad your ok, could have been a disaster. Travel safe,
David G.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
It hurts just reading about it
JohnRR you got that right.

RJay and Justimagination I intend to do something to that lip. Certainly I need to file it and then the vacuum hose idea sounds pretty good. I have to wait until I have two good hands but that shouldn't be more than a few more days.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

What? No one to sue? There goes your shot at a 42 QD. Hope it heals well and glad you will be able to remedy the situation.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickBBD View Post
What? No one to sue? There goes your shot at a 42 QD. Hope it heals well and glad you will be able to remedy the situation.
No one to suit? I think I will suit Wal-Mart for selling me the tub, Winnebago for building the motorhome, the hospital for giving me a tetanus shot, my mother for raising me to do this and I'm sure I can think of more.

Ok - maybe no law suit. Its a good thing I like the Vista since I can't get the 42 QD now.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
edj
Winnebago Camper

Sometimes I think that these RV's are out to get us. Last year, I was not paying attention to what I was doing and walked right into the corner of the bdrm slideout on my 5th-wheel. I gouged my head right down to the bone. Took 5 stitches to close up my head...... What is worse, a month or so later I 'almost' did the same thing again.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRoadie
No job worth doing is ever done until there is bloodshed... the older I get the more blood it seems to take to finish anything. Must be some sort of payback to the universe or the demons. Sweat, blood, anxiety are now replacing pride, vanity, and Ego..
The diet has changed; no snakes, bugs, or grasses to eat while waiting for "the right time", there are clean clothes, warm beds, great meals, and clean undies... Yea !

But everytime something seems to break there is that darned blood letting to contend with. And the aspirin therapy only makes it worse. Ya would think all that darned cholesterol would clog the cuts better !!!!!! Go figure.

Be safe out there, enjoy the open roads and try and thank a veteral for your freedom !
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
Sometimes I think that these RV's are out to get us. Last year, I was not paying attention to what I was doing and walked right into the corner of the bdrm slideout on my 5th-wheel. I gouged my head right down to the bone. Took 5 stitches to close up my head...... What is worse, a month or so later I 'almost' did the same thing again.
Being short has it's advantages.
Glassalley52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
The bedroom slide on mine is the only one high enough to do that but Winnibago did a smart thing. They rounded off those sharp corners. So it's only a bump instead of a gouge!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

If you gotta bleed at least give it to the Red Cross.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaRoadie View Post
No job worth doing is ever done until there is bloodshed...
I love it. I will have to use that on DW next time I'm bleeding.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
Needless to say, I will be changing out my tubs for ones that fit better.
I have 9 tubs in the street side slideout and it took a little time to get the sizes and all that stuff worked out but it is a good way to store your stuff. Sorry to hear about your trouble.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

You'll always be able to spot the DIY'ers in a crowd of RV'ers by the number of bandaids on their hands.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The Tetanus shot usually hurts more than the gash!!! Thankfully you only need one every 7 (or is it 10) years. In my years as a carpenter, as well as a really crappy self proclaimed mechanic, I put my tetanus shots to good use!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #18
edj
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
You'll always be able to spot the DIY'ers in a crowd of RV'ers by the number of bandaids on their hands.
And the scars are a dead-giveaway also....
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

If you want something to put over the edge of the lip that cut you, go to any auto parts store and get the door edge guard for a car. It will slip right over, you can cut it to fit the length you need, and it has glue inside it to hold it in place once it is on.
The door edge guard also works well on the bottom of propane tanks, keeping them from getting rusty.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

When we were camping with the grand kids I always worried they would run into the slide out sides. I bought 2 swimming noodles in bright yellow. Cut them in smaller pieces, made a slit length wise in each and slipped them on each edge of the slide out. It works great. the bright color makes them very visible. I still use them... for my sake!!!!

You can even pull the side out in with them attached but that probably is not advisable!
adventurous2 is offline   Reply With Quote