Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Inaccurate indoor temperature reading

We have the Coleman-Mach True Air Central Heating and Air Conditioning unit that comes with all the Winnebago/Itasca Coaches. The room temperature reading is off by at least 5 degrees. When it says that the room is 77 it is really 72 verified by a separate thermometer. We can also feel the difference. I took the cover off of the control unit and it appears to be a circuit board with no adjustment. Am I missing something? Is there an adjustment that I can make? Anyone else have this problem? Maybe I'll have to replace the board? Joe
Old 06-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

FWIW Some units have a remotely located temperature sensor. On my unit it is a small white piece of plastic, about the size of a half walnut shell, with slots in it. Make sure the sensor does not have an accumulation of dust or other obstruction to airflow either within the shell or outside. I have seen a relatively small amount of dust make a substantial difference.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I have the same problem with mine. Different model. Mine is zoned and 1 out of 3 readings are wrong and about 5degrees off. My sensors are mounted on the roof nearvthe intakes. In shop now to fix.
roboniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My RVP indoor thermostat does the same thing. I actually replaced it with a new one a few years ago and it is consistently inaccurate compared to other digital T stats placed nearby.

My theory is that there is heat created by the other electronic gizmos in the One Place panel which affects the reading. Mine is mounted above the panel for the inverter and I am sure some heat rises from the electronics in that panel.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboniko View Post
I have the same problem with mine. Different model. Mine is zoned and 1 out of 3 readings are wrong and about 5degrees off. My sensors are mounted on the roof nearvthe intakes. In shop now to fix.
i have to agree
my sensors are on the ceiling in the unit.
my TV;s heat flows up tot he ceiling and tricks the a/c into thinking its 77, so by the time it cools off the coach its nearer 70, so we just run the thermostat setting up a degree to compensate
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

It sounds like it is something that we can just live with. At least we know that others have the same type of problem so we don't have to waste money on a new circuit board. Thanks, Joe
Old 06-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My display is also several degrees above actual room temperature. I have had the entire thermostat unit replaced for another reason and the reading is still off about the same amount. It is frustrating but we have just learned to adjust.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

You might try pointing a ceiling air duct at OR away from the thermostat, depending on which way you want to adjust the "actual" reading....
Old 06-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
You might try pointing a ceiling air duct at OR away from the thermostat, depending on which way you want to adjust the "actual" reading....
That's a good thought, I didn't think about it and there is an air duct nearby. Thanks, Joe
Old 06-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagelpater View Post
FWIW Some units have a remotely located temperature sensor. On my unit it is a small white piece of plastic, about the size of a half walnut shell, with slots in it. Make sure the sensor does not have an accumulation of dust or other obstruction to airflow either within the shell or outside. I have seen a relatively small amount of dust make a substantial difference.
Is the sensor (walnut shell) placed in the unit or somewhere in the coach?

VBUGLES
vbugles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

One of my sensors is mounted under the front TV Cabinet the other is in the beadroom under a wall cabinet. They try to mount them about chest high, out of the sun.

2005 Honda CRV, Blue Ox, SMI Brake, TomTom Go 720
Flagelpater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Thermostat issues

I have a 38 T Itasca 2007. My thermostat has been driving me crazy. It will sometimes read 95 degrees when the room temperature is 78. The A/C will come on and stay on for hours once it has reached the set temperature.
I am constantly re setting the set temperature to get the room temperature to a comfortable setting. Basically there is no relationship between what the actual room temperature is and what the thermostat reads.
I finally found a reply that mentioned that the actual sensor for the room temperature is on the back of the thermostat housing. My thermostat is mounted on an outside wall of the coach to a metal control panel. When I removed the housing I found a 2" Diam. hole in the wall that the wires go thru. Now things are getting interesting. The temperature sensor is actually measuring the temperature inside the outside wall.
The cure...... Took some duct tape and sealed off most of the hole in the wall allowing just enough room to carefully feed the wires thru. Next, picked up a couple screws 1/4" longer than the two original ones that I removed. Next put two 1'/4" thick 3/8" nuts over the screws on the backside of the panel creating a spacer that held the thermostat away from the wall. It now works so much better. The temperature still reads slightly higher than the actual temperature but I don't get the wild swings in temperature reading every time the sun comes out and heats up the outside wall. I have set
a comfortable temperature in the coach and it has been coming on and off perfectly and maintaining the set temperature within One degree. Hope this works for other people. Total cost 48 cents.
Alan Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #13
Proud “No Intent” Owner

We sell homes, and I have yet to see one with a thermostat mounted anywhere but on an inside wall, for this very reason.